Big calorie day: What to eat for playing sports?

Options
Today I'm going to be playing softball with some coworkers of mine for a charity softball tournament. I already know it's going to burn a lot of calories, as physical a sport as it is. I'm also doing my YogaX workout in P90X today, so that will burn up some calories too. Overall, I'm expecting to burn at least 1100 calories, maybe more. What do you all eat on a big physical day like this? I don't want to end up 1000 calories or more short of my net goal for fear that it hurts my body's metabolism and that I'm exhausting all nutrients I've taken in.

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Honestly? ... I'd probably go out and get a cheeseburger or some ribs.... :D

I mean! Um, uh... An avocado? Extra serving of grilled chicken and vege-- hahahahahaha. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No, really.... I'd eat a huge stack of chocolate chip pancakes.
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, after expending a lot of effort, your body is primed to take in whatever you give it. So if you opt for excellent nutrition, you'll be ok. It's a great time to add in your multivitamin too!

Protein, obviously. But also get in a lot of produce. Fresh picked, local fruits & veggies are the best. "Eat by color" the more vibrant and varied the produce you eat, the biggest assumed variety of micro nutrients you're getting.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If I have a big ride or race at the weekend I tend to have Pasta a day or 2 before the event and then just eat a banana or 2 the day of the event, the rest of the time I just eat normally and make sure I get a good meal when I get home.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You only need to worry about your " set " calorie goal. For example ... if your daily goal is 1500 calories, once you reach that you are good to go. Any extra calories do to exercise is over and above what you need. Therefore ... if you go light you will see more weight loss ... if you eat everything extra you got ... you will maintain. Basic theory is : Burn more than you eat to lose, Burn just what you eat to maintain ... and Burn less than your eating and you will gain ! I would assume with all the activity you plan on doing today you will be burning morn than 1100 calories. I think you should be wise in your choices, but enjoy the food ! : )
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well if you are going out after the softball game, don't beat yourself up if you have a beer and some wings! Or you could go the refuel route...chocolate milk and a peanut butter sandwich?
  • mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eat tuna or chicken since you are burning calories - plus you'll get that protein
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    High Protein, Low Carb, and make sure to take in a little salt to avoid Muscle Cramps :-)
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Beforehand I'd eat a great breakfast full of carbs and protein so you have energy...afterward it would be best to have something on the healthier side..just nothing overboard that makes you regret it!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Honestly? ... I'd probably go out and get a cheeseburger or some ribs.... :D

I mean! Um, uh... An avocado? Extra serving of grilled chicken and vege-- hahahahahaha. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No, really.... I'd eat a huge stack of chocolate chip pancakes.

Emily!!!!!
  • philm00x
    Options
    Hmm.... tuna and peanut butter sound great (not in the same sandwich though, lol!). I've got some whole wheat pasta and sauce I can cook up, too. There's a Buffalo Wild Wings right across the street from the park where the softball field is too, so I may have to indulge on some wings afterward :D Thanks for all of the suggestions and input, guys and gals!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Perhaps a low sugar electrolyte replacement to have while you are playing softball... This will keep you fueled during your activity. Other than that a protein shake after P90X, some peanut butter on apples, almonds, and perhaps a Lara or Cliff bar.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would go for a huge protein shake. Low carb of course.