Exercising with arthritis.

Options
Recently I was diagnosed with arthritis in my lower back (sacrum area) and both knees. In 2001 I fell down a flight of stairs and had a hairline fracture in my sacrum and it's bothered me ever since. But the pain had just lessened over the years. As for my knees, I was particularly active my Freshman year of high school in gym, competitive cheer and marching band, so I've had knee problems since then. ALWAYS getting platellar (sp?) tendinitis in them, my right knee in particular.

They weren't giving me problems until I started becoming more active in losing weight this past year. And with the shift in weather (rainy and cold), I am finding it increasingly difficult to exercise and get around with the pains I am having.

Obviously I'm going to have to go for physical therapy soon. I'm just wondering what I can do in the meantime for exercise. Something low-impact and not swimming (because I don't own a swimsuit, not able to find one this time of year and I can't afford to go to the pools around here). I'm open to any suggestions besides the swimming. My doctor suggested aerobics, but even that is too painful. I want to try yoga, but I know nothing about it, and yet again, cannot afford classes.

I feel like I'm grasping at straws, and I didn't even know where to post this. I just need some suggestions as for low-impact exercises and wondering if any of you have experience with exercising and arthritis.

Replies

• gods_gal
    Options
    I'm sorry that swimming is out for you because that's awesome for folks with arthritis. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and just swam tonight and it's so great. How about walking? I've been doing that since 6/27 and doing great. I have good shoes as I think that makes a difference with the knees and back. Add me as a friend if you'd like an encouraging friend here. I know how it feels to live in pain, unfortunately!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I also have arthritis in my knees, hips and lower back. I do alot of walking. My Orthopedic Surgeon told me that walking is ok but I should stop if it hurts. I couldn't hardly walk a half mile and would have to stop but now I can walk 4 miles or more before the pain starts. Building the muscles around those areas keep the joints stable.
  • nettie1969
    Options
    Hi Steph (Hope you don't mind me calling you that)

You have come to exactly the right place.

I have arthritis in my feet and back too. Plus a condition called compartment syndrome in my shins (basically, the muscles cannot expand enough to accommodate extra blood flow during exercise which - at its worst - causes the muscles to detatch from the bone).

I just started some yoga and am trying to do it. I have found that I cannot do some of the exercises at all ... but am slowly figuring out how to modify them or swap them out.

I got mine from the local video library to try - only cost me $3 for the week. Unfortunately their supply was a little limited but I do love the title .... Better Sex Through Yoga. Need I say my husband was in fits of laughter (I think he burned more calories than me while he watched).

Another fantastic resource for trying anything new is youtube .... lots of good quality programs there. Personally, I now use www.thepiratebay.org to download all my exercise DVDs (they have pilates, yoga and most of Jillian Michaels stuff) - all free (not sure how legal it is though).

I also have an "air walker". Google it! I find this no impact and helps heaps with mobility.

So definately give yoga and pilates a go. I have also gotten zumba and am going to try that this week. Don't be frightened to 'skip' the movements that are too difficult for you. And remember, take it very easy! Just keep moving.

Hope this helps.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and I find that walking is the best thing for me. I have done pilates in the past and it worked pretty well but now I can't get up off the floor anymore without a lot of pain, so walking it is. I've done the stationary bike but it often hurts my hips so I can't do it more than a couple of times a week. Walking I can do every day. I started out doing only about 15 minutes and I'm up to half an hour now. Good luck, I know how tough it can be. If you decide to try Pilates get one of the "easy" or "modified" dvds to start with-- some of them are pretty tough.
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I appreciate it very much.

I am going to give yoga a go as soon as I get my Wii up and running, since I have the Wii fit. Although, I learn more visually by physical example (if that makes sense), so I wish that there were classes around here that didn't cost more than $75 for beginners. Everything around here is expensive.

I'll look up the air walker and see how much it is and fit it into my budget. Thanks everyone! :)
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My Physical Therapist and orthopedic doctor suggested bike riding for bad knees and lower back pain. No impact. Good Luck!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my hips and shoulders and neck. I was swimming, but switched to hot yoga (Bikram) years ago and have had a lot of luck with it.

Your sacrum injury is tricky though -- Make sure you talk to the instructor first.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're having pain, but I'm glad you're moving forward in your attempt to exercise because the weight loss and improved strength and flexibility it brings can help with managing the pain. My doctor told me I have classic signs of rheumatiod arthritis (autoimmune disease kind) but my blood and bone tests did not confirm the diagnosis. I do have some mild osteoarthritis (wear and tear kind) confirmed. Fortunately, I have been having much less pain over the last few months so I'm hopeful the tests for rheumatoid are not ever going to be positive. I do find that low impact exercise is the best. Walking (invest in a great pair of supportive and comfortable walking shoes)---best on softer surfaces such as grass rather than concrete; Toning Exercises on a mat/carpet such as stretching, leg lifts, crunches (not full sit ups), and lifting light weights (2-5 pounds); riding a stationary or real bike. When I was having more foot pain, it was easier for me to exercise for a couple short intervals throughout the day rather than trying to go for longer periods. Also, breathe deeply and blow the air out as you exhale during exercise to keep you relaxed. Massage and hot/cold packs or hot shower after exercise has helped me as too. Wishing you wellness!!
  • sewedo1
    Options
    Sorry you're having pain, but I'm glad you're moving forward in your attempt to exercise because the weight loss and improved strength and flexibility it brings can help with managing the pain. My doctor told me I have classic signs of rheumatiod arthritis (autoimmune disease kind) but my blood and bone tests did not confirm the diagnosis. I do have some mild osteoarthritis (wear and tear kind) confirmed. Fortunately, I have been having much less pain over the last few months so I'm hopeful the tests for rheumatoid are not ever going to be positive. I do find that low impact exercise is the best. Walking (invest in a great pair of supportive and comfortable walking shoes)---best on softer surfaces such as grass rather than concrete; Toning Exercises on a mat/carpet such as stretching, leg lifts, crunches (not full sit ups), and lifting light weights (2-5 pounds); riding a stationary or real bike. When I was having more foot pain, it was easier for me to exercise for a couple short intervals throughout the day rather than trying to go for longer periods. Also, breathe deeply and blow the air out as you exhale during exercise to keep you relaxed. Massage and hot/cold packs or hot shower after exercise has helped me as too. Wishing you wellness!!
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    I've just been using New Balances for ages. Are there any better shoes I should look into? New Balances are so comfortable and when I was smaller, they didn't cause me pain. Now it seems no matter WHAT shoe I wear, it does.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You might want to get fitter for orthopedic inserts for your shoes.
  • sewedo1
    Options
    See if you can find a shoe shop that will fit you for the right shoes based on your foot shape/size (the ones I've visited do not charge for the service). I've had NB and they have worked, but in the last two years, I've enjoyed Easy Spirit walking shoes the most. I buy new ones about every 6 months since they take so much wear and tear although they wouldn't be considered "worn-out" and may be fine for just running errands....not exercise.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is walking / low impact cardio machines. If you can't afford to go to the gym, try craigslist for cheap equipment. At physical therapy they can help you with a work out routine to continue.
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    I don't have room in my house for equipment. Otherwise that would be an option. I have a small recumbent bike upstairs, but is in my sister's room and she's a bit rude, and probably wouldn't let me up in her room to use it. And I have the smaller of the 3 rooms in my house so I can't put it in mine.

My best bet is to wait until after my sister moves out (which hopefully will be soon-ish). And put equipment in there. Otherwise I'm screwed as far as that goes.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about getting special insoles, and maybe my insurance will pay for them. I know some orthopedists will make them so they are molded to the arch or whatever. I'm going to see about doing that.

Thank you everyone SO much for the suggestions. They are very, very, very much appreciated. :)