losing 110 lbs mind set needed

Options
I am Kim. 68 yrs old overweight for 30 of those at least. looking to be reasonable with exercise and food intake. I get discouraged easily so I remain fat. Any recommendations?

Replies

• 444chubbybunny
    444chubbybunny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    drink more water. And keep things u will overeat out of the house for now.
    You can always buy them later when u have more control. Start doing 10 minute workouts. Start with 5 minutes and just keep continuing! Find a veggie u really like eat it as much as u can raw tho. Or in the air fryer or boiled . Find contentment in thinking that u get to feed ur body foods that are good for you
    Hope this helps
  • zgorleku20
    zgorleku20 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink at least half a gallon of water a day. Substitute unhealthy snacks like chips, cookies, candies with healthy fruits and veggies, for example eat a cup of grapes instead of a bag of chips. Also, skinny popcorn will do. And again….water, water, water!!! Make sure you walk at least 5000 steps a day. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,889 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kim! I'm 67 now, but started out here at age 59 at about the point you're at now: Had been overweight/obese for around 30 years.

The direct determinant of body weight is calorie intake. If we eat a moderate amount fewer calories than we burn, we'll lose weight.

Most people burn the largest fraction of their calories just being alive: That's basal metabolic rate (BMR) or resting metabolic rate (RMR). Second greatest calorie burner for most of us is our daily life: Job, home chores, non-exercise hobbies, and that sort of thing. For most typical folks, even those who exercise regularly, exercise comes in 3rd. Exercise does burn calories, and is positive for health, but many people expect too much of it on the weight loss front.

Getting the eating side of the equation right is the major thing for most people. Logging your food here will be a help, IME: If you log honestly and carefully, you'll see which foods are "costing" you a lot of calories, but that aren't that important to you to feel full, get good nutrition, be happy with your eating routine, etc. Those are your easy things to reduce or eliminate in order to reach a sensible calorie level.

Here's the thing about being easily discouraged: For those of us with a meaningful total amount of weight to lose, it's just not going to be a quick project with an end date, after which things go back to normal. Even if one loses weight fast, it's going to be many weeks to many months, maybe even a small number of years. That puts a premium on finding relatively easy tactics we can stick with long enough to reach goal weight.

Implication: Slow loss we can stick with may get us to goal weight in less calendar time than fast loss that involves deprivation-triggered bouts of overeating, breaks in the action, maybe even giving up altogether. Extreme restrictive eating rules, punitively intense or exhausting exercise: Those can be counterproductive.

Slow loss does take longer to show up on the scale, though. Can I suggest that you think in terms of the process being your goal, i.e., things like finding your sustainable calorie level, logging your food, figuring out changes in eating that keep you full at lower calories, etc.? If the process is right, the weight loss will come along, but it may not have a fixed schedule.

By contrast, expecting big results fast is kind of a recipe for discouragement, IMO.

For me, starting just over the line into class 1 obese at age 59, with therefore only 50-some pounds to lose, it took a bit under a year to reach goal weight (though I was in the healthy range a little earlier).

I'm not saying this will work for you, but it helped me to focus on making changes in my routine eating and activity habits that I could visualize continuing forever . . . because maintaining a healthy weight is a forever endeavor. I didn't do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing to continue forever, except for the sensibly moderate calorie deficit. Exactly what those habits are will differ from one person to the next, because we're all individuals with different preferences, strengths, challenges and lifestyles. It was kind of like a fun, productive science-fair project for grown-ups, finding a formula that worked for me.

I've stayed in a healthy weight range since for 7+ years after that previous 30ish years of being overweight, so that's what worked for me. YMMV.

No matter what route you choose, I'm cheering for you to succeed. The results in improved quality of life are worth it!