Motivation in winter

Options
Does anyone have any tips on getting motivated for early morning runs when it’s so cold? It was 1° here on Tuesday and it’s so hard to get up and out of the house!! 🥶

Replies

• knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to listen to a podcast with someone who has done something amazing physically (summited Everest, hiked across Antarctica unsupported, multiple ultramarathons)--it puts my relatively short and only mildly uncomfortable run in perspective. Rich Roll's podcast is great for finding interviews with incredible athletes pushing the boundaries of endurance (mental and physical).

I also used to keep a spreadsheet of each run - weather conditions, what I wore, how I felt before and after. It showed me that despite how I felt about a cold-weather run in the beginning (trepidatious), I ended up usually too warm by the end and pretty happy. Having a record of my own experiences was pretty convincing and helped me improve my clothes strategies for these runs (I tend to feel super cold at the beginning, then way overheated by the end, so I really need fewer layers than I think, and past me is the best authority on that). And while I was keeping it, gathering the data and experimenting with gear was motivation itself.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running around the freezing mark has always been my favourite. The heat and humidity in summer kill me. The coldest I’ve ever run in was around me -36 which, if your dressed properly, isn’t that bad.

I guess it all comes down to how important your runs are. If you’re not a cold weather fan there’s no shame in running on a treadmill.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I always loved running with my GSD at 4am in the winter (as long as I didn’t have snow to shovel :) Once i figured out the clothing layers, which were less than I thought, the beauty of winter running kept me at it. Clear crisp skies make for awesome star gazing. Listening to the owls talking is music for my soul. Ice crystals glimmering, foot falls crunching, the stillness of the night, all became good reasons to pull on my insulated tights and lace up my trainers!