Calories

Options
Each day I am told I am not eating enough. I am logging around 900 calories each day eating proteins veg and fruit with milk as my dairy and feel full. What else can I eat?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Anything you want.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    moiramoyes wrote: »
    Each day I am told I am not eating enough. I am logging around 900 calories each day eating proteins veg and fruit with milk as my dairy and feel full. What else can I eat?

Where's the grain? Add some grains in and that will fill out some calories. If you're genuinely struggling to eat over 900 calories, it's time to look at getting help from professionals that nobody on this app is knowledgable enough to help you with.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Eat larger portions of what you are eating. You are severely under eating if you actually are only eating 900 calories.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,599 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    If you are genuinely eating 900 calories, you are under-fueling your body.

Your body will revolt. Your hair will fall out (and nutritionally related hair loss can take years to grow back-and sometimes won’t).

You’ll lose muscle as your body cannibalizes existing muscle for fuel. And what’s the most important muscle in your body? Your heart. Yes, you can get heart damage - serious damage- from extended periods of under eating.

You’ll feel tired and wan, as your body saps energy to redirect elsewhere, until, eventually there is no energy to pull from.

You’ll be cold all the time.

Soooo many other reasons not to do this.

If it’s your path to quick weight loss, stop it. You’ll wind up in a binge and cut cycle.

Your body is a miracle. Look at your hands, that you -and everyone else- have five fingers. You are mathematical perfection. Look at how everything is interconnected, that your parts are innately designed to work in partnership. You are nature’s artwork. Why would you risk damaging you? Love yourself, because no one else will ever love you as much as you should.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    What they said.

So if you're eating lowfat dairy, eat full fat dairy. Eat cheese (full fat). Eat nuts, nut butters, seeds. Eat avocados. You don't say what types of protein you're eating, but if it's meat/fish, eat fattier types. Fatty cold water fish with Omega-3 fats may be especially useful, as many people under-consume Omega-3s. If you're eating low-starch/low-calorie vegetables, low calorie fruits, instead eat some corn or sweet potatoes or other starchy vegetables and sweeter higher-calorie fruits like bananas.

Getting adequate calories is the foundation for health and fitness, more basic than other aspects of nutrition, even.

Getting too few calories will often mean not getting adequate other nutrition on top of the inadequate calories, besides. Why? Because too little total food, no matter how "healthy" the food is, doesn't have the minimum necessary protein and fats and micronutrients that are essential for health. Even if you hit your macronutrient percentages, you can be getting too few absolute grams of the right kinds of fats and protein, nutrients you need for adequate healthy let alone to optimize and thrive.

Heck, if you can't get minimally adequate calories, eat some treat foods: A cookie, some ice cream, some chocolate. Too few calories is risky behavior. Treats are pretty much only risky if you don't get enough good nutrition from other sources, or you eat too many calories. Other than that, they're fine.

You're risking your health, if truly eating only 900 calories as a normal-sized adult. Don't do that.