Indoor exercise

Options
hlr1987
hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
Hi all,
Does anyone have any routines for indoor exercise that they do, for inspiration?

I'm much more house bound this season to minimise triggers for my allergy induced asthma, and struggling with breathing issues in general.
Doss anyone usually exercise inside at home, and if so, do you vary the activities or stick to one thing like yoga? How have you built a routine?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I like to vary the exercises I do, as I find exercise for exercise sake rather boring. Yoga, pilates, calisthenics, weights, if space is limited. Low impact cardio like Leslie Sansome's walking videos or dancing to your favorite music will burn more calories. If you have space, get an exercise machine you enjoy: treadmill to walk or run, bike, rowing machine or elliptical are all good options.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have an indoor cycling trainer that I can put my bike on along with the Zwift app. I mostly ride and exercise outdoors, but I use my trainer a lot in the winter when it's dark and cold or when the weather in general is uncooperative.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I was never one for indoor exercise, preferred going to the gym but when the world closed down I had to find something to do at home.
    At first I did a lot of the Hasfit routines, I was familiar with them as I would use them while travelling.
    After a while I decided to peek into a thread on this sub-forum ‘What YouTube video did you do today’. It was a life saver. There were so many varieties of workouts that people were doing. I tested many of them and the ones that I really liked I subscribed to, others I would just save a couple of the routines I liked.

Have a look at the thread and try a few. Start at the beginning and just work you way along picking and choosing what you like.

I loved doing a quick 10 min jolly simple routine when I was stressed, I could always do a 2nd or third when I was less stressed. I also liked having the Girvan or similar 30 day routines to challenge me a little more.

I haven’t bothered returning to the gym yet. Still happy with my very varied home workouts.

Cheers, h.

Here is a link to the thread
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10796095/what-youtube-workout-did-you-do-today/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I think this isn't helpful, but I'll risk it since I assume your allergy/asthma situation is pretty much a permanent thing.

I routinely do indoor exercise all Winter, have done for over 20 years. Pre-pandemic, some of that was gym, but far from all. During the pandemic, it became entirely home-based exercise in Winter.

I've slowly acquired some exercise equipment. Some of it is bigger, higher cost (rowing machine, stationary bike), some of it smaller/cheaper (exercise bands, kettlebells, some weights, inflatable exercise ball, door-frame chin-up bar, etc.). I don't have one, but a suspension training (TRX type) setup is something that a person can create a good workout around, that can work even in an apartment-type setting.

I support others' options above, especially the "try some videos" ones. I was just wanting to offer some suggestions that could give you a bit of variety over the long haul, if that appeals to you.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I can’t drive and now need a rollator walker, so going to a gym or even mall walking is a huge hassle. I have a pretty low-tech stationary bike that I regularly use three times a week; when Covid started, a friend in another city and I started exercising together while talking on the phone, and we’re still at it. I bike, and she does a walking video with the sound off. We have set times in the morning, but sometimes need to alter the days due to my work schedule or if we have appointments or whatever. It’s been great for accountability and our friendship. Also, I have a bunch of physiotherapy exercises, but I don’t yet have a great system for doing them at home.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I ride my stationary bike daily. On MWF I do yoga videos through Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube, and an aerobic walking video with Leslie Sansone. On TTS I lift dumbbells, do calisthenics and stretches, all at home.

I just wanted to say that it took me a long time to get the stationary bike because I thought I didn't have room for it. A friend told me about a portable folding x frame bike that was about $130 on Amazon. The footprint was half what I expected, and it runs off a little battery. No cords. So if you want a starter bike, they are available.

On the other hand if I had the room I would love to get a full trainer and Zwift system. Or a Peloton, as long as I am dreaming! Good luck, and keep looking for exercise that works for you. It's out there somewhere!

Annie
  • lorimoster
    lorimoster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently bought an inflatable punching bag. The kind that is meant for kids, but I am short, so it is the perfect size for me. I am surprised by how much I like working out with it. It is mainly an upper body/arms workout but I do incorporate kicking the bag sometimes to get a leg/core workout also. It's so much fun and only cost about $25.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,599 Member
    Options
    lorimoster wrote: »
    I recently bought an inflatable punching bag. The kind that is meant for kids, but I am short, so it is the perfect size for me. I am surprised by how much I like working out with it. It is mainly an upper body/arms workout but I do incorporate kicking the bag sometimes to get a leg/core workout also. It's so much fun and only cost about $25.

I may or may not have some aggressions needing an outlet but OMG I would end up flat on my buttockular region trying to work it. :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I work out every morning in my room. I have been following Sydney Cummings (YouTube) the last month for strength training. I have a few dumbbells at home. If you don't, there's a lot of equipment free strength training on YouTube (growingannanas is a good one). For cardio, I do a lot of cdornerfitness, grow with jo, and Yvette Bachman, but there are so many others.