How do you rebuild a post-pregnancy belly?

Options
I was just wondering what kinds of exercises women with destroyed muscle walls are doing to rebuild their abs? Now, I am not seeking a six pack (that's about 75 pounds away, right now!), but I AM trying to rebuild a nearly non-existent post-pregnancy wall. It still has a dramatic POINT, because the muscles pulled apart. There's nothing like bulges with a tent-shape in the middle!! Right now, I am doing the normal sit-ups, leg-curls, and leg lifts to try to just bring strength back to the abdominal wall. Is there anybody here who has had to get ride of the tent-shaped belly that might have specific recommendations?

Replies

• jessicamckay13
    Options
    I love planks!
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Um Probably a stupid question, but WHAT are "planks?" *sheepish look*
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Um Probably a stupid question, but WHAT are "planks?" *sheepish look*

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/BWFrontPlank.html
  • mommawonder
    Options
    Planks are basically holding the "up" of a push-up. Its a yoga pose. If I understand correctly.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose my gut also! I''ve heard great things about planks. And I do them often. It's when your body is in a pushup position. And the only thing touching the floor are your forearms and toes. The position makes you have to use your abs. One of my trainer pals suggested holding the position for 30 seconds, and do three sets. It's no joke!
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    I actually made my stomach muscles worse after my pregnancies by doing crunches/bicycles/sit ups and pretty much all "Tradiditonal" ab exercises, so much so that I have an umbilical hernia and it sticks out all weird... so with that said, you want to work the inner abs, called the transverse abdominals, otherwise known as your inner girdle. Google "Transverse Abs" exercises and also "diastis recti prevention/help" so you don't make it worse like my fitness fanatic butt did, lol.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I actually made my stomach muscles worse after my pregnancies by doing crunches/bicycles/sit ups and pretty much all "Tradiditonal" ab exercises, so much so that I have an umbilical hernia and it sticks out all weird... so with that said, you want to work the inner abs, called the transverse abdominals, otherwise known as your inner girdle. Google "Transverse Abs" exercises and also "diastis recti prevention/help" so you don't make it worse like my fitness fanatic butt did, lol.

Thanks! That's just the kind of answer I was looking for. I was wondering whether I might be doing more harm than good, so I asked before doing it for long.
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Was going to say the same thing. It's a shame the medical profession don't tell us about this problem, just leave us to get on with it and makes ourselves worse off in many cases.