Can I be undereating and not losing weight?

Options
NFMendoza
NFMendoza Posts: 39 Member
Begginer here. I did a calculator calorie counter to see how many calories I should eat based on my weight and height to lose weight and it says 2100 a day. I eat about 1500-1750 a day and exercise. Can this make me not lose weight if im not eating enough?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    No. More than likely, if you have not lost weight in several weeks, you are eating more calories than you think. Calorie counting is quite inaccurate, and the best way to judge if you are eating "enough" calories is by tracking your weight. Weight goes up? You're eating more calories than you need. Weight stays the same? You're eating just the right amount to keep your weight stable. Losing weight? Then you are in a calorie deficit. Losing weight too fast? Then You're eating too few calories. Adjust how much you're eating accordingly.
  • NFMendoza
    Options
    Thank you guys!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    How long have you gone with no results? Definitely use a food scale! I even put peanut butter on my food scale
  • NFMendoza
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    How long have you gone with no results? Definitely use a food scale! I even put peanut butter on my food scale

I can go a couple weeks with no results and then the 3rd week i will lose a couple pounds.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    NFMendoza wrote: »

I can go a couple weeks with no results and then the 3rd week i will lose a couple pounds.

Sounds like You're right on track then. Retained water can keep weight loss from showing up for a week or 2 at a time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    If you're a woman with a menstrual cycle, weight loss may not be consistent and that pattern of no weight loss for part of the month can be directly related to where you are in your cycle. Really common to have weeks of no weight loss.

Here's a good read about scale weight fluctuations: https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options

That makes you a poster child for steady weight loss then. 😘

Same for a lot of us. People have it in their heads that their weight graph should plummet. It’s not like that in real world weight loss. So much stuff affects our weight, from stress to soreness to salt to airplane cabin pressure. And yet, people get so discouraged when that line doesn’t keep dropping. Even stress over weight can affect weight.

Crazy, isn’t it?!
  • NFMendoza
    Options

Same for a lot of us. People have it in their heads that their weight graph should plummet. It’s not like that in real world weight loss. So much stuff affects our weight, from stress to soreness to salt to airplane cabin pressure. And yet, people get so discouraged when that line doesn’t keep dropping. Even stress over weight can affect weight.

Crazy, isn’t it?!

Thank you! Yes especially when you hear people losing 2-3 a week and im trying my hardest and not seeing results. Thank you, this is encouraging. I just hit 30 pounds lost even though i feel like its taken forever lol.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options

Crazy, isn’t it?!

Thank you! Yes especially when you hear people losing 2-3 a week and im trying my hardest and not seeing results. Thank you, this is encouraging. I just hit 30 pounds lost even though i feel like its taken forever lol.

How fast you lose also depends on your starting weight. When you don't have too much to lose then a 30lbs loss is MASSIVE! Also, you won't be seeing a 2-3lbs loss per week unless you're morbidly obese. It's just not possible unless you cut off a bodypart. Hey, you got this! Congratulations on your loss <3