Ideas for a One-derland reward?

Options
Okay, I'm needing some advice (I figured this would be the most relevant forum to post in since I don't know where else this would fit). So far I'm 64lbs down and I'm edging closer and closer to being below 200lbs. It's been about 15 years since I was below this threshold. Honestly, I never thought I would see it again, but now it's almost a reality.

Generally a "reward" for me in the past has usually been food related. A nice restaurant or a sweet treat. I don't want those kinds of rewards anymore but I'm a little at a loss on how I should celebrate this milestone accomplishment in my life. I'm not really going to be at goal weight (which is 180lbs for me to reach a normal BMI - I'm a 6'1" woman) but I still want to celebrate in some way.

Ideas I have thought about are maybe a gym membership (since it's probably time to start adding in more of a fitness routine focus when I get that low), or some kind of service like getting my hair or nails done (but idk...those two things don't seem that special to me), or maybe some kind of fun mini-vacation idea? Cruise? Maybe I should save a cruise for when I actually hit goal weight haha. I live in South Carolina if that could help for a mini-vacation idea.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas! I'm so excited to be getting close (I'll probably hit it in about a month and a half if I keep losing at a regular rate, so maybe early August?) and for anyone out there struggling, don't give up! You got this. And maybe you'll be getting ideas one day for your own milestone celebration.

Replies

• elizabethpikalek
    elizabethpikalek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Amazing job getting so far in your goals! I’m really proud of you and impressed!! Way to go!

I love plants, so when I lost my first 5 pounds I got my most desired house plant (a Swiss Cheese Monstera). The happiness I felt to do that was a huge motivator for me.

You could look at your Amazon wishlist and see if there is something you would love to have but can’t find the reasoning to get. You could visit somewhere you’d love to go but haven’t given yourself the time. Maybe you have an idea for a hobby or activity you’d always wanted to try but just haven’t yet.

What’s something you just haven’t done for yourself that you really want to do or have?
  • kristennoel20
    kristennoel20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Getting this far along is no small feat, and just based on what you said about shifting from food rewards shows you've really progressed in the way you think about food!

One thing that's fun is a mini-shopping spree. I've always hated shopping because I've been down on the way I looked since I was a teen, but something about getting new clothes a size down (or more) is such a confidence booster and further motivates me to keep up the hard work.

A mini vacation is always a plus! If you have the finances and enjoy theme parks, one thing that's a real reminder of progress is being able to fit on the theme park rides you loved. I remember having to do "the walk of shame" on one ride at Dollywood, and it was so disheartening. I can't wait to go back when I get down lower in weight and not only ride the ride, but stand in line with confidence. (As a note, I literally rode the ride a day before, but I guess fluid retention changed my ability to ride the next day - I won't have to worry that one day I'm good and the next day I might not be).

The gym membership can be a reward, but if you're not excited for it, I wouldn't cloak it in false optimism because you could become frustrated with choice to use that as a reward rather than just one of those things you "need" to do. If it is something you're excited for, but just haven't found the time, absolutely go for it. It's a great reward and in line with your goals!

Once again, congrats and keep up the good work!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd use a gym membership or fitness equipment as a reward...I tend to think of those things as just necessaries for my goals. The only time I ever did anything like that was when I bought my first "real" bike...like from an actual bike shop, not a big box. But it was a little bit different...I had started riding my big old heavy MTB for exercise due to an injury and decided that I really liked that form of exercise. I ultimately made a deal with myself that if I put in 100 miles on the tank I'd upgrade my equipment and get a true bike.

I didn't personally have any weight milestones to work with, or even a "goal weight"...but one thing I decided to do as a treat/reward that also embodied my goal of just taking better care of myself was to get a massage every five pounds or so...which equated to roughly once every 4-6 weeks. That became kind of a routine, so I still get a massage every 4 weeks or so.

As to your mini-vacation, in keeping with my "massage therapy" for better overall health and well being, I booked a full spa weekend for my wife and I once I had determined that I was where I wanted to be weight wise. We had two nights...the first night my wife and I enjoyed a nice dinner at the resort restaurant and the natural hot springs. The following day we had full spa treatments booked...massages, facial, manicure, pedicure and then continued to enjoy the hot springs for the remainder of the day.

If getting to below 200 is a big and important milestone for you, something like a spa day or spa weekend could absolutely be something worthwhile.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Go for something smaller or the gym membership. A massage for a hour will be healthful and relaxing. Save the bigger bucks for goal wardrobe since you are 20# away. Depending on your family budget…you could go get a new outfit (or 5) at Goodwill. I’m halfway to my goal of 111# so I’m not investing big money in clothing yet but have been finding J. Crew, Banana Republic, Calvin Klein at Goodwill. Thus, augmenting my wardrobe with clothing that fits is not busting the budget. I asked the lady there and she said they are getting huge donations from people cleaning out pre-Covid dress code clothing since more now work from home or have returned to office with reduced dress codes. I can get skirts for $10 and blouses for $6 whereas I just did a fake shop on Macys.com and left my cart with $7500 unpurchased. I wanted to see how much a basic wardrobe would cost me new.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    What a great question, I hope I have this same question soon.

How about a fancy new just slightly tight shirt, that will fit perfectly at about 195 lbs. Think positively.
  • melissaaridgeway
    melissaaridgeway Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi - I like the idea of a fitness device! I had a Fitbit for the first 3-4 months of my journey, but it died and I haven't gotten it replaced. I'll keep this in mind for sure!

@grltaz - lol on the new puppy! We just got a little dachshund pup in February BUT since the recent passing of our other dog, have considered getting a second puppy. I don't think my husband would spring for another puppy as a reward for this milestone (he's not been very supportive of my weightloss or health journey) but maybe in the near future we will get another anyway. I like the idea of a wine tour (I married a teetotaler though...) or a fun themed tour! I'll have to research what's in my area.

@elizabethpikalek - something I want to do but haven't done yet...hmm. Good question. Get another tattoo?? Lol! I got my one and only about 15 years ago and have thought about getting a 2nd one, but haven't really had a reason to spend the money (also the horror stories of terrible ones I've seen since have put me off of getting another because I lucked out with a great looking 1st one and I don't want something I'd regret if the artist ended up being subpar). But other than that, nothing is coming to mind. I wanted to do a lot of fun thrill-seeking things when I was younger and free, but I'm a married mom of 2 now and I feel like if I risk my life going skydiving now and I died, it would be a very stupid thing lol.

@kristennoel20 - a shopping spree could be fun but I don't want to waste too much money on a "transitional size" either. I feel like once I hit my goal weight of 180lbs, I want to go on a shopping spree and get a whole new wardrobe for sure, but maybe a cute top or pants or something could be something to keep in mind for this milestone. But the theme park idea is a great idea. We did just get back from Dollywood a week ago (my husband doesn't ride any rides in general and I loooove rollercoasters and fast rides....I can't remember the last time I actually went on a ride I wanted to go on :( but I guess the little kiddie rides are fun too because it's nice seeing the joy on my kids' faces) and for what it was, it was fun. I got tons of walking in and I think because of the walking I did, I didn't actually gain on the scale that week despite my terrible "vacation diet". Anything with lots of walking is a plus for me! As for a gym membership I am excited for it, as I see it as a logical next step in my evolution, but I also see some potential hassles of childcare standing in my way too - my MIL who I live 5 minutes from can't usually watch my kids (I'm getting a sinking feeling that she isn't overly fond of me or her grandkids but she loves her other grandkids and is willing to watch them all the time....) and working around my husband's work schedule is a pain because he doesn't want to watch the kids when he gets home from work, and I have zero friends near me who could watch them and I don't trust babysitters lol. So...I feel like I have to figure out this hurdle before I can actually crank my fitness into high gear.

@cwolfman13 - a spa day sounds lovely. I've never actually had a spa day in my life and I wouldn't even know how to go about setting one up lol. I'll have to look into something like that and see if anything local offers that kinda of thing. My aunt just became a registered masseuse (no family perks though because I want to support her small business) so I could book something with her...it's a thought. :)

@DebbsSeattle - thrifting might be a fun idea. I'm with you on blowing too much being 20lbs away from goal weight, so I might take a peek at what my local goodwill has to offer. When I hit that 200lb marker, I'll solidly be in the size 12 bracket, and I'm sure I'll have more options available to me in that size than I ever did in my size 20.

@chris_in_cal - a goal shirt might also be a fun idea too. I'll have to see if I can find anything tantalizing that could fit that bill. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @melissaaridgeway When I did the spa weekend I booked at a spa resort and just had to book the room and the desired spa package for which treatments were also available a la carte. It was pricey, but the weekend also served as a well deserved break for my wife and I as our kids at the time were 3 and 1 and we hadn't had a weekend alone since they were born...so it was kind of a multi-occasion kind of thing. It's probably the most expensive stand alone weekend I've had in my life.

We've been back since, but only for day soaking in the springs. We've had a few spa days since at other places where we haven't overnighted and it's much more reasonable as the resort we stayed at was quite expensive just for the room, but in many ways it was worth it. It was an over 25 resort, so no kids and no young "party" adults and the grounds and natural springs for soaking were beautiful.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I’ve reached a milestone recently of losing 5kgs. I’ve rewarded myself with one expensive jacket for an upcoming wedding (that was 40% off)…everything else i have is opshop. I figured a jacket could be worn when I’m smaller too, and I can always sell it. It was fun just trying on all the clothes, and trying to find a bargain, even though I’ve got a long way to go too.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Do you own your house? If so buy a treadmill instead of going to the gym. It’s easier doing at night when kids are asleep. If your renting maybe buy a skipping rope or weights, resistance band or something
  • melissaaridgeway
    melissaaridgeway Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Do you own your house? If so buy a treadmill instead of going to the gym. It’s easier doing at night when kids are asleep. If your renting maybe buy a skipping rope or weights, resistance band or something

Unfortunately I live in option #3: a camper. I have zero room for anything else (I don't even have an oven for goodness sakes....I feel like an oven is a basic human necessity lol). We will eventually build a house on our 67 acres we live on, but that's going to be at least a year down the road before we even start. In the meantime I do some running around our property and around our "neighborhood" (though last time I went out I was chased by a territorial Chihuahua and almost bitten so that was fun) but in addition to cardio, I would like to add some weighted workouts and have access to workout equipment I don't have. Also, not being chased by dogs or evil bugs the size of dogs would be a plus (I'll never get used to country life. I think I saw a horsefly the size of a Chihuahua the other day.)
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching One-derland - great progress. It is a little sad that you do not seem to be getting much support from your husband and MiL for you weight loss journey and you certainly deserve a treat for reaching such a milestone.

The fitness tracker idea seems like a good one. I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and it has been very reliable for over four years and certainly makes me move more. One other piece of tech that might be worth considering if you do not have it is some smart scales. These upload your weight to an app via Wifi and make tracking really easy. They can also measure things like body fat % and calculate BMI.

For weighted exercise it might be worth getting some kettlebells. You can get a really good workout with them in 30 minutes and they take up very little storage space. There are lots of routines available on youtube and in other places.

These may not seem like proper rewards but they would hopefully really help with getting to your goal weight which is the real reward for all your hard work :)
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Why not treat yourself treat yourself to a spa day with facial, massage and mani pedi?
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    Your reward is the multitude of health and wellness benefits that your body is giving back to you.
    Be present, take a long look in a full length mirror and scope out the gifts that good health and discipline has given you.
    Inside and out.
    If you have any negative self talk. Change the recording. Accept what you can not change, and change the things you can.
    Get fitted for a really good quality, snazzy looking pair of walking or running shoes. The kind that you will want to put on.
    Small steps=Big rewards
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'd second the idea for a tracker/Apple watch or a quality pair of shoes (I'm a sucker for a comfortable pair of running shoes). If you're doing a lot of walking/running, a quality pair of shoes makes the workout easier and helps prevents injury. Congratulations on all of your hard work thus far and continued success!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    First... congrats on losing so much weight! YOU RULE! Second, some ideas for a treat... believe it or not, when I decided I deserved a real treat, I bought myself new underwear! It was such a treat to not be wearing the baggy huge ones anymore! You could make it a new pair of pants or shorts, or a new top... something to show off your new bod! A set of weights so you can workout from home? (I bought myself some kettle bells when I hit the 35 pound mark, and love those bad boys!) A new pair of exercise shoes, so you can exercise in comfort AND style. Kind of food related, an air fryer! 😂 I love mine so much that I now have 3 of them, and use them almost daily. (Tonight for dinner I used 2 of them at the same time, so I didn't have to cook in batches.) Makes food prep so fast and easy, easier to clean than an oven, doesn't heat up the house in summer, and little or no oil needed, so healthy cooking! A new hair style to show off your thinner face! But whatever you chose, remember one thing... YOU DESERVE IT! So make it something you'll love!
  • mollypw1994
    mollypw1994 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats on your great progress! One idea:
    Pick out a ring or bracelet you want and put it on layaway (some jewelers will do that). Each week that you lose, make a little payment on the account. If you don’t lose one week, no payment toward the balance. When you reach your goal, pay it off and enjoy it! Bonus is that if it’s a ring or bracelet, it’s visible to you when you go to reach for a cookie…. A good reminder to step away from the cookie!! 😉
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    New running shoes are my rewards. After I finish my last 5km of the season I'm gonna reward myself with a new pair of Hoka running shoes.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    jonni82014 wrote: »
    Be present, take a long look in a full length mirror and scope out the gifts that good health and discipline has given you.

True! I have yo-yo'd a couple of times, and in the moment I am never convinced it is the right time to take pictures. It is. Take all the pictures you want right now, I believe you'll cherish some of those down the road.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!