Why do we self-medicate with food?

Options
lta100163
lta100163 Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
As I begin a journey of weight loss (again), I want to take a path that also allows me to understand my relationship with food. Specifically, why am I inclined to self-medicate with food? Where did this inclination come from, and why is this my predisposition? Has anyone else looked into this? If so, would you share any findings that you feel comfortable sharing?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It makes us feel good. Like most pleasurable things, it causes a Dopamine release, which makes us feel good and want to do it again. Because it makes us feel good, a lot of people eat when they feel "bad" because it *temporarily* releases that Dopamine and makes us feel better. It's a coping mechanism, self-soothing strategy, basically.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    It makes us feel good. Like most pleasurable things, it causes a Dopamine release, which makes us feel good and want to do it again. Because it makes us feel good, a lot of people eat when they feel "bad" because it *temporarily* releases that Dopamine and makes us feel better. It's a coping mechanism, self-soothing strategy, basically.

Pretty much this. Usually food, especially foods you really like, carry history with them. They were eaten in situations where you felt safe, comforted, loved, and the like. When you eat them you have the response from the palatability of the food and the memories it stimulates whether you are aware of them or not.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    lta100163 wrote: »
    Has anyone else looked into this?

I've often thought about it and I've never been able to come up with a reason for my overeating outside of I've always loved food. I can remember being a child and having to decide between two lunch options and thinking "which one will give me more?" I always enjoyed eating. I ate slow so I could savor the food and I hated when it was gone.

Oddly enough, I'm not a stress eater at all. If I'm stressed or upset I don't have an appetite and don't want to eat. I think it's because I associate food with pleasurable experiences and fun so eating is not something I'm interested in if I'm upset. But if I am doing something fun, it's not unusual to have food be a regular part. Like if I see a movie in a theater, I will always get popcorn, even if we've just eaten.

I think it's interesting because everyone is different. My husband is a stress eater and he would also eat when he was bored or tired.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,839 Member
    Options
    All of this is very individual, potentially some physiology/genetics, but also potentially some personal history.

In some families, giving food is a love language: Family members make or buy special food treats to show love. That's not bad or evil, but it can help shape us into adults who will turn to food when needing that kind of comforting. In some families, food is used to reward good behavior or compensate for hurts. That can have complex effects long-term, too.

In my early childhood (1950s-60s), I can remember my pediatrician giving me a candy lollipop/sucker after giving me an injection. Though infrequent, that kind of thing also is going to influence attitudes.

I feel like a lot of what I've needed to do in adulthood is examine my impulses and the effects of my personal history - not just about food but in other things - and consider which behaviors are serving me well as whole-life strategies. To the extent they don't serve me well, it's my responsibility to figure out how to manage, channel, modify or replace the impulses that grew unexamined in my childhood, and came forward in me as an adult.

I'm 67. I'm still working at this. ;)
  • dannylivesbrah
    dannylivesbrah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me I think it’s just because I’m undisciplined and too lazy too cook and prepare the correct food. I also like immediate gratification and the food companies know that. I want the results but I also want it to be easy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with Ann on this - the answers lie within each of us individually and the things we learned as a child about food and rewards/comfort are strong messages.

I say it all the time on here, but if hunger isn't the problem food isn't the solution.

I also agree with Ann that it's a lifelong project to find a peaceful coexistence with my own thinking.
  • jsmestflowers
    jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic and one that I and my friends have discussed several times. I think there are multiple factors involved (not all apply to everyone, of course).

1 is an addiction for example people have a habit (smoking, sex, whatever) and then stop, they replace it with food. Most people that stop smoking gain weight (oral fixation maybe) but the same could be said of almost any addictive trait.

2 As someone mentioned boredom, eating is something that can pass the time.

3 Excitement (not exactly boredom) but discovering and experiencing new things (like a new recipe)

4 Addressing hurts. The mind is geared to want the body to get bigger to fight off threats. A lot of people experience some kind of trauma (adult and childhood) and get larger. A parallel to this is the skinny guy that goes to prison and comes out muscle-bound. I have heard it said show me an overweight person and I will show you someone that is hurt, I do not agree that this is always true, but sadly it often is. Physical and/or emotional abuse can lead to the body wanting to get larger. It's not that the person consciously wants it, but the body instinctually wants it. The body is diabolically smart.

5. Stress, mostly like Addressing hurts. It has been proven that the body reacts in all kinds of ways to stress, sometimes people won't eat, and sometimes people eat more. The fight or flight response is triggered the body reacts even if the conscious mind does not. Kinda like if you are deficient in a certain vitamin you will start craving foods that contain it (you don't know why, you just do). Not always the case of course.

6. Different genetics - some folks just like to eat, its VERY pleasurable to them, more so than for others. Kinda like, in general, alcoholics like a drink a LOT more than non-alcoholics. I know I like a doughnut a LOT more than some folks and the idea of having just one is repugnant to me :) Why would anyone ever want just one?

Most people overeat for a combination of the above reasons and probably many more that I did not list.

Here is the thing, the body has a mind of its own (if you will) and it is really good at what it does (which is survival) and doesn't change its mind easily. When a person starts to lose weight the body will fight back (hey man, you're going to get smaller and die or starve this winter <-primitive and brutal thinking) it wants to hold onto that weight. The good news is that the body can also be taught, but it's a slow process. Consistency is key. Keep in mind that getting smaller is counter survival (from a body perspective (it just doesn't know when enough is enough) it will keep right on storing that fat :)

Now here is something I have been thinking about: Are people really overweight or are they just underactive? I lot of people tell me about when they were young and on the go all the time they were much thinner. Metabolism change doesn't account for it all. I could go on about this but this is too long already :smile: Maybe another topic sometime.

In any case, best of wishes to your success!