Belly Fat

Options
I am 54yr old started 10K steps Goal 6 days in week and cut on sugar intake since 1-1/2 month.
Also logging my meals in app to keep an eye on calories intake.
So far I lost 5 kg in 1-1/2 week and reduction of 2 holes on my waist belt.
My main focus on the fat around stomach and love handles that area looks like a stubborn fat area!
My question to community is to lose fat from that area, do I need to add additional exercise specifically or keep on doing what I am doing.
Thanks

Replies

• ctubd1
    ctubd1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks @sijomial
  • ctubd1
    Options
    Any more tips other than being consistent @sijomial
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    ctubd1 wrote: »

I’m not sijomial but you might be interested in my experience. On 26 Dec 2022 I was 102.9kg, and as of yesterday I am now 83.5kg. I’ve lost nearly 20kg. I had quite a belly and now I have flat stomach.
    Diet:
    I adopted intermittent fasting regime (16/8). On the days I work (4days per week) I don’t eat anything until 12.30pm and I break my fast with a high-protein (45g protein) bar. I then don’t eat anything until evening and I have a regular meal. I log my calories to ensure I am maintaining a calorie deficit. On my days off I am a little more lenient but usually end the day with a calorie deficit.
    Except for the protein supplement, my diet is essentially high-protein whole food-based and I avoid simple carbohydrates like sugar and white bread.

Exercise:
    On the three days per week I am not working I do one hour of resistance (free weights) followed by up to 2 hours of cardio. Usually it’s about 1.5 hours with one hour on a step machine and 30m-1 hour on a rowing machine. Recently I have started zone training on the step machine to improve my cardiovascular fitness and the additional calorie burn.
    I also walk the dog ( usually about 6km but yesterday it was nearly 10km)
    On the days I work I hike around an alpine lake with a backpack (6km in 1h10m).
    What you eat when you eat is key for weight loss. But supporting your weight loss is how many calories you can burn on a daily basis through exercise. Also, having access to those additional “exercise” calories you can eat while still maintaining a calorie deficit just makes the process of weight loss a little more comfortable.
    Wishing you all the best!
    Ben

• DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    ctubd1 wrote: »

Wait just a minute, you don't get off that easy. :)

I'd like to know your experience since you started this thread back in the middle of the pandemic. Have you been able to stay consistent? Are you still losing around the middle? What has worked for you and what hasn't.

I was surprised to learn that excessive visceral fat (belly fat) is more of a risk factor to overall health than smoking. It is the pathway to a whole family of problems: Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), metabolic syndrome, Type 2 Diabetes - the list goes on. To reduce it we need to reduce our body fat percentage overall. Burn more calories than you consume. Find the easiest, most sustainable method of getting rid of body fat and keeping it off is the best tip I can give. There is a lot of advice and real life experiences shared here on the forums. Try some of those methods you think could work for you. If it doesn't work, try something else.

Unlike many others here on MFP, I hate exercise and IF or OMAD makes little sense to me even though it clearly works for others. Before I could lose weight and reduce body fat, I needed to get control of my insulin resistance by eliminating added sugars (there are many different types), limit high glycemic carbs and move more throughout the day. I've lost 14 inches around the waist over the last 16 months at age 65-66. The best pathway to reduced body fat may be totally different for you. Find what works for you and the belly fat will go away. Good luck!

• ctubd1
    Options
    Being consistent is big fight for me either that’s walk or eating as my work requires to move country to country
    I brought down my weight to 104 kg but I lost consistency
    Now again I have to fight with that plateau of fat.
  • DFW_Tom
    Options
    I hesitate to say traveling around for work makes being consistent impossible, but it sure makes it harder than if you were able to set a routine and control what goes into your meals. Others have done it successfully. You might try posting a new question asking for specific suggestions on reducing body fat from people who travel for work all the time.

Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Just in time for muscle beach season!

I've just dropped about 7.5kg and I also lost two belt holes. Actually, the belt looks like it's going to wear those 2 belt holes out since I've keep gaining it back! I'll see if I can hold the line this time.

Anyway, the fat comes off wherever it is. If you tend to gain it in your stomach, it will come off there (and everywhere else). For example, your man-boobs may seem a bit less pendulous as well. And, with weight loss, everyone will tell you your "face looks thinner." It's weird.

It is still well worth exercising. It helps with everything, body and mind!

Best of luck!
  • DFW_Tom
    Options
    lol, tips for dealing with reduced waistlines I have:
    - tuck that loose, sagging belly skin in
    - new belt holes can be drilled and the ends trimmed with a sharp knife, repeat as needed
    - I grew a beard since weight loss
    - Moobs - wear a swim shirt at the beach to hide the flaps
    - Bat wings - wear a swim shirt with long sleeves if it matters to you

Thrift stores are your friend as the belly fat comes off. Donate your oversized old clothing and take a deduction for charitable gifts next April.