Cereal? Types? Help?!

Options
I really love eating cereal in the morning but I'm really bored with Special K and Cheerios. Any other good cereals that are really low in sugar but tasty? I'd like to be able to have something in the evening but am usually already too close to how much sugar I can have for the day and the cereals I'm eating now would put me over. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!

Replies

• Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Try making your own porridge rather than cereal. Also the sugar level on here is a bit too low. x
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    My favorite brands are Cascadian Farm and Kashi; these are organic and have no high fructose corn syrup! I love cinnamon crunch and chocolate o's :)
  • martina123321
    Options
    weetabix, shredded wheat, fruit n fibre
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Fiber One or any other fiber cereal is great to have! I am also a fan of Cheerios wih the cinnamon stuff. Yum. Very filling too.
  • mmelledge
    Options
    I found this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56069&page=2

Hopefully it's helpful for you.
  • saraann752003
    Options
    I often do rice krispies with a banana and a bit of sprinkled splenda... or I mix some shredded mini- wheat with my sugar choice (coco pebbles, cin toast crunch etc)....
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I like Crispix, though I do like to put 1 packet of splenda on it.
  • ashlenz
    ashlenz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Honey Bunches of Oats? I'm not sure how many calories they have. But they are sure delicious :)
  • mmelledge
    Options
    Also, I love love love eating instant apples & cinnamon oatmeal (especially once the weather gets colder). I find it keeps me full longer than a lot of breakfast choices.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    @ Telio - the FDA recommends 20 g of sugar per day for an adult. Virtually ALL Americans eat 3 or 4 times the recommended amt.
    I eat oatmeal at least twice a week with stevia for sweetness - surprisingly, cinnamon toast crunch is one of my favorites and not as high in sugar as most - I'm still reading labels on this too
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Kashi go lean (regular - not the crunch stuff) is what I eat. It has 140 calories (in a whole cup!), 1 gram fat, 10 grams fiber, 13 grams protein (my favorite part besides the low cals) and only 6 grams of sugar. I'm sure there are others that aren't carried in our grocery stores, but this is by far the best one I've found.
  • idlose
    Options
    we use the Kashi Go Lean Crisp Toasted Berry Crumble...it is so good and pretty filling. only 180 cal for a serving, but so good.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Kashi Vive Toasted Graham and Vanilla 8g sugar

Natures Path Heritage Heirloom Multigrain 6g sugar

Fiber One Raisin Clusters 13g

All bran 12g

Shreded Wheat. 0g

Those are the lameys ^^

The good stuff:

Apple Jacks 12g sugar
    Cookie Crisp 15g sugar
    HoneyComb 12g
    Honey Nut Cheerios 12g
    Fruit Loops 12 g

Assuming 12g fits into your intake, thatll work

Or get crazy and start makin steel cut oats. Pretty hearty meal..add some PB, berries or choclate whey (or cocoa + sweetner)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My favorite brands are Cascadian Farm and Kashi; these are organic and have no high fructose corn syrup! I love cinnamon crunch and chocolate o's :)

Careful -- Kashi has a lot of good stuff, but it isn't organic.

If you live near a Trader Joe's, they have a lot of delicious cereal options. I also like Barbara's and, if you really want to go hardcore healthy, Ezekiel.
  • alohabrie
    Options
    Totally Fiber 1 - Honey Clusters. More fiber and better ratios than most cereals out there - and it is really good. Add skim milk and fresh berries. :smile:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My favorite low sugar cereal is Uncle Sam . . .but good luck finding it.
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ok, This may sound strange, but I love Frankenberry. It's 130 calories for a full cup and only has 10 grams of sugar. That may seem like a lot but its actually quite low in regards to other sugary cereals. I also like the fiber one honey squares...they are really tasty with only 80 calories for 3/4 cup and only has three grams of sugar. Good Luck!!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have fallen totally addicted to Frosted Mini Wheats Little Bites Chocolate. Sometimes I find it hard to come across depending on stores and area. Its has 12g of sugar per serving which is 52 biscuits, which is a plenty for me anyway, and 200 calories. I don't eat any other cereal anymore since finding this one.
  • saraann752003
    Options
    Ok, This may sound strange, but I love Frankenberry. It's 130 calories for a full cup and only has 10 grams of sugar. That may seem like a lot but its actually quite low in regards to other sugary cereals. I also like the fiber one honey squares...they are really tasty with only 80 calories for 3/4 cup and only has three grams of sugar. Good Luck!!

Do they still sell that, I haven't seen it in the stores in FOREVER!!!!! I love me some Frankenberry!!!!
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean (original) is seriously the healthiest cereal out there. Add in a little light vanilla soymilk and some cinnamon to spice it up if it's lacking in the taste department to you. I think it tastes great, but others don't--but it is literally so good for you. A whole cup for 140 cals, plus loads of protein and fiber to keep you full!