I had a break of several days from going to the gym. How can I get back into it?

Options
hoarc1987
hoarc1987 Posts: 52 Member
It seems like I have less free time and am overwhelmed and afraid to spend time on the gym. Any advice?

Replies

• carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've had to go back after injuries/illness and it's always hard to get back into the swing of it the first few days. Try something easy that you like to do. For me that was going on the recumbent bike on a light setting and reading. Didn't do much in terms of fitness compared to what I normally do bu it got me into the gym again. Best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    Getting back on the horse can be challenging because you got used to the habit of not going. No time like the present to restart. Give it a week or two of consistency and it gets easy again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Like you said, it only seems that way. One foot in front of the other. :) Cheers.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Focus on showing up consistently without trying to have the world's greatest workout. Just go. Do some fun things and let yourself play like a kid at recess. As you do that, your mood will shift and you'll be ready to focus and make progress again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Good advice above.

I'd add that often there's something in our human brains that tends to resist change, even positive change. That can blow up the perception of difficulty involved in doing a new or resumed thing, and make it seem easier to give up.

So do something. Tell your change-resistant brain to back down. If you can't make it to the gym, commit to a walk at lunch or after work or something. Do some stretching in your living room in the evening. Whatever. Just reintroduce movement. Keep in mind that not all beneficial movement needs to happen in a gym. Lots of things can happen at home, outdoors, even in mini-breaks at work.

If you do want to include gym stuff, get all the prep done in advance to go to the gym. Set out your clothes or put them in your gym bag, put a session on your schedule (even a short schedule). Reduce all the friction you'd have to overcome to get yourself there, to the extent possible. Then treat it like it isn't even a decision, just a thing you do, like brushing your teeth or getting up to go to work in the morning. Go to the gym, and do something. Don't beat yourself up about whether it's good enough or long enough. Don't set crazy-extreme goals, instead make a realistic, achievable plain. Create the habit.

You did it before, sounds like. You can do it again. I'm cheering for you!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,440 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Reframe it in your mind as “I do this for me”.

Sounds silly, but if I frame it with the same mindset as a bubble bath, foot massage, or other “treat”, it makes it more palatable.

Like the old commercial, you’re worth it .
  • hoarc1987
    Options
    I am going to have a healthy breakfast entry from my meal plan and then go to the gym tomorrow!
  • hoarc1987
    Options
    I had my special fitness breakfast and a nap and ended up in the gym! Thanks for your support.
  • springlering62
    Options
    You know, when I’m gone for a few days, I always have this irrational fear I won’t be able to “perform” (if that’s what you can call it lol) when I get back.

Even if it’s just been a week, I’m worried I’ll have to go way down on hand weights, or won’t be able to do certain yoga moves.

So I choose the hardest classes I can find to drop right back into the groove, and I make it a point to get a center front position in class. In my head, that makes me work harder, because I’m convinced people will critique me (as if they even care!) if I go down in weights, or it puts the onus on me to make sure I don’t fall over on anyone in a headstand.

It’s all mental. That first headstand back is fraught with worry (terror!) every. single. time.

But it really helps me get back my mojo.

I know myself. If ever I make an excuse not to go to the gym or studio, it’s too easy to make another and another and another……
  • hoarc1987
    Options
    You know, when I’m gone for a few days, I always have this irrational fear I won’t be able to “perform” (if that’s what you can call it lol) when I get back.

Even if it’s just been a week, I’m worried I’ll have to go way down on hand weights, or won’t be able to do certain yoga moves.

So I choose the hardest classes I can find to drop right back into the groove, and I make it a point to get a center front position in class. In my head, that makes me work harder, because I’m convinced people will critique me (as if they even care!) if I go down in weights, or it puts the onus on me to make sure I don’t fall over on anyone in a headstand.

It’s all mental. That first headstand back is fraught with worry (terror!) every. single. time.

But it really helps me get back my mojo.

I know myself. If ever I make an excuse not to go to the gym or studio, it’s too easy to make another and another and another……

Wow I never thought like that. I have worked too that keep from the gym. It’s the soothing familiarity and starting slow that seem to help me. I never go hard but I am trying to learn to.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to go. Even if when you get there you don't feel like working out. Do a few easy things, then if you aren't into it, leave. But you need to get back into the habit of going there, even if you don't get a a great workout.
  • franksl87e
    franksl87e Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the gym, but I hate going to the gym. I don't know why, I'm not fit and I know others in there are just as unfit or in worse shape than me, it's not an embarrassment thing or anything, I just hate walking through the door xx
  • shrinkingmags
    shrinkingmags Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just got back in the gym after a year and a half.I had bad depression.I just put my music on and took myself out of the gym while working out.I always do I stay in my head and think of why I am there.I will picture myself smaller or stronger or even just think of nothing some how I become the only one sorta.I went yesterday with out even brushing my hair.You can do it .
  • springlering62
    edited June 2023
    Options
    franksl87e wrote: »
    I love the gym, but I hate going to the gym. I don't know why, I'm not fit and I know others in there are just as unfit or in worse shape than me, it's not an embarrassment thing or anything, I just hate walking through the door xx

There’s no law that says you have to exercise in a gym. What about simply walking? Running. Couch to 5k (aka C25K)is a great program to get started.

Check out your local yoga studio. I went to several studios while I was obese. My current studio has a challenging set of classes with some real athletes. I can sincerely say, I did not feel judged while obese and at least trying. I got brownie points for the trying part. When I was in weight loss mode, they were pulling for me, too. It’s not just for skinny WASPy women. Many studios also offer mat Pilates, which is great for building core, and folks tend to piss and moan in an “we’re all in this together” way in those classes, too.

I never thought I’d enjoy weightlifting or being in a gym. I only started to build upper body strength to get some yoga poses I was determined to do. Give yourself a chance.

But find something you enjoy doing so it’s not a slog.

We’ve got folks here who bike, row, hula hoop, trampoline, jump rope. You name it. But get off your *kitten* and move. You’ll thank yourself for it.
  • hoarc1987
    Options
    franksl87e wrote: »

There is an autism thing where it is hard to change places. Probably because your blood sugar drops in the gym and there is a lot of noise and lights, movement and whatever and not enough calming soothing and entertaining. You are also going alone which makes it harder. Visualise yourself going and eat afterward to make it easier.

• sharonwyatt502
    sharonwyatt502 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read a book that said "Make time for 1 hour a day at the gym now or make time for illness in the future."
  • hoarc1987
    Options
    I read a book that said "Make time for 1 hour a day at the gym now or make time for illness in the future."

Yeah but.. I feel like breaking down the steps to learning to go to a gym is more than just that thought.

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    "How can I get back into it?"

Open the door, get into your car, on your bike, or walk until you get to the gym during operating hours. Open the door, go in and start exercising.

If going to the gym causes you distress, maybe consider working out from home. Jump rope, use a stationary bike, walk or run, pilates, planks, yoga, strength training and the list goes on...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I don't have time to get to the gym, I just work out at home. It saves me a bunch of time. I do workouts on YouTube. I don't have to pack clothes or change or drive somewhere at a particular time...just get in my room and start. I do YouTube workouts before work. I'm doing mostly strength at home right now, and then I'll take a walk outside after work. Do what works for you.