How long does water weight stick around for?

Options
Ive been losing weight slowly but over the weekend i had a big cheat day and showed a 5 lb weight gain. Usually it does down after a day or 2 but its been 4 days and im still up 5 lbs. Is this normal? Or did i actually eat so much i gained it back 😔

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have had water weight stick around for a week. Several years ago I was in a physical therapy program and they weighed us every month. I got weighed right after the 4th of July. I had eaten out, gone to parties, for 3 days over that 4th of July weekend. I was up 7 lbs when I weighed in. A week later, I asked to be weighed again, and the 7 lbs was gone. I got weighed on a Tuesday, that weekend, I peed literally every hour for 2 days. Weighed again the next Tuesday and the weight was gone. So it stuck around for a week.

There is no way you ate 17,500 calories in a day or two over your maintenance. It's water weight and probably extra food waste, and takes time to come off.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well... to gain 5 lbs you'd have to eat a considerable amount of calories. Depending on how big of a cheat day you had, you could, but that would be quite a cheat day. It could be some weight, some water weight, some extra still moving through your digestive system. I'd say let it go and step off the scale for a week. Weigh yourself mid next week and see where you are at. There are a lot of factors that go into a scale jump and it isn't going to help your mindset to be checking day after day. Let it go for the week. If next week, you are still 5 lbs up, then consider it weight gain. Keep tracking, being active and doing what you need to do to reach your goal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    To gain 5 pounds, you would need to eat roughly 17,500 calories above your weight maintenance calories - not just above your weight-loss calorie goal. That's really a lot: I think you'd know if you did that, even if you didn't log the whole thing. (I would recommend logging over-goal days, personally, just sayin'.)

If you didn't eat 17,500 calories above maintenance or anywhere near it, you didn't gain 5 pounds of fat, so it's mostly water weight.

How long will it last? It will vary, partly because of other conditions that can add some water retention. For me, food-triggered water retention (with no other factors) lasts anything from a couple of days to a week, rarely longer.

When I start strength training after a long break, I tend to add a couple of pounds of water weight and hang onto it as long as I continue progressive strength training on a frequent/regular schedule (but some other people have different experiences with that). When I take another long break from strength training, I usually see a couple of pounds drop on the scale with no other obvious trigger.

You appear to be female and young enough to have menstrual cycles. Most women have hormone-related water retention fluctuations that can happen any time(s) during their cycle, often on a semi-predictable schedule. A few women even say they only see a new low weight once a month at the same point in their cycle, though that isn't the most common pattern.

If you happen to have cycle-related fluctuations, it's theoretically possible that your cheat day added some water weight at a low point in your cycle-related fluctuations, then as the food-related retention dropped off over the usual couple of days, but the cycle-related water retention increased to fill the gap, so your scale weight stayed up from those triggers happening in a particular sequence.

There are dozens of things that can increase water retention either gradually or suddenly, so the above scenario could happen with any of those, too. Some examples are a respiratory allergy or a cold, exercise that holds water for muscle repair, a minor injury or illness that increases water retention for healing or inflammation reasons, and many, many more.

I'd suggest you not panic or try to take any dramatic correction measures until you've gone through at least one full menstrual cycle (if that applies) so you can compare body weight at the same relative point in two different cycles.

Even if you don't have cycles - I don't, because menopause - I'd give it like a month. I was losing slowly last time I resumed strength training so added those usual couple of pounds. There was around a month where even my weight trending app thought I was gaining or maintaining, and if I'd only been looking at the daily scale weights, it would've been confusing even longer.

Bottom line is that if you're doing the right things on average for calorie balance (food calories below all-source calorie burn), you're losing fat. The only issue is when water will stop playing peek-a-boo on the scale with the gradual fat loss.

If you haven't, this thread would be a good read, especially the article linked in the first post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

High odds everything's going to be fine, just from the passage of more time. Meanwhile, you have a useful opportunity to learn more about how your personal unique body responds to unusual circumstances. Hang in there!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering if you have menstrual cycles, and are close to ovulation or premenstrual.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. Keep going! You’ll get there. Sometimes my weight pops up several pounds just from a day at maintenance calories or very slightly above. I’m one of those who only sees new low weights around days 17-20 of my cycle. I go literally 3 1/2 weeks without the scale budging and then WHOOSH- several pounds gone overnight. This has been my pattern for the entire year and a half that I’ve been tracking.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    when i do that, i literally stay off the scale for weeks and just keep counting!
  • NFMendoza
    NFMendoza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you, i never thought our menstrual cycles would affect our weight except when im on my period i do gain weight.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You can definitely gain water weight with a salty meal like you described with the Chinese buffet. Even if you stayed within your calorie limit. And al.ost everyone gains with the hormonal ebb and flow of their cycle. Don't worry. These are very common occurrences. The water retention will go away.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One of my gal pals literally gains anywhere from 6-12 lbs when she's on her period. It drops pretty quickly but she'll see a big flux the week before and the week of her period. It happens. And then it goes away. By now she just knows to stay off the scale for a week or so.