Can't stop overeating!! Wtf

Options
Wtf! I'm so mad at myself right now because every day I start off with the best of intentions of logging my food, staying under my calorie goal, and exercising even just a short walk. I start off strong then by lunch time I'm binging! I'm so mad at myself right now. I used to struggled with binge eating and the last couple years have been under control. I did just have another baby a few months ago and since then I'm constantly hungry thanks to breastfeeding. I've set my calorie goal a few hundred calories higher keeping in mind needing more fuel for production of my milk but I can't even stay under that! It's like constantly binging every day and I'm so tired of it! I'm probably heavier now than I was after I had the baby!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Babies grow up fast. I'd advise you to wait and just maintain while breastfeeding. Your body is fighting you hard. It'll win--it's nature. Once this time passes, ease into a slight calorie deficit and see how it goes.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Babies grow up fast. I'd advise you to wait and just maintain while breastfeeding. Your body is fighting you hard. It'll win--it's nature. Once this time passes, ease into a slight calorie deficit and see how it goes.

Agreed! Congrats on the new baby and enjoy! No need to beat yourself up. Babies pick up on our emotions. Be grateful for what your body just accomplished and treat it that way.

Good idea to up your calories a bit to make sure you keep up with your milk production. Are you still eating the foods you enjoy? No need to make drastic changes. Just eat what you like in smaller portions.

Look back and see what helped you manage binge eating in the past. In the long run, you'll want to get that under control both for your health and to set a good example for your children.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment to log everything, no matter what, even if you go off the rails. Form that habit before anything else.

You’ll log some big days, for sure, but in a few weeks you’ll be able to look back and be more objective with the facts in front of you. You might see, for example, that if you have a breakfast with a good amount of protein, you tend to eat fewer calories that day. Or maybe Saturdays are especially tough. You might discover some things about yourself that won’t be too hard to change, and in the meantime you’re building the habit of logging. Then you can slowly start making adjustments, and watch your weight go down.

I started SO MANY days where I was all in at 8 a.m. and then something yummy appeared and I would tell myself I could start tomorrow… it’s only a day!

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound harsh but I am not intending it as such: you aren’t ready to do the work! That doesn’t mean you won’t be one day. Perhaps just aim to eat at maintenance for a while to adjust to accurate logging?
  • thesawyerbunch
    thesawyerbunch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's really just a mindset; you have to make up your mind and stick to it that you're going to log everything and not go above your daily calorie limit.

Congrats on the baby, and I'm wishing you the best of luck in your weight loss journey.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Amanda863A wrote: »
    Wtf! I'm so mad at myself right now because every day I start off with the best of intentions of logging my food, staying under my calorie goal, and exercising even just a short walk. I start off strong then by lunch time I'm binging! I'm so mad at myself right now. I used to struggled with binge eating and the last couple years have been under control. I did just have another baby a few months ago and since then I'm constantly hungry thanks to breastfeeding. I've set my calorie goal a few hundred calories higher keeping in mind needing more fuel for production of my milk but I can't even stay under that! It's like constantly binging every day and I'm so tired of it! I'm probably heavier now than I was after I had the baby!

What did you have for breakfast?

If I eat high carbs, or high carbs and fat, that sets me up for a binge. If you're having something like cereal for breakfast, try switching to a higher protein meal.

Also, how much weight do you have to lose and what is your weekly weight loss goal? I've seen so many women who think they need to eat 1200 calories in order to lose weight, which sure can backfire:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

di59i33bwc37.png