this is random but really felt like writing this right now..

Options
I had a pumpkin muffin from panera sitting on my table while studying...looked up the calories on here and it said more than 500 cals i only had 410 left I really wanted it but I was not hungry so I took it to the kitchen and hid it in the cabinet...out of sight out of mind. that was really hard. if anyone is reading this and struggling with wanting to eat everything in sight IT IS NOT WORTH IT. that food will make you happy for about 2 minutes then you will just want more because that emptiness you are trying to fill is not going to be filled with food. if this doesn't apply to you sorry that you have to be bothered with this message I just hope it helps someone because I have been struggling so much with eating everything this past week. but today I refuse to fall victim to that worthless piece of food...and you should just ignore the temptation! you can do it!!!

Replies

• curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Changing ingrained behaviors is definitely hard, but the more you consciously override poor choices, the easier it gets!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    nice little motivation :-) I like having either just a piece of it or drinking a bottle of water will sometimes stop the craving. You are so right that it will only make you feel good for a short amount of time :-)
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am very much in the same boat and just today I have decided to take back my diet!! Thanks this really did help!
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    That's like "hiding"money in your wallet, you still know it's there, and WHERE. Eat part of it if you want some, freeze the rest or share, depriving yourself doesn't make sense,
  • Rozzymoo
    Options
    Great post. I also find that when I tempted to eat something that I shouldn't - looking up the calorie content will often be enough to put me off. Alternatively, if I just have to have the naughty stuff, I work the rest of my calories around it so that I don't go over my daily allowance. It takes discipline but I'd rather do that than beat myself up about it afterwards.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    This is the reason why I am not on a diet, but a lifestyle change with different behavior. A great example - thank you for sharing!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Looking up the calories is essential!!! Good for you!!!!
  • blessedmom3x
    blessedmom3x Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is great and so true! I have found myself in this very same position.
  • Bevbu
    Bevbu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you,you have just saved me from a box of ferrari roche chocs in my cupboard.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this sort of thing all the time. At work, they always have free food that I know I shouldn't touch (pizza, chinese, subs, etc). For me, the way I say no at work is I put the item side by side in my head with one of the reasons I want to be healthy. I put the pizza side by side with the thought of watching my kids graduate school, or being around when they get married, and I make myself choose. It's a pretty easy decision then, even if walking away from the pizza isn't. I know that one piece of pizza isn't *really* the difference between me being there for my kid's wedding or not, but I also know that once I have one piece, I'll probably have another (and I'll do the same thing the next day)...and that over time might be the difference.

At home, I try not to bring the treats into the house. I do have "cheat" food, or "treats" I know aren't good for me on a regular basis, but I only eat them when I'm out at other people's homes, restaurants or stores. At home, my snack/food choices are pretty much healthy and healthier. It's hard to choice chips or cake, if it's not in the house.

I heard a saying once that I think has some truth to it..."nothing tastes as good as healthy feels" (I think the original saying was "skinny", but I have no desire to get skinny, so I'll go with healthy).

Great work on making a healthy decision!
  • Kambriasgranny
    Options
    I can totally relate to your situation. I have been trying to keep unhealthy snacks out of the house for that reason....if it is there, I WILL eat it....it makes me feel terrible that I do not have better self control than that!!! Looking up the calorie and nutrient info BEFORE you eat something is a great tool! I do that if I want soemthing that i know I shouldn't have or when I am haing lunch out with the girls. I check the menu and nutritional info first and decide what I can have that day.....this is a lifestyle change for sure!
    Good Luck :glasses:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I had a pumpkin muffin from panera sitting on my table while studying...looked up the calories on here and it said more than 500 cals i only had 410 left I really wanted it but I was not hungry so I took it to the kitchen and hid it in the cabinet...out of sight out of mind. that was really hard. if anyone is reading this and struggling with wanting to eat everything in sight IT IS NOT WORTH IT. that food will make you happy for about 2 minutes then you will just want more because that emptiness you are trying to fill is not going to be filled with food. if this doesn't apply to you sorry that you have to be bothered with this message I just hope it helps someone because I have been struggling so much with eating everything this past week. but today I refuse to fall victim to that worthless piece of food...and you should just ignore the temptation! you can do it!!!

thanks for the message....and YOU can do this:flowerforyou:
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    That's like "hiding"money in your wallet, you still know it's there, and WHERE. Eat part of it if you want some, freeze the rest or share, depriving yourself doesn't make sense,

reply to that:
    I would totally eat a little bite but I don't have the self control to stop once I have a taste....I know that sounds terrible but that's just the way I am so either avoid it or give it away. hopefully one of my roommate's will want it
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It takes a LONG time and a lot of will power to turn it down after a taste, one day you wil be there! it's not an everyday willpower but it will just "happen" that you will have that will power to have a bite on most days! I never could have 5 potato chips (50ish cals) but after work i need just a lil bit before i jog and Ive gotten to the point that i can have 5 chips or a bite of a cookie, etc, you WILL get there, I never woud believe i'd be there so I know everyone can get there!!!!