How long until I look "Thicker" from weight lifting?

Options
I started lifting about a month and a half ago and on the scale I've gained 5 pounds already. I look smaller, which I know is expected, but I wanted to know how long it will take before I start to look thicker? I've been drinking both protein and boost plus to make sure I am getting enough calories to gain weight

Replies

• ipjimenez
    ipjimenez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don’t have an answer but I’m in the same boat!
  • bleuchez
    bleuchez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    men probably grow inches at waist butt chest back shoulders upper arms. pant waist size and shirt size follow. hoodies look thick, tanks maybe not so much. fashion may be important. takes weeks to couple months. then where does evry buddy go? cheers
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Building muscle takes time. A month just gets the body acclimated to working out. What's your program? Are you doing progressive overload?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    No one can answer that. Too many variables and people respond to training very differently.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    bleuchez wrote: »
    men probably grow inches at waist butt chest back shoulders upper arms. pant waist size and shirt size follow. hoodies look thick, tanks maybe not so much. fashion may be important. takes weeks to couple months. then where does evry buddy go? cheers

Profile says OP is female, FWIW.

Realistically, meaningful muscle growth is likely to take months, female or male. How many months will vary individually. Young, male, good genetic potential, calorie surplus, good progressive program faithfully performed, excellent nutrition - fewer months, relatively. Less of any of those things - more months.
  • freakshowbrewing
    freakshowbrewing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are different variations to lifting weights for different purposes. And by the sounds of things you are looking for hypertrophy workouts = high volume, low intensity with resistance over time being primary focus. Which will increase blood into the muscles and give them that "pumped" look. This is that term "thicker" that I assume you are referring to, as it is faster achieved than Strength training. Strength training is a slower way to account for "thickness" it is a lower volume with very high intensity and quick full lockout movements (pushing/pulling the weight from A to B in the fastest manner possible without losing technique and relying on off muscle groups. At end of the day you will need a total of protein equalling 1.5g +/- per kg of body weight, if over 40 years old, 1.8g per kg of body weight. Set you calories in stone and work off your macros and adjust as needed, if feeling a bit run down then eat more carbs, but you have to buy them via calorie value for another macro. Example if you eat more 10g more carbs then you will need to eat 10g less protein or 4.2g less fat to stay in you set caloric intake.
  • bleuchez
    bleuchez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    by coping I choose when and what is thick! big butt and skinny legs looks thick, thin waist and big chest looks thick, big arms looks thick, really big legs looks thick. fashion can make a body look thick-er. close up and lighting can create thick or big look for pictures
    cop·ing, noun: the top, typically sloping, course of a brick or stone wall.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try adding creatine supplementation to your regimen.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, IIRC from your post from several years ago, i think you tend to struggle to gain weight. But the term thick tends to mean more fat than muscle. And even then, it's generally determined by your genetics in where your store that fat (i.e., your booty). In general, gain some weight and take pictures to compare. Doing programs that are focused on lower body will help with that look.