Senior Workouts

Options
I am a 69 yo female with health challenges and physical limitations.....it would be nice to have Senior Workouts posted on your site. I am looking for senior balance strengthening and core workouts that can be done in a sitting position. They are becoming popular on YouTube such as "ElderGym" but I want them to be linked to myfitnesspal. Please help!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    I think you want to log it? Is that the issue?

All exercises in the database are entered by users. So if you don't find a particular exercise routine, use "calisthenics" or "aerobics" or even "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)"...

Or you can enter your own new exercise here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/mine
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I'm a senior (69) and can do "almost" any exercises that anyone else can do and so can you OP w/in the limits of your physical and medical limitations.

The main thing that I have learned as a male "senior" (women probably don't have this "problem" as much) is to "leave your ego at the door."

You do NOT need to be the fastest or lift the heaviest wt to gain strength and enhance your level of fitness. In fact, if you try to do too much, it is most likely to lead to an injury, which as a senior is best avoided.

Just do what you can do, do it to the best of your ability and you should see positive results. No one can ask for any more of you, including yourself.

Good luck!
  • Seagirlrun
    Seagirlrun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am looking for senior or mobility challenged workouts and there seem to be none on here that I can find, sadly. If you are able, try Youtube on your tv! They have routines for us that involve sitting in a chair! Good luck!
  • sirak98
    sirak98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm barely a senior- just six months shy of 60. I was trucking along one day and went to do a burpee and felt a pain in my foot. I have a stress fracture in my foot. I can walk-but after several days of 10k steps I knew I would have to change my routine ALOT.
    So I am going to do rubber band fitness, which is alien. I did some ages ago more as an aside to lifting when I did not have a full gym. I like cardio- but can't do the moves- for now.
    It's hard because I am learning something new. I encourage others to try and modify. Chair yoga is a real thing as my 85 year old Dad participates in it at a senior center. Check out rubber band fitness. I am trying to work with some of the stuff on Youtube- but they move really fast through some of the moves. They go from the floor to standing alot- so I continue what I am doing while just watching the video. It is a learning curve.
    I'm never going to have sexy arms at sixty, but I can pick up that big water bottle and put it on the stand.
  • KerryBSoCal
    KerryBSoCal Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Try Senior Fitness with Meredith on You Tube. She has many levels of exercises to choose from