Once I put in my exercise calories I have a lot of calories left over will this hinder my weight los

Options
srichburg65
srichburg65 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2023 in Getting Started
1000 calories left

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    No, it won’t hinder your weight loss. You’ll lose about 2 pounds each week above what you’ve already set as your weight loss rate in MFP (1-2 pounds/week) which is VERY aggressive.

It could hinder workout performance, make you cranky, make you tired, keep you in a state of constant hunger, make you more likely to binge, etc. It’s OK to do it for a little while (as long as your net daily calories aren’t too low—1200 is usually recommendation for women) and you are getting adequate nutrition. But be kind to yourself and eat the extra calories when you need them.

I wouldn’t be able to keep it up for more than a few days, and then I’d give up because I feel awful and then I’d be back to square one.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Two thoughts. I know you’re an old account but don’t know if you’ve ever actually dived in and done this before. Your diary is closed. So treating you as new.

My first thought is, you’re grossly over calculating exercise calories. I’ve walked, ridden my bike, done a cardio class, an aquafit class and a Pilates class already today, turning my “move” ring four times before I even had lunch. I’ve earned a net 796 calories for all of it. I’m very active, and have been at this a while so I’m pretty confident my calories are reasonably on target.

Bet they’re not as big as you’d expect, right? Sad truth, it’s hard to burn bulk exercise calories.

I see so many people here awarding themselves 1,000 calories for a half hour walk, saw one the other day that “earned” 800 for twenty minutes on an elliptical. That’s unrealistic and very inaccurate. Some people award themselves calories for housework. If it’s part of a calculated plan and works for you, fine, but baby, I was the Queen of Clean and was obese the whole time I flogged my Dyson. My Dyson was in hella better shape than I was.

So if you’re new to exercise and logging it, check your expectations.

Secondly, how accurate is your logging? Experience and diligence will tell you pretty quickly if you’re getting results as anticipated. Opening your diary and asking for help might yield some helpful input. Most people will refrain from analyzing and commenting on other folks’ diaries unless specifically asked, though.

IF you are logging both exercise and food properly, it’s OK to be wildly under for a day or two. I’ve been myself, but can tell you from experience you’ll be making up for it later in the week.

Cuz…..if you don’t, under eating will lead to fatigue, mood swings, probably hair loss (and malnutrition hair doesn’t grow back quickly), what I like to think of as Sudden Nap Onset, muscle loss and more. And what’s the most important muscle in your body? Your heart. You can cause heart damage by severe undereating. There’s been some heartbreaking cautionary tales shared here.

Don’t be that person.

Fuel your body. It’s the only one you’ve got. Serve it well and it will serve you well, too.