Post - Chemo Weight Loss?

I added an additional 25lbs to my already hefty frame during chemo. Finished my last treatment over a year ago. Have been trying like the ****ens to lose weight. Mainly eating protein and fruits and veggies. I have not been perfect, but my eating has vastly improved since the beginning of the year. Have made minimal progress (approx 15 pounds since the beginning of the year)

Just wondering if there are MFP peeps that are post -chemo that Have also had difficulty losing? TIA

Replies

• Glamdoll2020
    Glamdoll2020 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. I’ve gained 20 lbs so far on chemo and steroids. I have 6 more chemotherapy treatments to go. Then, 6 weeks of radiation. I recently started walking again. I miss weightlifting and the gym.
  • emet1123
    emet1123 Posts: 6 Member
    Hey fellow warriors! I did 4 rounds of chemo in the summer and 25 rounds of radiation in the fall. I’m now on Tamoxifen and Zoladex injections which both have weight gain as noted side effects.

During the past 18 months I’ve put in about 25-30lbs. I seriously thought I would lose weight during cancer treatment. Nope.

I have to lose 50lbs+ before my surgeon will do my reconstruction (I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction and the radiation seriously screwed it all up!)

I’ve started doing intermittent fasting (16:8) 3 weeks ago and I work out 4-5x a week doing a variety of things: yoga, Pilates, dragon boat, strength and biking.

I feel like I’m starting to feel myself a little again. I’m down 6lbs. For reference I’m 44, 5’5” and started at 236lbs. The meds I’m on have essentially pushed me into menopause early so my doctor says I’m more like 50+.

Two things I’d recommend: Wellspring or Gildas Club both have cancer specific exercise classes.

The University of Calgary EXCEL program through their kinesiology program. It’s a virtual 12 week program / study for cancer patients and survivors. I have been loving it

Good luck on your journey!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    I'm super-long past treatment (stage III breast cancer, bilateral mastectomies with no reconstruction, 6 months chemo, 6 weeks radiation, 7.5 years estrogen agonists/antagonists), after diagnosis at age 44.

I didn't gain during treatment - medical team didn't want me to lose, so I was trying to avoid that then. I got way more active post treatment, trying to regain strength, vitality. I didn't lose weight yet then, but suspect increased activity, plus an increased emphasis on eating veggies, helped me avoid gaining much. Nonetheless, I was around class 1 obese for many further years.

Later - stupidly much later TBH - I lost weight fine, at age 59-60, and have stayed at a healthy weight since, now 67.

Honestly, I don't think 15 pounds loss in 6 months is terrible. Figuring out new permanent habits is really key, and if you're working on that, and making some progress, that may be fine. I get why you might like to see it faster (though you don't say how hefty you already are so that's hard to gauge).

Are you calorie counting, i.e. logging food faithfully? What's your size/age/calorie goal? Are you exercising, counting exercise calories, that sort of thing? Yeah, that's a lot of questions, but if a person wants to be losing weight by calorie counting, it's like a fun grown-up science fair experiment in which those are some of the important variables.

Keep in mind that the same things that make things challenging for everyone trying to lose weight - which are lots of things, unfortunately! - also make it hard for us post-treatment folks. It's easy to blame the cancer or treatment, and they can truly be part of the reasons, but it can be good to consider whether some of the other common roadblocks may be operating, too.

I think you can parse your way through this, keep making progress, maybe even find ways to speed it up a bit. It does take patience, analysis, experimentation, and persistence though. Very worth the outcome, though, IME!

Best wishes!