SUGAR, yikes!

Options
Dear Beautiful People, HELP! I seem to be constantly over on my sugar. It seems like I have one banana, 1/2 cup of grapes, and 1 tablespoon coffee creamer and I'm at my limit. How bad is it being over on sugar? Suggestions?

Replies

• lisamerida
    lisamerida Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i love sugar too! what i've been donig is trying to find the "reduced sugar" versions of stuff.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar on mfp because it doesn't know the difference between added sugar and natural sugar in fruits and vegies. The total carbs is what you need to be concerned with. You might want to track your fiber instead of sugar because fiber is an important part of you diet.
  • seashell5
    Options
    i have found if i have a few nuts before the gym instead of fruit that keeps me down but only a hanfull as nuts can be high in kcals .;-)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Very good question,one that comes up often here. Personally, I try to limit the added sugars, and not be as concerned about sugars that are contained naturally (fruits, milk, etc).

I'm a sugar-a-holic, but I have done better now that I'm watching on mfp. ! :sad:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have stopped tracking my sugar intake. I eat a lot of fruit!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals. WEight loss you want to stay away from all and any sugar processed!

2 pieces of fruit is ok. it has Natrual sugar with fiber and vit an minerals in it.

plus FP sets it low- 2 pieces will put you over there limit so go into diary settings and custom that part. I think I set mine for less then 100g.
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    Grapes and bananas are super high glycemic.

Lower glycemic fruits are apples, melons, berries....may help your intake and the amount of volume you can have.

Coach Nyla
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few people here....don't focus on "sugars" from natural foods, like fruit and yogurt. They are healthy for you. Focus more on total carbs and total fiber. I watch 4 things only, fiber, carbs, protein and fat. I do use a lot of artificial sweetners for my coffee and I do a lot of sugar free foods, like sugar free syrup and jelly. But I do watch my total carbs and try to get between 150 to 200 a day....no more than that! Good luck!!
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i love sugar too! what i've been donig is trying to find the "reduced sugar" versions of stuff.

"Reduced sugar" items can be very misleading. They can sometimes have more total carbs that the real thing. Its best to stay away from ALL sugary things (added processed sugar) because as long as you are eating them, you will crave them. I know all things in moderation is the general concensus, but I'm speaking from personal experience. I'm diabetic trying to control it with diet alone and people tell me one cookie won't hurt. I simply can't eat JUST one cookie.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a nurse practitioner who teaches weight loss techniques. She has given me alot of info and tips about sugar.
    - Definately stay away from refined sugar products. That includes all yogurt EXCEPT plain greek yogurt. Definately stay away from the ones with the fruit added in.
    - OK to eat fruit if you eat it with a meal and not recommended to eat by itself. Fruit eaten by itself immediately turns the sugars into fat. It will metabolize more effectively if eaten as part of your meal with the complex carb & lean protein. It will also eliminate the sugar highs and lows by keeping the glycemic levels more stable.
    - Go back to your food journal and see where you are getting your sugar "highs". Exclude the fruit if you ate it with a meal. Assess what you could have done differently with the remaining items. Did you really need that item? Could you have substituted it for something else?
    -If you are eating alot of "low fat/non fat" foods, those are probably your higher sugar foods. Remember, when they take fat out of food they have to replace it with sugar and/or salt for flavor.
    -If you must have some sugar, stay away from the white refined stuff. I lean toward agave, honey, or real maple syrup.

SUGAR is like CRACK.....highly addictive!!!!
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    Grapes and bananas are super high glycemic.

Lower glycemic fruits are apples, melons, berries....may help your intake and the amount of volume you can have.

Coach Nyla

Exactly this, eat the lower GI fruits, they have lists of them through google on websites, stick to those few lower GI foods aside from treat days when you would have the higher GI fruits. Often times there is always a more nutritious lower GI fruit to have instead and also dairy has a lot of natural sugar in it, I know some people count dairy carbs but I don't personally. I think worrying about the sugar is maybe overdoing it unless your pre diabetic and have to do so, otherwise just keep making the healthy food choices, your body accepts them as food more than the refined sugar stuff anyways. :)
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic or Hypo-Glycemic? If you are not sure it would probably be worth a trip to the doctor to get a physical and just check for these things. If you know are not; Then I would worry less about the sugar in fruits and natural sources and more about processed foods and sugar. I have yet to meet someone who became fat and over weight because they ate too many fruits and vegetables. Usually its too many processed foods (anything in a box or can) pastas, breads, french fries, and dining out.

And of course try not to add sugar if you can help it. I add Berries to Oatmeal, cereal, I also add other fruits too my salads and meals because they just add a lot of flavor. I intentionally try to find restaurants ahead of time that serve fresh or raw fruits and vegetables and eat their rather than a place like Micky D's where the food soaks in fat.

On occasion I eat that stuff too in very small amounts I usually try to share so I can satisfy the craving before it becomes a trigger to binge eat. Find a friend who understands what you are going through and go share those trigger foods full of sugar, plus it becomes a fun social event. For some people its easy to give up some things and for others it is not. If you truly feel like you need that flavor or taste, forcing yourself to quit it for good is dangerous because you will obsess over wanting it.

As too coffee, I have made it a point to intentionally decrease the sweetner and syrups I put in it. I have experimented with honey as a sweetner which is less bad for you than a processed cane or beet sugar (the white granular stuff you buy at the store.) Another nice thing about honey for me is it has a different sweet taste, and the further I get away from processed (cane and beet) sugar the sweeter the honey tastes and thus the less I use for the same satisfaction.

At starbucks- if I get a Venti I get two pumps of the white mocha or sometimes one... (and sometimes three if I really need a sweet treat!) to get a really sweet tasting ocffee compared to the three too four pumps I need from their regular sweetner to get the same effect.

I would say try to think about the stuff ahead of time before you are in line ordering and pump yourself up to try something new after you have researched nutritional info online. It really helps you strategize ways to cut out hose trigger foods like sugary sweet foods (or in my case that damned Pizza!!!!!!)