Weighted blankets

Options
Have any of you with sleep anxieties or sleeping issues tried a weighted blanket? I recently purchased a 20lb weighted blanket from Amazon and I can’t believe what a difference it has made in my tossing and turning. If you are a smaller woman I wouldn’t advise a 20lb blanket, maybe a 10 or 15

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I love my weighted blankets! I have them in winter weight and summer weight so I can use it year round.
  • LarryLorenz
    LarryLorenz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I love my weighted blankets! I have them in winter weight and summer weight so I can use it year round.

Question for ya. How do you wash them?
  • COGypsy
    Options
    In the washing machine and then I just spread them out over an armchair to dry.
  • LarryLorenz
    LarryLorenz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In the washing machine and then I just spread them out over an armchair to dry.

I thought they couldn’t go in a washing machine due to the weight and beads inside of them

• COGypsy
    Options
    I just put it on the gentle cycle and haven't had any problems. On mine, the beads are contained in little quilted squares, so it would be pretty unlikely that they would tear, and if it did, it would likely just be one little square. I definitely don't wash it on anything like the bulky setting I use for other blankets and towels and stuff.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My husband loves ours. I tolerate it because it makes such a difference to him. I'm glad to know it can be washed in the machine.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say -- for those who feel they can't do weighted blankets bc the weight is evenly distributed or they have a partner that doesn't like it but they still need some of that deep pressure....

They DO make weighted stuffed animals that can be appropriate for adults. Kids ones are easy to find but they aren't that heavy. They are pricey, but weighted blankets are as well.

Search for them, if you think this might be better or doable - if the weighted blanket doesn't work for whatever reason.

I personally feel like I'm being strangled under a weighted blanket since the weight is distributed and it just ends up making me feel...trapped. However, after a friends very obese cat decided to pop a squat on my chest one night I realized that I'm great with the weight/deep pressure, I just need it to be localized, not distributed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my weighted blanket! I've been meaning to get a duvet cover for mine.
    I just put it on the gentle cycle and haven't had any problems. On mine, the beads are contained in little quilted squares, so it would be pretty unlikely that they would tear, and if it did, it would likely just be one little square. I definitely don't wash it on anything like the bulky setting I use for other blankets and towels and stuff.

@COGypsy thanks for this! The Sleep Foundation agrees with you:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/best-weighted-blankets/how-to-wash-a-weighted-blanket
  • COGypsy
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/best-weighted-blankets/how-to-wash-a-weighted-blanket

I admit, I was a little concerned about a gazillion tiny glass beads in my washing machine! However, my dog yarked on my blanket, so I was suddenly very motivated to take the chance!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I tried one a couple of nights but felt very claustrophobic, like I was being held down, and it triggered flashbacks and nightmares and made me anxious.

I have PTSD from childhood sexual abuse, which more frequently occurred at night, so I guess the feeling of being constricted just stirred up old fears of a nighttime intruder. IDK but I ditched that thing with a quickness.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I tried one a couple of nights but felt very claustrophobic, like I was being held down, and it triggered flashbacks and nightmares and made me anxious.

I have PTSD from childhood sexual abuse, which more frequently occurred at night, so I guess the feeling of being constricted just stirred up old fears of a nighttime intruder. IDK but I ditched that thing with a quickness.

Yeah, my brother didn't like his, quite possibly also related to trauma.

I hope you're doing ok now.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I admit, I was a little concerned about a gazillion tiny glass beads in my washing machine! However, my dog yarked on my blanket, so I was suddenly very motivated to take the chance!

:lol:

I have the many individual squares as well. I took advantage of the heatwave we're having here in the US North East, washed it on gentle, and dried it over chairs on the patio. I wiped down the chairs first. So great to have it nice and clean again! It's supposed to be in between the sheet and my quilt, but creeps out and gets under my face, which clearly should be washed before I go to bed :lol: (In my defense, it took a very long time to get noticeably dirty.)

Oh, that reminds me, I meant to wash pillows and dry them outside too...