is too much protein bad?

Options
ive noticed that my food log tells me i go over my protein limits...is that really that bad? i thought lots of protein is great!

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As long as no more than 30% or so of your calories are from protein, you should be ok. If you are working out a lot, so do you need some extra protein.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Protein = muscles

If you are working out hard, lifting weights you need lots of protein.

Good luck!
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    I hear from ALOT!!! of people on here that MFP protein intake is way to low.
  • Kambriasgranny
    Options
    I am always ove on my protein too...but I thought protein was good and carbs were bad???? I am trying to limit my carbs and not really worrying about the protein.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm usually over in protein on here too. Your body needs lean protein to build muscle!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    The protein percentage on here is set very low. 15% I think? If you go into settings you'll be able to change it.

People vary thier protein percentage a lot!! It depends how you train and what type of diet you're on EG low carb eaters will eat a higher protein percentage. But a good guide is half a gram per pound of body weight for average exercisers. So 70g if you weight 140lbs. But people wanting to gain muscle double that to 1g per lb or even 1.5g per lb.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything can be bad for you.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

This article says as long as you don't do more than 30%.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Protein turn to acid in your body, if you are a body builder, then fine you know what you are doing, if you are a runner, make sure you have salad and such with your protein to balance it out! To much acid in your body does cause heart attacts.

Sorry to be so down, but hope that helps xx
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Your not going to eat to much protein. What your body doesn't use your kidneys will break down and get rid of, if you know what I mean. What everyone has said about to much protein is probably true if your body is not healthy, or you have a tendency to eat whole cows on a daily basis. MFP is setup to low on protein, so you'll be fine.