I just don't get video games

Options
binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
I've heard that. They are boring or a waste of time.

But I play for moments like this clip. I know you have no context for the clip. Imagine reading 3 books with 2 central characters who have basically gone through h3ll and back. Dom is one of those characters.

Warning: spoiler alert for GOW3 - NSFW for language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH1sGDgyjSc&sns=em

I am not saying games should take the place of a book, but a well crafted game can weave a great story and have surprising poignant moments.

Replies

• Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    /truestory.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate a good video game. :-) My boyfriend's a lot more passionate than me though, he's currently studying computer science then going to VFS for game design.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think i big part of it is generation for example in my age group almost all of our friends have either a playstation or xbox and i would say 95% of the guys in our friend circle play games

and suprisingly allot of the girls to lol me included i love games not exactly hard core ones like you but i grew up with nintendo etc so i still love playing mario and lighter style games with my children i think people who grew up with it tend to have it as a everyday part of their lives

the odd thing isthough my parents who are very old school conservative types always put games down as being childish things that are only for children well after having ago on our wii a couple of years ago they now own a wii and a playstation and play games almost every night before they read there books or watch the news lol
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a game designer and art director for a local indie studio. While I only enjoy playing very few games*, I've come to appreciate so many more!**

*Yoshi's Island, SMB 1 and 3 (forget that SMB-2-Doki-Doki-Panic-in-disguise-bull****!), Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Okami, Otogi, Odin Sphere, Incredible Crisis, Tekken 3, BlazBlue and a few others...

**GOW, BulletStorm (whatever, you know it's kick@$$!), Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill (the beginning of 2 scared the poo outta me!), Street Fighter, Star Craft, various beat-'em-ups, etc...

P.S.: Cool video. Gotta love GOW! And that haunting Gary Jules remake!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I love GOW ^^

Just wanted to say I was like, "OMG why wouldnt someone like videogames? What are their reasons? o_o" when I saw your Topic.

I agree videogames can have awesome characters. One example was Ezio from Assassins Creed 2...he was so awesome, way better than Altier in my opinioon xD Also, there are games like *cough cough my favorite* Fallout where there are so many great storylines intertwined into the main one and great chracters you meet along the way...

I prefer videogames to books (not comics...those are equals). ^^
  • lawlzx
    Options
    I honestly think that video games have become as commonplace as movies these days. I'm a gamer (Hell, I met my husband on WoW) and there are games that I seriously love the storyline of, and I think that's part of the reason I game. But I agree that they don't always take the place of books, I thoroughly enjoy a good novel too.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love co op games that i can play with my husband. Soo fun. They are great team building strategies. Our fave os army of 2!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't really play games (because someone has to feed the dog and cats), but I've caught myself watching my husband play as if it was a movie. Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption... they're better than a lot of the poop that Hollywood is churning out these days.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    I honestly think that video games have become as commonplace as movies these days. I'm a gamer (Hell, I met my husband on WoW) and there are games that I seriously love the storyline of, and I think that's part of the reason I game. But I agree that they don't always take the place of books, I thoroughly enjoy a good novel too.

I met my husband in WOW too!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I've heard that. They are boring or a waste of time.

But I play for moments like this clip. I know you have no context for the clip. Imagine reading 3 books with 2 central characters who have basically gone through h3ll and back. Dom is one of those characters.

Warning: spoiler alert for GOW3 - NSFW for language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH1sGDgyjSc&sns=em

I am not saying games should take the place of a book, but a well crafted game can weave a great story and have surprising poignant moments.

You know, I don't get it either. I don't understand how people sit there and just say "AMG games are like so stupid" I just don't! My husband and I are avid gamers (heck, we met on a WoW)! I love graphics, the art behind it, the design, all of it! I'm actually thinking of switching careers and getting into game design! My husband actually jokes about how happy he is I am a gamer and how wouldn't be able to be married to someone who hated games!

When you said "I am not saying games should take the place of a book, but a well crafted game can weave a great story and have surprising poignant moments.", you know what came to mind, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Those have such a great story line and turned out to be amazing RPGs!

And to people saying games are such a waste of time, guess what, you spend 3-4 hours watching brainless crap like Jersey Shore or tv in general, same thing (well not really, we are rocking it while you are just vegetating it)! =P
  • notthinkingatall
    Options
    JUST DISCOVERED !!!!!!!! It's super fun to take that waxy shell of your babybel cheese .......and make it go wokka wokka wokka wokka like a pacman.....

ahahhahahaha....

Have a great day everyone!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I was just playing Zelda: Twilight Princess last night (finally beat it, btw!) and telling my roomie I wish someone would sit down and write these stories into a series of books!

Zelda games are my personal fav as far as fun to play AND the storylines, but I grew up sitting next to my brother for HOURS watching him play all sorts of games. It was just like watching a movie (I would get a snack and get in my comfy pj's and everything).

Great thread :)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    JUST DISCOVERED !!!!!!!! It's super fun to take that waxy shell of your babybel cheese .......and make it go wokka wokka wokka wokka like a pacman.....

ahahhahahaha....

Have a great day everyone!

That cracked me up!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I've gotta get me some Babybel cheese. :bigsmile: Doesn't take much to amuse me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten into video games but my son has. He's currently attending The Art Institute of Seattle, he wants to be a video game designer.
  • peejie
    Options
    I am an English teacher, and I let students' parents know the many benefits of video games. First, games will increase your child's vocabulary, especially if they play RPGs or other story heavy games. Second, games teach critical thinking and problem solving skills, especially arcade and puzzle types. Third, a huge number of games incorporate history and/or mythology into game play. Fourth, many games require you to choose a moral path and live with the consequences of your choices.

Moderation is key, just like anything else. Class dismissed.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I enjoy plants vs. zombies because it brings togehter the one thing I hate (vegetables), with the one thing I love (zombies).

I like to let the zombies have their way with them.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think the ones that say they don't "get" video games are those that say it about things they've never tried. Or they tried a crappy game and it didn't go well.

I personally never play video games. Not because I don't want to but because none have kept my attention span very well. I absolutely appreciate them though. The type of game I like is an MMORPG but I've refrained from playing due to lack of time and money. In an ideal world I would be raiding and sitting on my *kitten* everyday playing while doing everything else I do but it's impossible.

And I don't think age is a matter in it because my parents played games with me when I was very little. We stayed up until 1AM in the morning playing them. Just for the hell of it. My dad actually got ME into MMORPGs at the age of 12 because he accidentally thought it was a regular one person game and we just decided to go forward and check it out.

Games and books go hand in hand in my opinion. You can't have either without the other.
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    I used to not get video games... and then I played LA Noire. My life has totally changed from that moment on.
    My obsession at the moment is that game!

But I've been lucky that most of my friends are gamers, either hardcore or casual. A few got me into playing Team Fortress 2 which I love and a friend of mine wouldn't let me leave her dorm until I played a half hour of Amnesia. I am trying to save up to buy Portal 2.

It is funny though because a lot of people have the set idea on gamers and, in my experience, there is a lot more to it than that. It's the same with people who like comics.

Now if I could sit here and play TF2 instead of making vegetable stock and reading case studies.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i dont get it either video games are amazing :P
    i love GOW :D
    but then again i love a buncha games :P
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

I met my husband in WOW too!

I met a guy on LotRO. It didn't work out :cry:

Yeah, I thought this was going to be someone video game bashing. I can't do FPSs (or even watch them) because I get crazy motion sick. I can't even play driving video games like Mario Kart :laugh: