Back to tracking

Options
I'm back on myfitnesspal to track my foods. It's working well so far. One thing I'm confused about is......I'm doing a 1500 cal diet...1500 cals is my BMR......when I workout am I supposed to eat those calories or just stick with my 1500 for the day? Trying to find the answer and I'm not having any luck. Any input would help! :smile:

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think most people eat back what they burn so you don't go into starvation mode and hold onto your weight. I know I eat mine!
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I eat mine because if I didn't I would be below 1200 Cals a day (starvation mode)
  • deex18
    deex18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    most people tel u to eat ur excercise calories.... as u lose weight and ur calorie intake goes down ul need to eat them..... im no expert stil learning myself.... some days i feel i need to eat my exeercise calories as some days after my running i know ive burnt loads and feel more hungry other days i dont.... some people dont eat their exercise calories and lose weigh quicker... yet some people dont eat their exercise calories and then dont lost weight because their body goes into starvation mode and holds onto the weight they have....
    im not expert at a but that kinda what ive learnt here....
    i kinda just watch my food and if im hungry i eat them.....
    hope that helps!! also feel free to add.. also just a newbie myself so i wouldnt take my post as gospel!
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have noticed it to be a source of great debate on hear. Some people eat back their calories and some don't. I would say do what you need to do. If you aren't hungry don't eat. If you are then eat the calories. Remember that you get alot more food for the calories if you eat fruits and veggies. They fill you up for less calories.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Eat them if your hungry if not you don't have too!
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    I definitely eat back most or all of my exercise calories. I find that if I don't make that decision early enough to choose a healthy meal to fill those calories, I'm more prone to the night-junk snacking.

And welcome back!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What is your goal -- to maintain or lose weight? How much weight are you looking to lose? If you're BMR is 1500, and you're eating 1500 -- you're going to maintain your weight -- exercise excluded. Any exercise you do will BURN calories. I wouldn't NET under 1200 in a day. So if you're eating 1500, burning 500 through exercise, you should eat around 200 more calories.

1500+200=1700 eaten
    - 500 burned through exercise
    1200 net

That means you're net burning 300 calories a day, or around 2100 calories a week for a 0.6 lb/week loss.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Eat them, keep your body full of fuel and ready for your next workout.