Holidaze approaching... Oh crap!

Options
The holidays are when many people's healthy lifestyle efforts go flying out the window. And how can they not? There are always so many delicious things to indulge in with the people u love. How are u planning on staying healthy whilst not depriving yourself this season?

Replies

• pritichandran
    pritichandran Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Eating smaller portions to enjoy all the delicious foods, doing some kind of movement daily, while still logging in my food diary on MFP.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the right thing to do, but..... I'm having December off exercising and calorie counting. Coming back in January raring to go :) (probably!!)
  • marzahl68
    Options
    I won't skip the turkey, I won't skip pumpkin pie or any of the other goodies during Thanksgiving and Christmas but I won't eat 4 slices of pie or pile my place up sky high. Moderation is the key, I think. I also won't restrict myself to the usual 1200 calories on Turkey Day or Christmas Day. I believe I can afford to add an extra 200 or 300 cals for these days without having to dig out my fat clothes again. Many holiday foods can also be prepared with less fat, Splenda instead of sugar etc.
    The holidays shouldn't amount to more than maybe 4 days of different eating. It's not a November/December eating binge, or at least it shouldn't be.
    www.allrecipes.com has everything you need to cook up a healthier but still tasty holiday feast. I'm not worried about the holidays and gaining weight. Even if I gain a pound, I know how to take it off again - no big deal!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat under my calorie goal most of the time and let myself have fun on the actual holidays. I'm restraining myself with Halloween though because that's not a big holiday dinner, its more like a week or two of CANDY xD Soo maybe a candy bar or two ON Halloween but not the huge stockpile we used to get. But on Thanksgiving and Christmas I'm going to indulge in the big holiday meals. :) No biggie. Won't be too much worse than one of my standard re-feed days.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the shred for all the months that have 30 days - November will be next. That will help keep me on track. I've just gotten into a smaller size & buying new clothes so I don't plan to undo that for stupid Christmas. Fortunately, I run with an older crowd so NOBODY has too much crap stuff around even for the holidays.
    For parties, I'll eat before I go, snack on healthy stuff and/or take just a bite/small portion of the decadent stuff.
    Move at least 30 mins every day.
    Then I'll do the shred again in Feb. I have a goal for New Year's Eve - I'm about 13 lbs away now .. I can smell it LOL I'd REALLY like to hit my NYE goal more than I want to eat junk food
    that's not to say that I don't plan to indulge a day or two - I know I'll be out shopping & snacking with the grandkids but running around with kids burns calories too, right?
  • gary8964
    Options
    One word: Moderation. Well, three actually:daily exercise.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to eat something healthy before I go out so I'm not wolfing down all the delicious treats. I may have to turn down some invitations.
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat what I want, but keep track of my calories and compensate by stepping up my workouts in December. So afraid of going backwards!!!!
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I won't skip the turkey, I won't skip pumpkin pie or any of the other goodies during Thanksgiving and Christmas but I won't eat 4 slices of pie or pile my place up sky high. Moderation is the key, I think. I also won't restrict myself to the usual 1200 calories on Turkey Day or Christmas Day. I believe I can afford to add an extra 200 or 300 cals for these days without having to dig out my fat clothes again. Many holiday foods can also be prepared with less fat, Splenda instead of sugar etc.
    The holidays shouldn't amount to more than maybe 4 days of different eating. It's not a November/December eating binge, or at least it shouldn't be.
    www.allrecipes.com has everything you need to cook up a healthier but still tasty holiday feast. I'm not worried about the holidays and gaining weight. Even if I gain a pound, I know how to take it off again - no big deal!

*like*
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    My husband and I might be having our first ever Christmas alone (we usually alternate years visiting our respective sets of parents but it's my parents' year and they're going out of town) so I'll probably roast some cornish game hens and make a pumpkin pie for supper... Nothing too decadent, and we'll probably visit some in-town family on Christmas Eve, but I'm not going to deprive myself, I'll just have some treats in moderation :)

I'm not big on Thanksgiving (I usually only have one helping, I hate feeling overstuffed!) but I just need to make sure I only take ONE THING from the dessert table! We're visiting my hubby's parents for that holiday this year and his dad is an amazing German cook so I'm going to have to be super diligent not to eat too much starchy stuff.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat nothing, and taste everything! :)

Thanksgiving is such a lose-lose Holiday. If I don't eat a lot.. then that means I don't like the food and I'm insulting my aunt, and if I do eat a lot..while then I may as well be back at square one.
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Holiday season has never been a problem for me because the "holiday binge" only happens on two days - Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day; I don't calorie count either day. Both days/evenings are spent at my grandmother's house, where she makes (and keeps) all the food. I never bring any leftovers home, so the following day I'm right back on track.

So yeah. For me, the holidays amount to no more than two days of free eating, rather than two months of full-blown abandon.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    One day here or there isn't a big deal, but I usually end up at SEVERAL Christmas parties that all have food pushers that are hosting. My family gets offended if you don't eat their food, but of course, when I've already eaten at the in law's house, I don't want to eat again.

Ugh. I love holiday food, but I'm almost dreading the season.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't know if I'm lucky or not. The holidays are my favorite time of year, but once again I'll be missing them all out here in Singapore. While my family will be munching candy on Halloween, eating turkey on Thanksgiving and having our traditional lasagna dinner at Christmas I'll be eating the same as every other day.

Halloween isn't really celebrated here, at least not in a big way and it's very easy to avoid anything to do with it. Thanksgiving obviously isn't noticed over here and if this Christmas is anything like the last, there will be plenty of decorations around the country but it still feels like the middle of summer here- no hot chocolate or eggnog this way! Last Christmas I ate rice and chicken from a cheapo food stall and it will probably be the same this year. I'll get out my :sad: now and appreciate at least I won't have to worry about counting calories.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'll be researching recipes like crazy to be able to make healthy stuff to take to the parties with me. Then I'll eat in moderation and exercise too!