Hello Everyone

Options
Hi! I'm finally starting my weight loss journey and was wondering if anyone wanted to be friends and you know, give support, helpful tips, etc etc.

I'm over 200 pounds overweight, I have diabetes, thyroid issues, and polycystic ovarian syndrome. I'm starting out very slowly because, sadly, I get winded taking a shower but can apparently do 5 minutes or more without stopping on a rowing machine. My fiance says it's because I take my showers too hot, oops? Anyways, I am starting out slow with trying to do at least 10-20 minutes EVERY DAY since it isn't a lot of time. I see a fitness instructor today but I have a feeling they may tell me to just keep doing what I am doing until I get used to doing it and then we can plan more.

I'm slowly trying to eat healthier as well, it's not easy, things are expensive. Haha. Anyways, hello, how are you? How long have you been on your journey? What are your goals?

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,357 Member
    Options
    Hello, how are you? How long have you been on your journey? What are your goals?

I am shooting for losing 100 lbs.

I've been on this journey since 1998 ;)

MFP is varied, I've been on and off it work a few years, and found parts of it very supportive, educational, and worth the time.

I think it really shows it's values when you, me, or anyone is consistent...like a gentle accountability friend...there for you, supportive, non-judgmental, and occasionally blunt.

Bookmark this thread, and then come back tomorrow and engage with me and anyone else who commented. That's when it'll show itself to you. Good luck and see you tomorrow.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Hi! I'm finally starting my weight loss journey and was wondering if anyone wanted to be friends and you know, give support, helpful tips, etc etc.

Hello @KatPerry1992 I see you reached out. Great... Try to be daily, please "reply" here tomorrow and the next day. Post, write, engage, build momentum.

• KatPerry1992
    KatPerry1992 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hello @KatPerry1992 I see you reached out. Great... Try to be daily, please "reply" here tomorrow and the next day. Post, write, engage, build momentum.

Oh, sorry about that, I am new to the platform and still trying to get the hang of it. If I ever don't respond here just send me a message or something :)
  • chris_in_cal
    edited June 2023
    Options
    No, you are great...this is a big unwieldy webpage...not super intuitive. Writing here in this "Introduce yourself" public space is the best way to enroll some of the smarties here into what you are trying to do. We got Ph.d/PT/people with 10 years of logging on MFP/people who lost their excess weight and maintained the loss for years....all kinds. Here in this space is the best place to engage.

• PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat! I'm also diabetic and came back to MFP the day I was diagnosed so I can keep better track of my carbs/calories. My goal is to keep my diabetes under control and lose about 50 - 60 more pounds. I wish you the best!
  • franksl87e
    franksl87e Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat! I'm on day one (maybe starting on a Wednesday is the way forward?) I have around 100lb to lose. My partner is also trying to lose weight and although he isn't calorie counting he is making healthier choices and eating what I eat. We gym together, we swim together. I'm hoping we can give eachother the drive we need to better ourselves. Thankfully other than general tiredness and shortness of breath if I exert myself more than is normal, my health is actually pretty good for the moment.
    I had my light bulb moment yesterday when I saw a picture of myself about 4 stone lighter, 7 years ago. Went out for the 'big shop' and didn't buy the usual junk that I would. I've tracked every little thing that has gone into my mouth today including nicotine lozenges!!
    I can't say I'll check in on here every day as I forget the community bit is on here but feel free to send me a message if you want to help eachother out.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hoya, I'm on a journey to lose 110lbs. I've lost 70 so far since 2021, I'm losing slowly but it's the first time it's sticking!

Feel free to add me, I love friends with open diaries to share ideas with.
  • franksl87e
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Second day is always a killer. I ache. I was late getting up for the kids. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to bed when they go to school, unless that lovely man of mine moves his backside and makes me get gym ready!!
    I've planned some foody bits but no meals yet.
    I've started inputting recipe information for some of my go to meals/homemade snacks so I can just choose and add.
    How are you feeling about today?
  • Aphrodeity
    Aphrodeity Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello :)
    I have 121 lbs to lose. Just wanted to say hi. I think you have the right attitude starting slowly that’s exactly what I’m doing. I think too often we put so much pressure on ourselves to make big drastic changes and that’s why it never works. Little changes.
    I’m starting off by calorie counting but eating what I want. I’m not making an effort to eat anything in particular. It’s important for me to feel satisfied and full cause if I don’t it just leads to an inevitable binge and I’m back to square one. Anyways, good luck on your journey! We got this!! 💪
  • franksl87e
    Options
    We didn't go back to bed, we went for a swim instead. Not the best swim due to the pool being pretty busy so I'll probably be dragging my girls out tonight for another walk. I'm just glad we, at least, did something! I'm feeling really confident, with how I'm getting on but I won't be weighing until Tuesday.
    I'd love to start actually meal planning again but it depends on my shift and his shifts and how busy the day is etc, there's a lot to factor in and my brain doesn't want to!
    I calorie checked one of my go to quick meals that I'd normally have for work, once upon a time they were 'syn free' and eventually just a few syns on slimming world, it comes in at about 650 calories and isn't particularly filling. Massive shocker.
  • Tat2Baby23
    Tat2Baby23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Back at this again after scaring myself on the scales. Need friends willing to question my choices, and keep me in line, please!
  • omgitsjessika939
    omgitsjessika939 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would love to be friends! I'm new to MFP & just starting my health journey. Baby steps right? I am looking for accountability buddies! I struggle with consistency & staying disciplined for more than a week or so. Please feel free to reach out to me, good luck in your journey. ♡
  • franksl87e
    Options
    How are you getting on Kat?
    I'm trying to gear myself up to go to the gym. My gym buddy is off to work and I'm so not feeling it. I need to nip into town anyway so would make sense for me to just get ready and go. I'm not going to get a chance to go over the weekend as the bonus kids will be here and Dean is at work all weekend. I can leave mine for an hour, as they're old enough, but his are just little.
    Foodwise, I'm killing it. I usually do for the first week or so but I'm hoping that because I gave massive support at home and now my girl at work is also changing her lifestyle, it will be easier this time.
  • KatPerry1992
    Options
    Hey everyone, I cannot add people from here for some reason, it keeps giving me a 404 error saying your profiles cannot be found.
  • KatPerry1992
    Options
    I keep forgetting to come here because I don't get a notification but I swear if you message me or comment on my profile on stuff I will be more available. Anyone can send me a request!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Hey everyone, I cannot add people from here for some reason, it keeps giving me a 404 error saying your profiles cannot be found.

That's a bug. A few years ago MFP changed so there is your MFP profile (the old one) and also this "community" page. They are supposed to, and sometimes they do, seemlessly go between each other. Lately it's giving me the same error.

To be proactive, I need to copy the username here e.g. (KatPerry1992) then get over to my MFP profile page and over there paste into search the name. Your MFP profile pops up, and there you can click an "add as a friend."

Yes MFP can be broken at times, but I encourage people to take the initiative to make it work, as writing "add me" is pretty low odds that someone else is going to take the initiative to go through what ever is needed to add.

Sometimes it works, that's the good news.

• chris_in_cal
    Options
    One other suggestion @KatPerry1992 become familiar the the "My Bookmarks" it's an option to click on most of these pages.

On your thread (This thread) up near the top where you wrote the title "Hello Everyone" to the right is a little bookmark icon. If you select it, it will but this into My Bookmarks, so much flies by here in the forums it can be hard to follow something important. Next time you can click "My Bookmark" and it'll show you if anyone has asked something, or written something in your thread. Give it a try B)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Oh, sorry about that, I am new to the platform and still trying to get the hang of it.

You've rockin' MFP for a month or so, what do you think? Have you figured out some more of it's weird bells and whistles?