Kg to stone

Options
anitakelly
anitakelly Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2023 in Getting Started
So I weigh for my pt in kg but I measure in stone so today I weighted at 11.7 however when I then measured in kg I was 73kg which when you conver ie 11 .4.

Is this just a bad scales

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Did you do those weigh-ins one immediately after the other, no activity in between, no eating/drinking, wearing the same clothes/shoes, no visit to the bathroom in between? If all of that is true, and all of it was on the same scale, then maybe iffy scale.

If all of that list of things were not true, like it was different times of day and you'd done things in between and/or were dressed differently . . . then you just weighed a different amount at the different times.

Our bodies wander around up and down a few pounds over the course of a normal day, even without considering the clothing differences. It's mostly because of shifts in retained water - we just drank some, we urinated, we sweated some out, we exhaled moisture, whatever; or changes in temporary contents of the digestive tract, basically things that are on their way to becoming waste. When you drink a cup of water, or eat an apple, it weighs just as much inside your body as it did in the cup or in your hand, respectively. Most of that weight ends up in the toilet eventually, if I may be graphic. Only the calories in the food have the potential to affect your body fat.

If it was a different scale, well, they were calibrated differently, and there's no way to know which is right. It doesn't matter, really. Pick one scale and use it to gauge your progress. Ideally, weigh yourself at the same time of day - first thing in the morning after bathroom, before eating/drinking is good. Also, weigh yourself in the same state of (un)dress every time.

Then look at the trend in your weight over 4-6 weeks, whole menstrual cycles if you're a woman of that age. Shorter term fluctuations are more about water and waste than about body fat levels. Body fat is the part we're really trying to lose, right? That happens a little bit daily, plays peek-a-boo on the scale with the bigger water/waste shifts, but shows up in that multi-week weight trend.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    73kg = 160.9 lbs.
    put in a calculator or digital scale it comes out a 11. 42 stone rounded down. 11.5 stone rounded up. Your scale rounded down.
    This is a digital measurement so 1/10 of a stone.

If you take the 160.9 lbs and do a simple division by 14 you get 11 stone 6.9 lbs. or rounded up 11 stone 7 lbs.

the difference in your miss matched weight is that between one measurement divides by 10 rounding down to 11.4 = 11 and 4/10 stone.
    The other divides by 14 rounding up to 11.7 = 11stone 7 lbs.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, h.