Stop thinking about food 24/7

Options
Please help how do I train my stupid brain to stop thinking about FOOD 24/7 xxxx

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Think about something else. Not kidding. We can only think about 1 thing at a time. If you are thinking about what movie you want to watch, or paying bills or work, you can’t be thinking about food.

Not everything that goes on in our brains is really thinking. Thinking is deliberative process. We can’t be doing that all the time, we’d be exhausted. But our brains can’t turn off. Our brains keep running even when we sleep. So since our brains can’t shut up, a lot of the time it’s just running filler. And sometime that filler can be distressing. But the brain keeps going there because it’s a habit, just like any other habit. Bad habits can be broken but it takes concentration. Another thing about habits is a way to get away from bad ones is replacement.

That’s why people who want to do things like stop eating while watching TV take up knitting. I’ve talked to people trying not to snack while watching TV and they say things like “next thing I knew I was sitting there eating crackers right out of the box. Don’t know how the crackers got there.” Having to put down knitting to pick up the crackers breaks that chain.

What can you find to occupy your mind? Something you actually find interesting, not just something you think you should. If you can’t think of anything else try YouTube. Try some guided meditation or affirmations. There’s plenty of stuff aimed right at your issue. Good luck.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Accept that thoughts will happen, acknowledge them when they do, and dismiss them. This is what one aims to do with all thoughts when meditating. If you try not to think about something it is impossible to do so. You probably have no reason or inclination to think about a giraffe right now, but if I tell you that whatever you do I don’t want you to think about a giraffe, then it is a lost cause because your mind is already thinking of it. So just acknowledge the fact, don’t beat yourself up and go on about the rest of your life.

88 Olds advice is great - do something that requires being active or at least using your hands and some minimal amount of concentration to distract yourself/replace the thoughts with something else.

Additionally, not all food thoughts are troublesome. When something you don’t want to be thinking about comes up you can try to reorient your thoughts to recording your meals, counting the calories in/out, planning a healthy menu or think about what you might want to have instead that serves your goals better and still has the crunch, or sweetness or whatever you may be craving instead of obsessing about something you don’t want to be thinking about.

Or better yet, get up and take a walk. Delay taking action on any random thought you might have for a minimum of 20 minutes. Also, try to be alert to why you are having these thoughts/cravings. Are you really feeling something else - like bored, lonely, tired, depressed. Address the issue that is underlying the thought.
    I hope you have forgotten about the giraffe (ha , ha) …
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    What helped for me was to cut out all between-meal eating and pre-plan my meals so I can totally stop wondering what else I can eat. Then I fill up that time. If I start getting the munchies, I usually take the dogs for a walk around the block, and that knocks the idea out of my head.

Also restricting your intake too much can make you hungry and food-obsessed. Make sure your calories allowance is generous and your weight loss slow so you get enough food and nutrition and learn how to eat right for the long haul. I started out here 8 years ago at 1200 calories a day, and I will never do that to myself again. I've lost bonus lbs eating 1800-1900 calories a day and skipping the binging that used to plague me.

Hope that helps.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For me I have to eat to not think about food all the time. I eat the right foods to lose weight, lots of veggies and protein so I feel full. I also drink a lot of water and tea. It's about getting back into a healthy life style with food and movement again. Don't starve yourself.
  • bleuchez
    bleuchez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i love the feeling when i realize i am not hungry but i am light not stuffed, and it's because earlier i ate a filling food like oats or fruit

your question, i have realized that's the sort of self contemplation that can be set at meditation. but i wish i meditate. it's one of my goals though
    just learned this: the mind controls the brain that controls the body
  • Sammi_x_
    Sammi_x_ Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot better view on food since starting to eat a little healthier.
    Rather than when offered food to say Oh I am on a diet I cant have this, I now starting saying just no I don't want it. It has made a difference.

Also after eating healthy and then trying something bad like chocolate, I then dont like the taste.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    How do you fill your time? If you aren’t working, I recommend employment. If you don’t have a hobby, learn something challenging and new. Take piano lessons, for example.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea. When you find yourself thinking about food, quiz yourself on something like all the January birthdays you can remember, then February, etc. Or the words to a song. Just enough to switch tracks.