How do you stop binge?

Options
Last night there was a party. I was really good but after everyone left, I popped a little popcorn just to stave off some hunger and it lead to popping a whole bunch more. I just couldn't stop! Granted it wasn't too many calories because it was just popcorn but it could have been anything The point was I couldn't....or wouldn't stop. How do you break a cycle like that before it's too late? Any help, advise, suggestions should this happen again?

Replies

• healthy4self
    Options
    Eat an apple and drink lots of water right before the party. Sip water all throughout the party. Or eat mindfully during the party so you don't feel like you were jipped while everyone else enjoyed. It's all about moderation
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a real weakness for popcorn. Really can be hard to control, so if you KNOW you can't control portions on any given day, don't eat it at all, just drink something like hot tea or water. If you are feeling 'in control'--- portion it out and don't let yourself eat any more than your portion. You have to BELIEVE that you have the power, because you are the only one who actually does. Best of luck to you.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I am jumping out there, what is the reason? Did someone hurt you? Are you tired and feeling defeated? You said after everyone left,,,, Left what? How are you feeling about your life/duties/perception of how people think of you??? There is always a reason to use food. Do you feel physically or emotionally hungry? No worries, we have all been there. And there are answers to your questions. Thanks for posting. I understand.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    ditto the drinking lots of water.

Also, just fyi: depending on the popcorn, it can be catastrophic. Some has a lot of calories because they use a lot of butter and/or oil in the bag.

Today, I felt the urge to eat (even though my stomach was still VERY full from a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast), and I just grabbed a piece of gum instead. Been munching on my gum and drinking water. It's really not that I was hungry, it's just that I was feeling bored. Therefore, I gave my mouth some busy chewing to do, and it has held me over.
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    once you realise you are gonna binge on it just empty it all in the bin and chew gum....
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    haha you're just like me im munching on gum right now and drinking water, cos i know im not really hungry i just feel like eating, plus avoid buying foods like popcorn if you can I went to supermarket today saw microwave popcorn on offer buy one get on free put them in my basket got to the till realised i'll probably binge on them tonight or sometime soon so even though they were really cheap i just left them behind :)
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This is how I try to stop:
    -Drink 1L of water before eating a meal
    -Chew fruity/flavorful gum
    -Brush my teeth AS SOON as I'm done eating
    -Eat foods that you can eat a lot of but are low calorie (my latest favorite is raw spinach, turkey bacon, and fat free balsamic vinaigrette--you can eat a mountain and it's only a handful of calories) then when I do have a smidgen of something bad for me I'm not starving
    -Allow myself the foods I want--I even had coldstone the other day...
    -That being said: I log my food ahead of time, that way I'll feel bad when I have to go back and edit, and it's always good to go into a party/meal out with a plan, if there's something I want and it's out of my calorie range for the day, then I know to exercise it off at the gym!
    -Make my plate of appropriate serving sizes and then put everything else away in the fridge
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Water, fruit, etc. I take a lot of walks lately. I put my iPod in and just walk around base. Take a step back and really thing about how you feel at the time. Are you hungry? Are you lonely? Will food really help? etc...I don't even keep prepackaged food at home (okay I lied-I have a few Amy's organic burritos in the freezer). But really I keep chicken/fish in the freezer, and veggies in the fridge.

Do you cook at all? Of course I don't know your living situation-I don't have an oven and I have a roommate- but we have a small stovetop and half the fun of cooking is the food preparation.

Lastly-if it's at night maybe you could take up a hobby like knitting or something to keep you busy and your mind off food. It's hard at first to break the cycle and everyone is different. Like someone mentioned before it could be deeper psychological issues that you need to address.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am jumping out there, what is the reason? Did someone hurt you? Are you tired and feeling defeated? You said after everyone left,,,, Left what? How are you feeling about your life/duties/perception of how people think of you??? There is always a reason to use food. Do you feel physically or emotionally hungry? No worries, we have all been there. And there are answers to your questions. Thanks for posting. I understand.

This is the best advice. Binges are rarely about hunger. Even eating before hand and being full doesn't atop a binge. Binges are emotional, not physical.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. You aren't describing arriving at a party and binging (which I combat by never going out to dinner or to a party really hungry). You are describing being at a party (seems you may have been hosting) where you were making healthy choices, then, after the party was over, you fixed a snack. The snack turned into a meal bigger than you originally intended. Is that how it happened?

For me, I have to fight the compulsive behavior. I have to act with intention. If I want to eat three giant bowls of popcorn, then I need to measure out three giant bowls of popcorn and log them in my food diary, even if I go over. I have to be accountable and make sure what I eat I am CHOOSING to eat. Sounds weird, doesn't it? But when I stop - even when it's just for a moment - and make a conscious choice about what is going in my mouth, the behavior isn't compulsive, I don't trigger that addict mentality, and I can be accountable.

I went over calories last night. I had a cupcake I didn't need. It wasn't a big deal. I was offered cake, cookies and ice cream as well at different points in the evening. I ended up eating the cupcake. And it was delicious. And I logged it. And I went over calories. But I didn't just say "Yes, I'll have (first bite) a cup (second bite) cake", stuffing it in my mouth. I thought about it. Made a decision. I'm probably not doing a good job of describing the behavior and thought process. It is fairly nuanced, and those who don't battle compulsive eating might have no idea what I'm talking about. But I think it is critical to be intentional about my choices.

In other words, I don't want to find myself on the other side of a food binge saying "How did that happen?"
  • crittytn
    Options
    I also log everything, even if I'm embarrassed about it and don't want to admit I just did that. Knowing I'll have to plug into my log often helps me lessen the binge.

My main trick, though, is to not have those things in my house that I binge on. My kids love ice cream, but we don't ever have it in the house, because I eat it all (obviously, I love ice cream too). We go out for ice cream for a special treat, where I order a set amount and then it's done. I don't eat a gallon before I realize what happened. It just finishes and we go on about life. I don't keep chocolate in the house, because I eat it all. Again, if I want to treat the kids, they get individual sizes and they eat them and they're gone.

So if it's not there, I can't eat it. I'll look in the fridge on those binge nights probably no less than 20 times, but all I have are healthy-ish choices. I can either choose those things or just drink water or sometimes I grab milk.

Now, I need to apply this trick to the red wine... LOL
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. You aren't describing arriving at a party and binging (which I combat by never going out to dinner or to a party really hungry). You are describing being at a party (seems you may have been hosting) where you were making healthy choices, then, after the party was over, you fixed a snack. The snack turned into a meal bigger than you originally intended. Is that how it happened?
    Bingo, that's exactly what happened I wasn't sad, or depressed or feeling sorry for myself. I was a little wound up after hosting a party where I was pretty busy and while everyone else went to bed, I still needed to unwind. I guess in stead of sitting in front of my computer and munching, I should have gone for a walk or something or maybe had a glass of wine to get sleepy (which I have been avoiding because of calories). The point is, those trigger foods get me every time and I don't want to have to give them up completely. I did so well at the party, eating everything but modifying my portions to stay within my calories count. I wasn't feeling deprived, I actually wasn't even that hungry. It was compulsive behavior just like smoking was at one time. Ever since I quit, I have just substituted that compulsive behavior with eating. It's been two years since I quit, I should be over that stuff by now.
  • TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. Im 10x better these days (especially since I started to log everything), but I used to just have binges all the time. 3, 4, 5 packets of crisps at a time, just couldn't/wouldn't stop even though I knew it was self-destruction.

These days I try to keep only stuff in the house that won't do me too much damage - fruit, low-cal treats, etc. I work on the philosophy that if it's not in the cupboard then I cant eat it. But the craving always seems to be there for me, sometimes I win and sometimes I don't, but at least I put up a fight these days.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know there already is a lot of great advice here.

If you search, there was another thread about this. But it sounds like you are a secret eater. You waited till you could eat alone.
    I do this too. Just more willpower.

I have not tried this one yet, but supposedly eating in front of a mirror will help. Best of luck to you. Stop eating in secret, open your diary to MPF, then you can not hide.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you know, I never would have done that in front of anybody. That never even occurred to me.
  • Randynorthridge
    Options
    This is a pretty good read, which might help you understand another reason why we binge. I copied it from a site one time but can't remember where:

A key component to achieving optimal health and fat burning is stable blood sugar. Your brain can only burn glucose (blood sugar). Your brain cannot store glucose. Therefore, your brain, which controls all your body's functions, is totally dependent upon the level of glucose in your blood at any given moment. That is how critical stable blood sugar is. Ultimately, the state of your consciousness and the state of your health is literally dictated by what you eat. The key is to keep your blood sugar stable all the time.

Stable Blood Sugar? The Key to Ultimate Energy and Fat Burning!

The best source of glucose is carbohydrates. The key is how rapidly these carbohydrates enter your blood stream. If they rush in (either by eating processed carbohydrates or simply too many carbohydrates for your body), you will have excess glucose in your blood stream, causing your blood sugar to spike. In turn, your pancreas secretes insulin. Insulin is your body's most powerful storage hormone. Insulin totally blocks your body's ability to burn fat, converts all the excess blood sugar into triglycerides (blood fats), and stores these fats in your fat cells. Insulin causes your blood sugar to plummet, leaving you in a hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) state. This is a stressful state, which triggers the release of cortisol, a very destructive hormone that suppresses your immune system, encourages fat storage, accelerates brain aging, and breaks down your muscles and bones.

Because your brain is totally dependent upon glucose, your brain is now starving. Everything becomes secondary to food. The most appealing food to your glucose-starved brain is sugar and other processed carbohydrates. Excess insulin causes you to store fat, become mentally unfocused, and hungry. It is not lack of will power that causes cravings and binge eating?it is your blood sugar, thrown out of balance when you eat processed carbohydrates or too many carbohydrates for your body.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Also, how about pre-prepping veggies and fruit so you can grab that as a snack when you really feel the need to eat? For me popcorn would never be a good idea. It isn't filling and unless you're eating plain-no butter, no salt it's basically useless. I like to get a lot of fruit/veggies and cut them up and put them in containers so I can just grab one to snack on sometimes.

As someone else said just don't keep the stuff around. I love healthy food and I'm finally getting into my healthful eating habits again, but if you put a bunch of useless calories in front of me I won't always say no.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Don't just make yourself a snack - especially when you're busy and won't take the time to think about what you're doing. If you want a snack, honestly take the time to think about what you want - be it popcorn or an apple or even something indulgent. Then, take a few moments to prepare it and sit down at a table and eat it thoughtfully. Think about why you're eating it while you eat it - you're hungry and need a snack so you don't eat up all of the leftovers! Relax and eat it thoughtfully, savoring every bite. Then get up and finish your task. Once you're finished, reassess - are you still hungry? If yes, make yourself a little more. The important thing is that you think about everything that passes your lips and you don't allow yourself to eat if you don't give yourself the luxury of sitting to do it.
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Binge is fun... but the feeling after it. Oh my God! Trust me, i've been binge eating A LOT lately.
    But, here's the thing...
    You want to lose weight right?
    You want to look SUPER HOT?
    You want to be confident and happy?
    It's all about what YOU want. YOU shouldn't let anything come in your way like FOOD, LAZINESS...
    So always remember, at the end avoiding those extra calories will pay off.

Then again, why did you binge? What's the reason behind it? If it had to do with your mood, then always whenever you feel down go out and walk or jump.. scream into a pillow! whatever makes you feel better.. but don't eat! Because once you get started... nothing can stop you but yourself of course.

Drink water before you eat, count to ten... think before you eat... Am I hungry? Or am I just eating to fill something else?... Ask yourself why you're doing this.

Finally, Jot down all those pounds you're losing to keep them as a motivation to stay on track! & always keep that in mind...

Hope this helps!
    Smile, forget what happened.. Focus on tomorrow!
    Resist and keep going... WE can do this :D

Have a good day.
    -N
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Pop corn low on cals.. Wow....................... xx Thanks for that, did not think about it.. and love pop corn.. xxxx