Bereavement and food

Options
Having had two bereavements in one year I'm trying to get back some control of my life.
Some days I don't eat anything except crap as it makes me feel better or I'm just too exhausted from life to take care of myself properly.
I still have family commitments, work, bills to pay. I use up most of my energy just getting through work so I don't have to worry to much about finances as well.
Making better choices is hard... I'd settle for maintaining the weight I'm at....loss and sadness has made me old....
I struggle to get moving and don't see how I can manage to excercise right now...
I'm trying to focus on food till the first of July... might then give excercise a go.

Replies

• PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your losses!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,711 Member
    Options
    I went through a period of depression following quitting my very longtime job in a family business. Leaving involved anger and much bitterness on both sides.

I know it’s nothing on your level, and it sounds trite to put it this way, but it was very much like a death(s) in the family, being shut out by close family members.

I found that simply making myself get out and walk became easier and easier, and did wonders for my mood, and ultimately my health. When they finally decided they needed me again, I was also in a better frame of mind to be there and help out. It was easier to leave their problems in their living room whenever I’d leave, too.

Walking and thinking were a sort of wringing out process.

Exercise doesn’t have to be fancy or involve shifting weights or moving fast. Walking was a start for me, was incredibly therapeutic, and was a stepping stone to the fancier stuff.

Hugs to you. Go enjoy some sunshine ☀️!!!

You don’t have to
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,711 Member
    Options
    Oh, and surprisingly, I feel much younger now. Losing the weight of sorrow does that for you.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Grief is a very difficult and personal thing, so let yourself feel it and work through it. In the meantime, don't add any other issues. If eating something will only provide a brief moment of happiness and then a wave of regret afterwards, is it really worth it? Stop and think first. It may help.

I also agree that walking is the best medicine sometimes. Exercise does not need to be timed or planned or rigid. Just get up and move. Hope you're doing better soon!