Barcode Scanning??? HELP!

Options
BenHumphreys407
BenHumphreys407 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
This may be a dumb question, but is there anyway to use the barcode scanner to log items in general, for later use? All It seems to do is scan it when you're eating it there and then, no actual way to just save it into the app and then add it to the diary when needed? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This may be a dumb question, but is there anyway to use the barcode scanner to log items in general, for later use? All It seems to do is scan it when you're eating it there and then, no actual way to just save it into the app and then add it to the diary when needed? Thanks in advance!

The barcode scanning feature is a search of the public Food Database. There is no feature in MFP to place an item from the public Food Database into any other place but your Food Diary (or as an ingredient in a Recipe using the Recipe Builder). Once you have added an item to one of the meal slots in your Food Diary, it will normally be found on the Recent list query of your Food Diary, so you can find it there and do not need to scan that barcode again.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using the 'Create New Meal' option, saving it and not logging it, and then going back to your saved meals to add it later.
  • Ratherbeswimming73
    Options
    Wophie wrote: »
    I would suggest using the 'Create New Meal' option, saving it and not logging it, and then going back to your saved meals to add it later.

I agree. That's definitely the best way to scan foods for later use.

• melkins133
    melkins133 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to scan my foods after coming home from the grocery store for later use!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    melkins133 wrote: »
    I want to scan my foods after coming home from the grocery store for later use!

Scan it as having been eaten on some past date shortly before you started MFP, maybe. That will maybe distort some long-term statistics, but not much. After it's scanned, it will stay in your recent/frequent foods as long as you use it semi-often.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    In this instance, I'll usually add it to today's log with something like 0.01 servings. That way it adds ~nothing to today and will be quickly available in recents when I need to log it later.