Healthy Lunch Ideas

Options
I'm sitting here making my weekly list before I head to the store and I'm scratching my head trying to think of new ideas for easy and healthy lunches. I've been eating a ton of salads and trying to avoid processed food as much as I can, but it can get a bit boring.

Anyone have some healthy go-to quick lunches that they would like to share? Help save me from the boring lunch blues! :o)

Replies

• pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I usually take dinner leftovers and nuke them, but on weekends, my go-to lunch is tuna on whole wheat, with cucumber or spinach instead of lettuce, and a little bit of real mayo. Works out to about 300 calories. My wife does a fruit salad with grapes, apples, banana, greek yogourt and some granola.
  • MarsChallenge
    MarsChallenge Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    someone posted a cauliflower soup recipe. it is filling and very low in calories. I can post if you are interested. I made it last week, and ate it almost everyday!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    BBQ chicken with cheddar sliced in to wraps. SO good!!!
  • hzarack
    hzarack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you like tuna, but I eat a lot of that. Usually I'll have one can(100cals) with a few cherry tomatoes and some celery mixed in over top of some lettuce. Or i'll have it on a sandwich thin, which only has 100 calories in it as well. Another decent lunch is some fresh mixed fruit, I usually have watermellon, kiwi, and strawberries, with a yogurt and some granola.
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I make vegetable lasagna with sauteed mushrooms and spinach and freeze it and single serving portions.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like the bumble bee tuna sensations
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I cook about 10 frozen chicken tenderloins or breasts in my crock pot, then individually shred and bag them up (freezing a few). Then during the week I just grab a bag, add a little mayo, and eat it with Wasa or Kashi crackers and some baby carrots. Canned meat tends to have a ton of sodium; cooking my own saves a few hundred grams!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I LOVE making tabouleh and mixing in grilled salmon, goat cheese, cottage cheese, spinach, or a whole mess of other veggies.
    Near East has an okay-ish boxed tabouleh mix that I've seen in most supermarkets, but you definitely have to add a lot of fresh parsley, tomato, and fresh-squeezed lemon to the finished mixed.

I also enjoy making smoothies with Greek yogurt, fruit, and protein powder.
  • Lilylove86
    Lilylove86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I cook about 10 frozen chicken tenderloins or breasts in my crock pot, then individually shred and bag them up (freezing a few). Then during the week I just grab a bag, add a little mayo, and eat it with Wasa or Kashi crackers and some baby carrots. Canned meat tends to have a ton of sodium; cooking my own saves a few hundred grams!

how do you cook your chicken breasts in the crockpot??? I've been wanting to try that
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love this idea & think I will try it today! If you like buffalo chicken, I cook chicken in the crockpot with buffalo sauce & shred it & it makes a great sandwich or goes good w/crackers,too! :)
  • andeygirl
    andeygirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My go-to weekday lunch is a Morning Star black bean burger on a deli flat and a stick of colby jack cheese for 310 calories.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Brown rice and black beans (I make a ton and put individual servings in the fridge in individual glass containers to bring to work) with a small apple and fresh veggies. I add a tiny bit of salt to my veggies. Sometimes I also bring a hard boiled egg to go along with all that.
  • acciomuscles
    Options
    I love this idea & think I will try it today! If you like buffalo chicken, I cook chicken in the crockpot with buffalo sauce & shred it & it makes a great sandwich or goes good w/crackers,too! :)

I actually buy sodium-free marinades and cook them in that -- adds a bit of flavor but no evil sodium ;)
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A quite filling soup is so easy and low in cals , Water ,1 oxo cube chicken or veg 16 cals then what you fancy ,tomatoes,carrots,cauliflower anything ,simmer 15, 20 mins ,cool slightly stick blender till smooth then if you want herbs or spices add .I try to make it thicker so it fills me up more.

Its not top of the range soup but its very palatable.
  • acciomuscles
    Options

how do you cook your chicken breasts in the crockpot??? I've been wanting to try that

I put the whole bag of them in there (about 10 breasts), add about a cup of water and eyeball the amount of marinade, then cook on low for about 8 hours. Super easy!
  • KEShikes
    Options
    I LOVE making tabouleh and mixing in grilled salmon, goat cheese, cottage cheese, spinach, or a whole mess of other veggies.
    Near East has an okay-ish boxed tabouleh mix that I've seen in most supermarkets, but you definitely have to add a lot of fresh parsley, tomato, and fresh-squeezed lemon to the finished mixed.

I also enjoy making smoothies with Greek yogurt, fruit, and protein powder.

Oh, that tabouleh mix sounds delicious!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    BBQ chicken with cheddar sliced in to wraps. SO good!!!

I concur
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    someone posted a cauliflower soup recipe. it is filling and very low in calories. I can post if you are interested. I made it last week, and ate it almost everyday!

I would love to try the recipe. Once the cool weather begins soups will be great. :o)
  • ChangingJojo
    ChangingJojo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all of these great ideas!!!! List is now made and now I must tackle the store and watch my budget! That's another topic for another day. LOL
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    bump