A Quiche Experiment

Options
JaenaM
JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
I'm anxiously awaiting my quiche to come out of the oven. It's a recipe I made up (although I doubt it's unprecedented) and I am REALLY hoping it turns out well. If it does, I'll post the recipe. Instead of milk and half n half I used 1 cup low fat cottage cheese and 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt for the base. I whizzed the cottage cheese in the food processor in the hopes of making the finished product creamier. If this works the way I hope, I'll have an awesome little meal at only 150 calories a slice! Wish me luck and I'll keep u posted on how it turns out :)

Replies

• elfie9863
    Options
    Yay! Ok...I would love to know how it turns out....
  • Jycooper
    Options
    I would lov to know, keep us posted.:smile:
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Let us know!
  • LaJoyT
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE quiche...... I will be waiting to see how it goes......
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Ok guys the quiche just came out and I couldn't wait 10 mins for it to cool so after 5 I cut into it. All I can say is that I'm glad my boyfriend is vegan because I wouldnt want to share ANY of it! It came out wonderfully I think. Yes it's lighter and not as rich as traditional quiche but I like the lightness and it still packed with flavor. Here is the recipe I used:

Crustless Quiche Delight

Base:
    1 c. Low fat cottage cheese (you could use non-fat if wanted to make it a little lighter), whizzed smooth in food processor
    1 c. Fage total 0% plain Greek yogurt
    4 whole eggs
    Salt to taste (I used a little more than a tsp I think)
    Pepper to taste
    Dash of nutmeg (really makes a difference!)

Mix all ingredients together to complete the quiche base. Add any combo of veggies and cheeses you like. Here's my filling:

1c. Spinach, cooked and drained well
    1 medium onion, carmalized
    4-5 cloves garlic
    1 can mushrooms pieces and stems
    4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
    2 oz Jarlsburg lite Swiss cheese
    A little salt and cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    Spray 9-inch pie dish with non-stick spray.
    Place veggies and cheeses in the bottom of the dish. Pour custard base over and work it into the veggies with your fingers, distributing it evenly thru the dish.
    Sprinkle the top with dried parsley and italian seasoning, or the herbs of your choice.
    Bake until top and sides are golden brown (took mine about an hour and a half to bake). I let it get extra-brown and it formed it's own sort crust that is delish.
    Cool 10 minutes and slice.
    Serves 8.

Nutrition per slice (with fillings listed above):
    Calories: 150
    Fat: 7.1
    Carbs: 6.2
    Protein: 15.3

I'd love to hear what you think!
  • klopiccolo1
    klopiccolo1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump..... sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it! :smile:
  • Jycooper
    Options
    Sounds great will have to try. Do u have pic?
  • memith
    Options
    Sounds delicious! I love quiche too!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,281 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying this sounds very yummy. I have a son that is Pescatarian (and he doesn't like fish too much anyway). We all like quiche but have been staying away from it since it is so rich. The veggies you added sound great too.
    Thanks.
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Ok I need to keep 1 of these in the freezer at all times... Can't stop eating it!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! My 5 yo& my baby love quiche, but I try not to make it much as the calories are so high for me (& my 7 yo won't touch it!), we'll for sure try this one!
  • JaenaM
    Options
    I bet it would b good if u made this in mini muffin tins; what a great snack to grab on the go for sustained energy. That's my next quiche project!
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sounds so so sooooo good. I like the muffin tin idea too. I might have to make some tomorrow, I'm thinking cheddar and broccoli!
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Sounds so so sooooo good. I like the muffin tin idea too. I might have to make some tomorrow, I'm thinking cheddar and broccoli!

Oh that sounds awesome... Let me know how it turns out for u or if you have any recipe notes/suggestions. Enjoy!
  • cherylaclark
    cherylaclark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,281 Member
    Options
    I made this last night. Everyone loved it. Great leftovers too. I did feel like it tasted a bit salty even though I didn't add any salt to it. Yes, I always put in nutmeg for any dish that has a custard base. Next time I think I will use part skim ricotta in place of the cottage cheese to make it taste a bit creamier and less salty. It is a great recipe. Thanks again.
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Thanks so much for that feedback KeriA... I could totally understand the salty thing; I love me some salt so I'm not surprised to hear that but salt is easy to correct. Love the ricotta idea. SO glad u enjoyed it; thanks again!
  • devoralie
    Options
    Hey all! I was looking for a low-cal quiche recipe today and was so excited to find this post.

I LOVE the OP's strategy of using greek yogurt and ricotta and egg to make the custard part instead of milk/cream etc - I think it gave this quiche a really fabulous tangy flavor that it might not have had otherwise.

Alas, I am a quiche-with-a-crust kind of girl, so my variation is more calories than the OP's - but I used a whole wheat crust, so as to add some fiber.

Anyway, here's my recipe/variant if anyone's interested - thanks for everyone's posts on this thread, so helpful!

Custard:
    1 C part skim ricotta
    1 C fage 0% greek yogurt
    4 whole eggs
    salt
    pepper
    dash nutmeg

Filling:
    3 lg crimini mushrooms, chopped
    1 leek (white/light green part only, chopped thinly)
    2-3 cups red russian kale, chopped
    2 oz Cabot clothbound cheddar (sharp white cheddar), crumbled
    garlic, 3 cloves
    dash olive oil

whole wheat crust from Whole Foods, frozen

1. Saute leek in olive oil for 1-2 mins. Add garlic. Add mushrooms and kale. Saute until the mushrooms are browning and the kale is bright green, but nothing is burning or limp. (at this time, pre-heat oven to 325 F)
    2. Transfer to bowl off the heat; set aside.
    3. Mix ricotta, yogurt, and eggs. The texture will be a little gross at first but give it some muscle and it turns into a nice fluffy, slightly goopy mixture. Add a dash of nutmeg and some salt and pepper.
    4. Add cooked veggies to the custardy mixture. Stir. Also add the crumbled white cheddar.
    5. Pour the mixture into the whole wheat pie crust. The pie crust should be full but not overflowing.
    6. Bake the quiche at 325 F for 60 minutes, give or take. You want the center to be softish but not liquid.
    7. Let the quiche cool for ~5-10 mins. It will collapse/settle slightly - this is normal.
    8. Cut into 6ths; serve.

So: for a serving that is 1/6th of the pie, the nutrition info is as follows:
    340 calories
    20 g fat
    18 g protein

If you want to do 1/8th pie servings, the nutrition info is as follows:
    255 cal
    15.1 g fat
    13.4 g protein

I hope I don't get skewered for using non-lite ingredients ;/ but I think this is healthy enough and so tasty! Next time I might use non-fat ricotta to lower the fat content.. also maybe use some lighter feta than the white cheddar. With some fruit or some steamed greens - perfect. Enjoy!!
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Excellent variation devoralie!!!