Tracking fruit

Options
On 1200 calories would you track calories for fruit. Its healthy i know - but the amount of calories are quite high like a banana being 105 calories and this puts me off. Would I lose weight if i had 12 00 calories for everything else but had maybe 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day without counting the calories.TIA

Replies

• mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Log it would be my vote. Fruits are in fact good for you and most people don’t eat enough however keep in mind that they are higher in carbs so for you to be a little more aware of your full nutritional practices just log them. Do not be surprised at the end of a week or several months. Let’s say you eat 200 cals of daily fruit calories over just 30 days that would tally 30*200=6k calories. Not bad calories, but over time a significant amount of unaccounted calories.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 922 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I would log it. It adds up… it also depends on what type of fruit you are eating. For instance as you know- medium banana has approx 100 calories, a few dates or figs depending on weight are 30-60 calories each. (I can never stop at 1- so 5 later I have over 200 calories worth of fruit.) over time it adds up and if you are watching ever calorie.. it pays to calculate it all.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Most fruits and veggies should be logged. Things like onions, lettuce etc, not so much.
  • donnabrom43
    donnabrom43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are there any foods that are free from calories? I’m new to this so any advice would be great.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Are there any foods that are free from calories? I’m new to this so any advice would be great.

Pretty much just water. There are a few things that say zero calories on the label, but in the US the label is allowed to say zero if there are fewer than 5 calories for the named serving size. Therefore, you may see zero on a label of something like some vinegars.

You need nutrients to thrive, right? Nutrients bring calories along with them. Maybe think in terms of foods that pack in a lot of nutrition for the number of calories?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Log it.

I saw Randall's had grapes on sale for 99c/pound. I got to the counter with nearly 8 pounds of grapes, lol, and I must have had as least 2 pounds in the last 24 hours. It may be fruit and mostly water, but that's still over 600 calories. Worth it imo!
  • thesawyerbunch
    thesawyerbunch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I log everything, so I vote to log it. Sure, bananas may have 100+ calories, but they're good for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    shazia20 wrote: »
    On 1200 calories would you track calories for fruit. Its healthy i know - but the amount of calories are quite high like a banana being 105 calories and this puts me off. Would I lose weight if i had 12 00 calories for everything else but had maybe 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day without counting the calories.TIA

Since unless you are very very short AND sedentary, you can eat more than 1200 calories and lose weight just fine, sure, you could likely stick to 1200 calories plus fruit.

As far as I'm concerned, it makes more sense to have a more reasonable daily calorie budget and log your fruit.

The 1200 Calorie Diet For Losing Weight: Myths vs Facts
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I would also log it. Those 3 servings of fruit could be 3-400 calories, which then puts you at potentially 1600 calories. Why wouldn't you track it?
  • Kosterc4383
    Kosterc4383 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My kcal target is all over the place. Minimum I have to eat is 1200. Maximum on sedentary days is 1600kcal. Every 1000 steps gives me 50kcal. I eat loads of fruit on active days, body needs fual. Do I weigh it on a daily basis? No. I just take note when I buy it. I don't buy more than 1400 kcal a week.
  • laurenthecarts
    laurenthecarts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You'd only be sabotaging your own efforts by not logging it, what's the point?

Weigh everything, be accurate and that's the only way that you're gonna guarantee results.

Your body doesn't care if its a healthy calorie or a bad one. You can eat 1000cals of bananas in a day or 1000 cals of chocolate in a day and you will still lose weight.

Skip weighing the 3 pieces of fruit? Say at 100 cals each for the sake of it - that's 300 over what you should be eating to hit your deficits... would you eat 300 cals in two chocolate bars and not bother to weigh them? (Hopefully not...!)
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    So, it seems everyone is voting to weigh and track the calories in fruit (I am in agreement). This is helpful not only for the amount of calories that you plan to eat for any particular day, but also for knowing your caloric intake over time. This way, you can better tweak your diet (what you eat and the calorie count). This is especially important when you get closer to your goal weight.
  • janet2030
    janet2030 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Everything u eat and drink gets tracked.. Including every coffee, if you are a coffee drink
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Live others have said .. log what you consume, all of it. as best you can.
    Because ...
    This is not WW, where you get a few types of food as free from tracking. This is a calorie counting ap.
    PS .. some people prefer to look at what their macros stack up to be, but even that's calorie driven.
  • janet2030
    janet2030 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    janet2030 wrote: »
    Including every coffee, if you are a coffee drink
    I like coffee, but I do not identify as a coffee drink.

Haha "coffee drinker"
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Is it possible 1200 calories is too low a goal for you? If you set your plan at 1400 or 1500 calories you would have a little leeway to enjoy that fruit you track, plus you would still likely lose weight.