exercise and the Asthmatic

Options
Hi all .... question for the rest of the MFP community ... i am an asthmatic.. typically my episodes are trigged by airborne allergens...but sometimes from strenuous activity (IE pushing myself too hard on the treadmill) ... I use an inhaler (and / or nebulizer breathing treatment) and dont have any issues with managing it ... But having to stop exercising , get the inhaler and wait for my breathing to stabilize in MY head seems to kill my progress... By the time ive done all that my heart rate is coming back down and I have to start all over again... Does anyone have any suggestions for fat burning exercises that minimizes my risk of an episode?

Replies

• pidgy
    pidgy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hi-i am an asthmatic too, and after several months of keeping at it i have to tell you i havent had to use my "machine" as i like to call it at all, nor do i use my inhaler as much.....here's how i did it on the treadmill:
    2 min walking at a reasonable pace (say, 3) with no incline...then 1 min at 4 or 5 as the setting, then 3 mins at 3 again, then 4 or 5 for two mins, and then start all over again....for 30 mins, every other day, for two weeks...then up the slower and faster paces by .5 and so on....at least for me, this up down pace was the key to finally get me able to run (actually running!) for fifteen mins straight and no inhaler needed!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bumping this. I have asthma too (triggered by allergies and strenueous exercise) Been starting to jog... and I think I could go longer and harder if it wasn't for the asthma, but it is sooooo hard to control my breathing when I start pushing myself.
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about asthma. I started exercising in July and started having exercised induced asthma. It blows. I feel like I can't increase my stamina because whenever I get breathing hard I start wheezing. I just had a methacoline challenge test, and my doctor prescribed an inhaler. She said to take it 1/2 hour before i begin exercising tho. Have you tried that? Another thing she ordered is a little contraption that goes in between the inhaler and my mouth, so when you press it the spray goes in there then you inhale it. She said that way it goes all the way into your lungs and not on your tongue or throat.
    I am going to pick these things up today so i can't really say if it works. So sorry if you know all this, but decided to post it incase you were new to this like me.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    A good fat burn can also include putting your heart rate up then letting it come down again before you allow it to go up again... so believe it or not you are doing a good fat burn............just like walking for a few minutes then sprinting for a minute then walking again, so dont worry !
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    I don't know much about asthma. I started exercising in July and started having exercised induced asthma. It blows. I feel like I can't increase my stamina because whenever I get breathing hard I start wheezing. I just had a methacoline challenge test, and my doctor prescribed an inhaler. She said to take it 1/2 hour before i begin exercising tho. Have you tried that? Another thing she ordered is a little contraption that goes in between the inhaler and my mouth, so when you press it the spray goes in there then you inhale it. She said that way it goes all the way into your lungs and not on your tongue or throat.
    I am going to pick these things up today so i can't really say if it works. So sorry if you know all this, but decided to post it incase you were new to this like me.

I have that "contraption" as well...It DOES help get more of the inhaler into your lungs.. I havnt however tried hitting the "machine" / inhaler BEFORE the exercise routine... Ill have to give that a go ...
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed your exercise regiment with your pulmonologist? Which airborne allergens? Is it seasonal? I would encourage you to talk with them maybe change your medications to suit your excercise style or they may suggest a better way to self administer it.
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    Have you discussed your exercise regiment with your pulmonologist? Which airborne allergens? Is it seasonal? I would encourage you to talk with them maybe change your medications to suit your excercise style or they may suggest a better way to self administer it.
    Pretty much breathing a concentrated amount of ANY fine dust like particles will set it off : going to someones house where there are inside animals (esp cats) , Dusty attics , seasonal weeds (rag weed and golden rod are some of the worst offenders).

I DO have an appt with my dr to discuss changing my sleep aid.. ill bring it up with her then
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    hi-i am an asthmatic too, and after several months of keeping at it i have to tell you i havent had to use my "machine" as i like to call it at all, nor do i use my inhaler as much.....here's how i did it on the treadmill:
    2 min walking at a reasonable pace (say, 3) with no incline...then 1 min at 4 or 5 as the setting, then 3 mins at 3 again, then 4 or 5 for two mins, and then start all over again....for 30 mins, every other day, for two weeks...then up the slower and faster paces by .5 and so on....at least for me, this up down pace was the key to finally get me able to run (actually running!) for fifteen mins straight and no inhaler needed!
    this along with hitting the "machine" allowed me to add an additional 10 mins to the treadmill tonight .. was able to light jog for 15 of the 25 mins!!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    It's uncanny that you posted this! I was just about to post a similar inquiry.

I was recently diagnosed with RAD, my episodes are triggered by allergens and strenuous exercise. It's a serious motivation killer!

Recently, I have been taking my Singulair daily and have noticed that when I finish my short & sweet bike rides with my boyfriend every weekend (about 2-3 miles in a half hour, 45 minutes) that I don't need my Inhaler. Not sure if its the Singulair or the fact that biking slow and steady is easier on my lungs, but I'd definitely suggest it!

Any tips on dealing with the episodes when they DO come-- I'm new at this and could use any pointers I could get. :)
  • quigonnjae
    Options

I was recently diagnosed with RAD, my episodes are triggered by allergens and strenuous exercise. It's a serious motivation killer!

Recently, I have been taking my Singulair daily and have noticed that when I finish my short & sweet bike rides with my boyfriend every weekend (about 2-3 miles in a half hour, 45 minutes) that I don't need my Inhaler. Not sure if its the Singulair or the fact that biking slow and steady is easier on my lungs, but I'd definitely suggest it!

Any tips on dealing with the episodes when they DO come-- I'm new at this and could use any pointers I could get. :)

I would have to say that the bike ride is easier on your breathing .. From what I understand about singulair ... essentially it controls the asthma triggers not so much the symptoms.... I really cant help ya with dealing with the episodes when they come .. other than hitting up the inhaler and backing off for a bit ... sorry wish I could be more help
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Since starting here at MFP I've stopped all my asthma meds. No more Singulair, it gave me weird dreams and anything that messes with my brain I'm not into. Tonight I had a reaction to some new salad dressing, (I have food allergies/sensitivities as well that can heighten my asthma or just make me itchy or sick), so I took some Loratadine, but only when I absolutely need it.

I started out really low on the elliptical. Really, stayed at level one for three weeks. Then worked up to level two and three. I kept getting stronger and my endurance has grown incredibly. I've added weight training to get even stronger, but my lungs have improved so much. Short workout days are 25 minutes on the elliptical, and I have music that makes my heart rate come up and maintain. Long work out 35 minutes, and I'm up to 6 and 7 on the tension on the elliptical, whereas in the beginning I couldn't do anything.

The key is to start slowly and strengthen your lungs slowly. It is a process, but it does get better. If you find you need your inhaler, then you're going to fast too soon. Don't be impatient. Slow and steady wins the race. Fast and furious loses face.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    2nding the advice to take the inhaler a half hour before hand.

Also, look into getting a control inhaler, such as Asmanex, that you take daily - that might help you rely on your rescue inhaler less and less.

Finally, your mileage may vary, but ever since getting reasonably fit I have been virtually asthma-free.
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

I'm not asthmatic my children are I was going to suggest a preventer like singulair or maybe even a long term reliever like serotide

Just on a odd factor someone suggested I take them to a chiro. I took them to a osteopath and before I did they were in hospital every month and one of the boys wouldnt be able to run at all despite being on inhaled steroids and singulair....ANYWAY that was 6 or so months ago and they haven't had a large attack since I took them and they are off of the steroids

other than take the reliever and sit down I don't think you can do much when you are having the actual episode
  • aimeenicole324
    aimeenicole324 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I have that "contraption" as well...It DOES help get more of the inhaler into your lungs.. I havnt however tried hitting the "machine" / inhaler BEFORE the exercise routine... Ill have to give that a go ...

I was diagnosed with this exercise induced asthma about two years ago. At first I just ignored it and worked out the way I always did. I hated the way my inhaler made me feel all shaky. Then I started to get frustrated with never improving my stamina. I started using my inhaler 15-30 minutes before working out and I can do cardio a lot longer now. It definitely helps, though some days not as well as others.