Sore triceps

Options
I'm back in the gym after a few weeks off.

After a good chest and shoulder workout I have found my triceps quite sore. Not a bad sore, it's as if they went through a good work out themselves. Question is, is it from poor form on my chest exercises? I did flat dumbbell press and inclined dumbbell press. Or, our my triceps that much out of shape and are engaged enough in the chest exercises they are now sore.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    when you do any press exercise (chest or shoulder) the triceps are a secondary muscle group that gets hit. The more narrow your grip is the more work the triceps get.

This is the same with your biceps when you do back exercises.

Push exercises work, chest, shoulders and triceps, while pulling exercises works the back and biceps.
  • ruledbyreason
    Options
    You get a lot of the push for most chest exercise from your triceps. Probably just got a good workout in and they're a little underworked. I started making myself do push-ups all the time and my upper arms were angrier about it than my chest. As long as it's regular soreness, you should be good to go.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm back in the gym after a few weeks off.

After a good chest and shoulder workout I have found my triceps quite sore. Not a bad sore, it's as if they went through a good work out themselves. Question is, is it from poor form on my chest exercises? I did flat dumbbell press and inclined dumbbell press. Or, our my triceps that much out of shape and are engaged enough in the chest exercises they are now sore.

I wouldn't necessarily say your triceps are out of shape or that you are using poor form. The tricep area will get engaged in both of those exercises that you mentioned.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When you get your workout schedule going make sure to include chest and and tricep excercises on the same day since both muscle groups work together. Same for back and biceps.
  • gmckay27
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Makes sense.
  • gmckay27
    Options
    When is it best to do shoulders?
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Shoulders back and biceps on one day. Seems to make the most sence to me.