Im starving.

I have been on a low-carb diet for a few days now. At first I felt amazing and I thought yeah i can do this. It cant be that bad right? Fast foward to now, im so scared of carbs, eating too much, i feel like im going to develop a disorder. Im trying to loose 30 pounds but also feel satisfied. any help?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,738 Member
    Get off the low carb diet and reintroduce some whole grains. Low carb doesn't work for everyone.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,159 Member
    edited June 2023
    Maybe just try counting calories and eat what you were eating before, but try if you can to do it more than a few days. Counting calories has it's own frustrations as well. Taking the dopamine hit away and the effects on satiety hormones from people that consume a lot of food with sugar, refined grains with fat and salt is a tough one for sure and why most people have a hard time with low carb, generally speaking. Cheers
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2023
    Low carb is miserable if you love carbs. (Anything is miserable if you cut out things you love.) Try focusing on a calorie goal first and a protein goal second, which will help curb the hunger. Let the carbs and fat fall into place however.

For me, this means I DO occasionally make choices that don’t include a carb to keep calories lower. And i usually opt for whole grain bread for sandwiches, chickpea pasta instead of traditional, or farro, quinoa, or the like instead of rice. These options have more fiber and (sometimes) protein.

Don’t believe the hype that all carbs are bad and make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn makes you fat. How you get those calories matters for satiety.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,134 Member
    I have been on a low-carb diet for a few days now. At first I felt amazing and I thought yeah i can do this. It cant be that bad right? Fast foward to now, im so scared of carbs, eating too much, i feel like im going to develop a disorder. Im trying to loose 30 pounds but also feel satisfied. any help?
    Carbs are fine just try to limit the ultra processed ones. Carbs are your body’s preferred source of energy so just maintain a consistent weekly calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,159 Member
    Low carb exists along a spectrum from around 40% of total calories to as low as 30 grams, that's a huge range.

Low carb is also by design, a whole food diet which adds another restricting dimension and when combined with an extremely low carb intake it's about as restrictive any diet can be when compared to the SAD diet, so yeah, most people resist from a lifetime of eating a certain way, so maybe try adding in more carbs if your for some reason restricting them to those low numbers. Cheers
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    you said in another section of the community that you do not count calories but you severely under eat, perhaps eating too little in a way that may come back to hurt you. this is likely why you are starving