Logging core work?

Options
I'm new to MFP and not sure how to log some exercises, specifically a circuit of body weight core exercises. I did see an entry for crunches but the database search didn't return anything for plank, bicycles, or marching from a bridge position. I'm not really looking for calories burned when doing these so I expected to log the work as strength, though I searched under cardio as well. Maybe I'm using the wrong names for these? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS:
I tried using Google to find some of these and I may even have been doing them incorrectly. The videos I saw call it a glute bridge and the marching is more of a high knee movement where I'd simply been extending each leg out straight. The videos for bicycles often added an elbow across to the knee movement, with hands at the head, that I've not been doing. That makes it more like a crunch and may be an interesting modification to try.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Just use the entry under, "Cardio / calisthenics"

For the few minutes spent on these kinds of stretching type exercises, there is very little calorie-burn.

• Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Found it. Thanks @cmriverside !
    I wasn't timing myself but estimated 15 minutes. I also entered it as light/moderate calisthenics. In my exercise log, I added this note about what was done:

Core work circuits, entered as calisthenics.
    2x (50 bicycles, 3x 10 crunches, 1 minute plank, 3x 10 glute bridge marching)

Do you think this should be entered as vigorous calisthenics instead?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I wouldn't log it at all. It's isn't a big calorie burner - especially for 15 minutes.

Use it however you like.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If logging and noting it is a good way for you to keep track of what exercises you have been doing and how you are progressing. Keep logging.

If you are looking at this to progress to a 30-60min work out even the small calorie award may at some point make a difference.

If you are interested there are YouTube/web programmes that you may like.

Nerdfitness has a good beginners bodyweight programme that is simple enough that you can just make a note of the exercises instead of having to follow it on your device.

Hasfit also has some good simple programmes that use no or few weights.

You may also be interested in finding out about the ‘stomach vacuum’ to strengthen your abs and learn how to engage your abs while exercising.

Following a proven programme is generally better than a home built one as it balances your muscle use and helps prevent injury.

Cheers, h.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I'd never heard the term stomach vacuum before so I searched the forum here. It looks like it's basically just sucking in the stomach and holding it for a bit. LOL, I've done that from time to time since childhood though it has been more rare in recent years as I gained weight. Thanks for the reminder! The pelvic tilt some yoga instructors encourage uses a similar muscle engagement and I think it's important to use while doing core work or any exercise, really.

And yes, the routine above is just me getting started again from years of almost scratch, using some stuff remembered from 20+ years ago when I was getting into triathlon. The core work helped my form a lot when learning to swim lengths. Gotta get back at that too.

I'm not looking to bulk up, but I also don't want to go back to ironman distance tris either. Just looking for some middle ground where I can control the weight and not burn out on training again. I'll check out some of the websites mentioned too. Thanks!