Jump Start

Options
I know diet and exercise is number one for healthy weight loss. Has anyone taken an over the counter weight loss for 30 days just to get a jump start? If so, I’m interested if anything was worth the purchase. Thank you!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Bad idea on many levels
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If over the counter stuff actually worked, I think doctors would be telling people to take it. My doctor always just says move more, eat less.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I’ve always found that the best “jump start” is at the beginning when I’m really excited and focused and not bored or weary yet. I’ve always enjoyed a nice, motivating drop in the first couple of weeks just by buying healthier food I’m excited to eat, logging diligently, staying within my calories, and getting more steps in. It’s a lot of water weight coming off, but it’s nice to see.

The trick is to not let boredom or weariness or a slow down in weight loss after that initial period get me discouraged. It WILL happen. That’s when the work really starts.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    OTC "weight loss" stuff is just caffeine, and maybe some vitamins or whatever the magical potion du jour might be. They're snake oil, basically.

Eat less, move more. It works if you work it.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    OTC "weight loss" stuff is just caffeine, and maybe some vitamins or whatever the magical potion du jour might be. They're snake oil, basically.

Eat less, move more. It works if you work it.

Mostly. I think some of them have still been found to have amphetamines in them (pretty sure they get taken off the market when they do). But weight loss supplements can be pretty sketch. Which I know has been talked to death on here, so I won't go too much into it. Totally agreed they're not necessary.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Jump start by STARTING. There are no short cuts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: If it's legal it doesn't work and if it works, it isn't legal.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,515 Member
    Options
    My morbidly obese mom went into the hospital. It was pretty serious, so I had to search her desk (family business) to make sure nothing was hanging fire.

I discovered so many diet pill bottles that I filled two plastic grocery bags to the brim and took them to her care team so they’d be aware of undisclosed meds that might have been affecting her.

I assure you. She had enough pills to “jumpstart” a small stadium, and they didn’t do her a damn bit of good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd strongly, strongly suggest not looking for "jumpstarts". Think in terms of how to change your habits - routine daily eating and activity patterns - in ways that lead you to a healthy weight and keep you there, ideally permanently.

The drugs (and most for-pay named diets, exercise programs, supplements, etc.) are from marketers wanting to keep you in long-term dependency to what they sell. Getting you to a healthy weight and keeping you there . . . that doesn't create as much income for them. Keep in mind that the "for pay" designation includes sites that are free to you ($$ wise), but sell advertising so want to keep you hooked.

Jump off that train that leads to marketer profit via you trying extreme things, failing, and trying again, beating yourself up along the way as if you (not they) were the cause of failure. Find fun (at least tolerable) ways to move more forever (exercise or other stuff). Find ways to eat that you personally find to create a nice balance of filling, energizing, nutritious, tasty, practical, affordable, and calorie appropriate. Focus there.