Help - my kids are sick of chicken!

Options
tmt2003
tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
DH and I are doing great with MFP but our dinners are almost always chicken. We're fine with it, but my one son is sick of chicken! Poor kid, I can't really blame him. I would like to make one meal for the family, that's not only calorie friendly, but healthy, easy and kid friendly. Looking for suggestions!

Thanks!
Teresa

Replies

• Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Do you guys eat beef? Brown some extra lean ground beef and make tacos, add it to spaghetti or other pasta. Put in on a flatbread with lo-fat cheese and pop it in the toaster oven (that's what I had tonight, awesome).
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken, Turkey Breasts, ground turkey, extra lean ground beef, fish
  • ROBINWILDCAT
    ROBINWILDCAT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tilapia fillets or grilled shrimp are wonderful alternatives. I broil them in the oven if a grill is not available. Make shish-ka-bobs with the shrimp and chunks of fresh veggies, brush lightly with olive oil and herbs. Very good and good for you!
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My bf ate so much chicken when he was little, that all his adult life and not even now he cannot stand it. He won't even kiss me if I ate chicken, he cannot stand the smell.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    How about turkey. I make turkey burgers or turkey meatballs. They are usually a big hit. As the other post says I get extra lean burger to make tacos. I make myself a taco salad and skip the shell.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    frozen shrimp is great. we add it to Rachael Rays zucchini bow tie pasta, risotto or stir fry. you could also do beef stir fry.

The biggest loser hoisen pork chops are great too

you can also do breakfast for dinner. bacon is a treat and not too bad calorie wise if you only have 2 slices.

Good luck!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    There's always fish or Tofu! Some things made out of tofu taste just like or even better than the non vegetarian friendly meals.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i just made some awesome turkey burgers tonight :D

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/basil-turkey-burgers-2/detail.aspx

used fat free greek yogurt instead of mayo, left out the milk (accidentally), used extra lean turkey and orowheat thins for buns, and topped with fat free feta- came out to 232 calories a burger! :)
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    It may be a good time to expand his horizons with some types of fish that you wont find at your average restaurant. Or maybe some asian inspired tofu dishes?
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OMG I have the same problem with my DH, except with fish!!!! Lol. (fish is so much cheaper, you see...)

When it comes to chicken, I agree with the above comment - ground turkey and ground chicken are great in spaghetti sauce, they're good for tacos, AND chili is fabulous with it. I'm sure you could make shepherd's pie with it as well, AND chicken pot pie.

Obviously serving sizes matter for you and your DH, but I'm sure if the kids ask for seconds that it's not that big of a deal, hehe.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Today's pork tenderloins are exceptionally lean and healthy! I use them a lot. Slice them into 1/2-inch patties and pound them flat - instant "veal" scallopini! Rub it with a spice rub and bake it. Throw it in a food processor with sausage spices and make sausage patties.

And don't overlook fish! Fish is great...
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 year old who is a picky eater. He eats turkey meatballs and believe it or not, he loves salmon but no other type of fish. They also make turkey sausage.
  • Ashley152
    Ashley152 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PUT DOWN THE CHICKEN! :-D really there is some AWESOME recipies out there that are healthy. my sister and i share two books they are called Comfort food diet cookbook(1&2) by taste of home they have pasta cassaroles and so much more. they have recipies for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack time. my two year old loves them. each recipie has a calorie count as well as sodium and fat. even diabetic exchanges. there are many many cookbooks out there for healthy cooking and your kiddos may even stop their boycoting dinner plans. good luck!
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    honey and i have four boys, ages 17, 14, 11 and 6. when we have the opportunity to all eat together we have "make you own" nights..."make your own pizza" is huge for us. we cook up several lean meats, grate up several low fat/fat free cheeses, slice up lots of veggies and we put everything on the table and use sandwich thins for the crust, jarred sauce(low sodium) for the sauce and we each make our own pizzas and put them in the oven to cook, meanwhile we all sit around the kitchen talking about everyones day. another big meal in our house, "make your own pasta or pasta salad". i make up a huge amount of whole wheat pasta and again slice, dice, shred and cut up all kinds of items and we all assemble our own dishes. yummy! good luck hon!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Fish? Beef? Pork?

You can get some nice little steaks or pork chops that are fairly low in fat and calories and very easy to cook.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the previous posts so others may have said this, but anyways...
    Pinto Beans
    Black Beans
    Lentils
    Fish (catfish, tilapia, fish sticks)
    Extra Lean Ground Beef
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I dont have children but I'm sure they would like the following:

Pitta pizzas
    Turkey shepherds pie with sweet potato mash
    Turkey meatballs with wholewheat pasta
    Fish breaded in panko breadcrumbs and baked with sweet potato fries (Skinny fish n chips)
    lean pork or turkey , batted out thin- breaded in panko and baked (Schnitzel)
    Lasagne, made with ground turkey and 1/2 the pasta replaced with courgette (Zucchini) slices
    Chilli
    Fish tacos
    Lean beef stir fry with noodles
    Portabello mushroom burgers
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You put chicken breasts in the crock pot until tender, shred, add bbq sauce and serve on buns. Tastes just like bbq pork sandwiches and is really good! :)
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I was just being lazy because chicken is so "easy" (to cook and count). My boys are happy to eat healthy so I want to keep them going and not have them start thinking that healthy = boring : )

It required a little more planning on my part to look up how much calories in different meals and I think I will have to cut back on some of my bedtime snacks (lol) but it's worth it for my guys to be healthy AND happy : )

so for this week:

shredded beef tacos, rice and beans
    spagehtii with marinara and italian sausage
    ham steak with sweet potatoes

My boys were SO excited! LOL.

Thanks-
    Teresa
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Beef
    pork
    turkey

There are SO many ways to do chicken as well. Maybe you just need to shake it up a bit.