Am I calculating it wrong?

Options
Hey guys
I wanted to know if I was right about my little summary. I've read some articles and the downfall of not eating your required calorie intake.
My calorie intake is 1200 per day & sedentary level. 1200 was what MFP required because I want to lose 2 pounds a week. Soooo, does it mean without exercising and still consuming 1200 calories a day, I will still lose 2 pounds a week ?
Correct me if I'm wrong please so I know what I should fix.

Replies

• Prettypiglett
    Prettypiglett Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't really answer your question but I am on the same amount of calories a day, have been trying to stick to exact calories and my weigh is falling off. In two weeks lost 9lb so far! If I have exercise I am allowed extra calories. But then I find it hard to eat those extra calories!
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are correct. The two pounds a week is just an estimate. You may lose a little more or a little less each week.
  • TheGoalDigger
    TheGoalDigger Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You are correct. The two pounds a week is just an estimate. You may lose a little more or a little less each week.

Best news I ever heard lol. I've been working out and still eating under my calorie goal (no wonder why ive been starving) . My question is does it matter if I work out now or after reaching my weight loss goal?
  • Prettypiglett
    Prettypiglett Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    But you have to eat that 1200 calories a day (or you go into starvation mode) and any extra exercise (depending on what it is and the amount) you get extra calories on the top of it :)
  • TheGoalDigger
    Options
    But you have to eat that 1200 calories a day (or you go into starvation mode) and any extra exercise (depending on what it is and the amount) you get extra calories on the top of it :)

Thanks ! Now it makes sense but u find it hard to eat exactly 1200 without exercise, I usually have 60 or less remaining, is that still bad?
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie a day intake and I work out everyday and I have to actually look at my reports to see if I have taken a day off. I try to do that every week just to give things a break. I am not a big fan of eating back my exercise calories, although, sometimes it is nice to have those extra calories on the carbs and fat end of things. I find that just by exercising, it balances those things out for me. If I tried to eat back my workout calories, my carbs and fat would be over just to eat them back....not worth it to me. I average 2 lbs. a week...in that area.... by eating my 1200 a day and working out. I get very little exercising outside of actually exercising though. I am a home body and don't go out more than maybe 2 or 3 times a week for groceries, to pay bills, or to go get bottled water. I think I am different than most others though.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Work out now and after. Forever. But you'll love it.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Thanks ! Now it makes sense but u find it hard to eat exactly 1200 without exercise, I usually have 60 or less remaining, is that still bad?

1200 is a generally accepted guide, it's not a magic number. Depending on lots of factors (height, age, activity level, current weight), for some people even that may be too low. I'm not sure if I fully understand when you say "you have 60 or less left" but if you mean that you are regularily hitting 1140 to 1200 you should be ok.

Just remember: MFP calculates a calorie deficit for you already. The number you should be aiming for is that number (the net calorie)

So if your goal is 1200 per day and you burn 400 exercising then you actually have 1600 as your allowance for the day to maintain your 1200 goal.

Calories consumed minus calories burned = net calories

So using the above example:
    1200 - 400 = 800 (too low)
    1200 - 400 burnt from exercise + 400 additional calories consumed = 1600 consumed but 1200 calories net

I hope that is a bit clear.

To put it simply: the more we exercise, the more we get to eat :bigsmile:
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight at 1200 calories a day but ask yourself why you are not upping the anti regarding exercise. Believe me you will increase your weight lose and feel great if you exercise as well.
  • TheGoalDigger
    Options

1200 is a generally accepted guide, it's not a magic number. Depending on lots of factors (height, age, activity level, current
    weight), for some people even that may be too low. I'm not sure if I fully understand when you say "you have 60 or less left" but if you mean that you are regularily hitting 1140 to 1200 you should be ok.

Just remember: MFP calculates a calorie deficit for you already. The number you should be aiming for is that number (the net calorie)

So if your goal is 1200 per day and you burn 400 exercising then you actually have 1600 as your allowance for the day to maintain your 1200 goal.

Calories consumed minus calories burned = net calories

So using the above example
    1200 - 400 = 800 (too low)
    1200 - 400 burnt from exercise + 400 additional calories consumed = 1600 consumed but 1200 calories net

I hope that is a bit clear.

To put it simply: the more we exercise, the more we get to eat :bigsmile

Thank you! I totally understand it now
  • TheGoalDigger
    Options
    You will lose weight at 1200 calories a day but ask yourself why you are not upping the anti regarding exercise. Believe me you will increase your weight lose and feel great if you exercise as well.

Thanks, I will most definetely do that
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Dont forget you actually burn calories sitting in front of a computer reading this...about 50 calories per hour I would guess in your case (but its only a guess). instead of sitting down if you were to do some exercise for a hour and use say 250 calories... you must deduct the 50 calories you would have burnt anyway by doing nothing, so that would mean you had burnt 250 - 50 = 200.

Dont be a scale slave !......when i was younger (yes I was young once ) and very very slim and fit , my weight could go up and down per day depending on many factors. If you have been starving yourself and then you start eating your bodys weight could go up for a couple of days or weeks (we are all different) until it adjusts itself.

Woman of course have other factors to look at like your "monthly" menstrual cycle which does not necessarily take place once a month. The average menstrual cycle time for women is 28 days, but your cycle may vary anywhere from 20 to 42 days and still be considered normal, but can cause water retention...so on the scales it looks like you are not losing weight !

I wouldnt worry about weight gain or loss over a short period, but look say over a week or two.......try eating all your claories back over a period of say a month and see what happens......and dont forget if you are doing strength training you will put on lean muscle which is denser than fat so your weight might go up slighyly but you will look more athletic.

I weigh 315 lbs and so have got loads to lose.....its very frusrationing for me not to see the scales move for a few days...I now weigh myself (or try) just once a week on a monday mourning first thing as soon as I get out of bed.

Hoping this helps
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    Dont forget you actually burn calories sitting in front of a computer reading this...about 50 calories per hour I would guess in your case (but its only a guess). instead of sitting down if you were to do some exercise for a hour and use say 250 calories... you must deduct the 50 calories you would have burnt anyway by doing nothing, so that would mean you had burnt 250 - 50 = 200.
    @oswaldbowser: I can understand the theory behind this however it is incorrect.

You don't deduct calories you burn by doing nothing (BMR) from the calories you burn from exercise.

Even though you would burn a number of calories by doing nothing those calories form part of the calories burnt.

That would be like saying "I drank a glass of water but there is an evaporation rate for water. So I have to calculate the evaporation rate of water and deduct the amount evaporated from the glass I drank. Therefore I didn't really drink a glass of water, I only drank 0.99 of a glass"
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am talking about the theory of eating back calorie's .......in other words she would not have to eat back 250 calories only 200 as she would have burnt 50 if she was to do nothing anyway...............you dont eat back your calories of ever hour you just sit do you..as MFP works it out for you

So sorry but I was right !
  • Thomasm198
    Options
    I am talking about the theory of eating back calorie's .......in other words she would not have to eat back 250 calories only 200 as she would have burnt 50 if she was to do nothing anyway...............you dont eat back your calories of ever hour you just sit do you..as MFP works it out for you

So sorry but I was right !

headdesk.gif
    This was discussed many many months ago in another topic. I can't find the link to that topic at the moment so I can't post the link.

I was going to try and explain things but to be honest, I can't be bothered. You're clearly convinced that you are correct so no amount of discussion will change your mind.

Good luck to you.