break day

Options
Do you take a day where you just eat and don't worry about the calories? Would doing that once or twice a month hurt your diet?

Replies

• eggmcg
    Options
    I do this occasionally, but try and make it just for one MEAL not the whole day and still count and log your calories, that way if your weight loss slows down or stalls at least you can look back and find the reason why... memories are tricky things.
  • idlose
    Options
    the more often you do this, the more often you will WANT to do this. personally, i would say that if if is for an occasion like a wedding or something that you have to attend and cant control the foods, then make it the one meal and still be sensible about it. keep your portion size way down too. good luck.
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    I used to have a "free day" once a week, but I found that it would often affect my eating habits for the rest of the week as well. Once or twice a month, I don't think, should make too much of a difference as long as you have the self-control to stop after that day. And if you don't mind losing a little slower which may end up being a consequence.

But I find that I like the idea of cheat meals better than cheat days. Those are easier to control and end up doing much less damage than an entire day of just...eating. And since they do less damage, they can be incorporated more often, though it's still probably a good idea not to do that more than once or twice a month.

Of course, with all of this, it really depends on the person and how much willpower they have. It will affect people in different ways and there's really no one way to answer the question on whether or not it will hurt your diet goals.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't want to have "break days" as I don't want to lose mymomentum (and hence my commitment) with my weight loss.

If I do eat more than usual, then I make sure that I do additional exercise on the day - even if it means cleaning the house before going to bed!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Do you take a day where you just eat and don't worry about the calories? Would doing that once or twice a month hurt your diet?

I dunno about taking a day to eat whatever you want, but it is a good idea to take a week and eat at maintenance level every couple of months to let your body regulate its hormone levels.
  • ncsubeachgirl
    ncsubeachgirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i have cheat days a couple times a month! I don't think you should totally deprive yourself 24\7. After long days and I'm too exhausted to care oh yea I'll stop at McDonald's on the way hone from work!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If I eat well consistently and then blow it all eating a big meal out at a restaurant or whatever then I wake up the next morning feeling terrible, guilty, and wishing I made better choices. If I do blow my calories I try to make it up through exercise the same day.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am trying a break day today actually - but I don't eat whatever I want, I just get to eat all of my calories for the day instead of eating at a deficit...so it's sort of like a cheat meal, but I'm pretty sly and can fit several little goodies into those extra 700 calories. This way I have "cheated" but it hasn't really put me back any. It sounds good in theory...I'll let you know how it goes :)
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of cheat meals, rather than cheat days! I am human!!!!
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    the more often you do this, the more often you will WANT to do this. personally, i would say that if if is for an occasion like a wedding or something that you have to attend and cant control the foods, then make it the one meal and still be sensible about it. keep your portion size way down too. good luck.

I have to agree with you on this one... Just save it for when you need to!! Make it a special day, like Christmas xx LOL xxx
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do.....every Saturday I eat what I want in the quantities I want.....and my vacations are the same I'm not a good boy when I'm on vacation.

I figure this is not a diet, this is how the rest of my life should be, and there will always be occasions where I can either be a wallflower (or stay home) or participate fully - and knowing myself I want to participate fully.

Having a "day without schedule" once a week prepares me mentally for this and trains me to go back to being "good" when I've been bad without beating myself up.

Has my weight loss been slower because of this - maybe, but I've still lost about a pound pr. week which is my goal.

Incidentally I've just been away on vacation for a week - I didn't monitor anything and didn't hold back on anything. I've gained two pounds during that week and I expect it to be gone by next "official" weigh-in.

For me a "day off" every week works and helps keep me on track and also helps me to not lose the grip on "normal" days after all. Why should I give in to temptation on an ordinary Wednesday when I can do whatever I want just 3 days later (and normally the crawing I had on said Wednesday is then gone by Saturday)
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a "treat day" every Saturday.

I think it depends where you are at with your diet. I don't go overboard, but my choices aren't that healthy. I am really good at being extremely healthy the rest of the week though, it's all about willpower I suppose.

I'm on maintenance and havent had a problem with gaining etc with these days.
  • narenn
    Options
    Break day every friday, but I do keep an eye on calorie intake... it's just too easy to double or triple what you should be consuming.