Mindfulness in weight loss

Options
Hi MFP colleagues,
I'm a physician (gyn) and I've been studying obesity and wellness practices and have this idea to combine them into one unified method to help people lose weight. I am trying to figure out if anyone would want to incorporate these ideas into their lives?
The more I learn about weight loss, the more I realize the simple calorie counting isn't the answer and that you can't really lose weight without addressing your mindset. I'm finally making some progress for myself. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• 1ZenJen
    1ZenJen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe positive thoughts equal positive results. Good luck on your journey!
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    @kmann76 I am going to send you a friend request--I don't think I can send a PM without being friends! I am a writer/e-learning developer and have been noodling how to create and market a comprehensive program that teaches and guides learners through the weight loss process. I've got a rough outline of courses and a wishlist of subject matter experts but that's as far as I've gone. I'd love to chat!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. I've been here for years - and struggling for years...
    I'm really trying to find why I keep failing and I think it is mindset, more specifically the concept of loving yourself.
    So, this is my new focus, trying to learn to love myself and seeing if that makes life easier. I suspect it's the root cause of most of my problems in life tbh.
  • eternalsummer
    eternalsummer Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Mindfulness is important when attempting such a drastic behavioral change. Losing weight, exercising more, developing new habits and exercising control over portions and food choices requires mindfulness to get us out of our old habits, the way I see it. Implementing a whole new lifestyle can be stressful in the most basic sense that it requires us to adjust our automatic habits and rework them. This is more effort and energy expended than one normally outputs. Then you got other daily stressors that it make sense that a good way forward is using mindfulness and having tools to cope with incoming stressors while making adjustments. Research shows that it lowers cortisol as well which helps in weight loss efforts but I find it most fascinating that mindfulness can influence us to make healthier decisions by providing us the mental space we need that may not have been there otherwise unless we made effort to cultivate it.
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I like to go fast. I like to slide into home base. I prefer when I am challenged to develop a back up plan. Unfortunately this cortisol driven behaviour is terrible for loosing weight. Cortisol drives up insulin levels and you cannot burn fat. I am trying to develop mindfulness particularly at the beginning of the day when cortisol is naturally high. I think this will help me loose weight. Big behaviour change. I am determined to change!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kmann76 wrote: »
    Hi MFP colleagues,
    I'm a physician (gyn) and I've been studying obesity and wellness practices and have this idea to combine them into one unified method to help people lose weight. I am trying to figure out if anyone would want to incorporate these ideas into their lives?
    The more I learn about weight loss, the more I realize the simple calorie counting isn't the answer and that you can't really lose weight without addressing your mindset. I'm finally making some progress for myself. What are your thoughts?

Hmm, I see this post is from April and the OP didn't come back, but I think Noom beat her to it:

https://www.noom.com/blog/what-is-noom-how-does-noom-work/

Also Beck:

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)