rest days!

Options
just wondering do u take rest days???
im currenty doing the couch 2 5km and am using my step machine also and am taking 2 rest days a week and not going over my calories on my rest days!!
any opinions on rest days people???

Replies

• theradiantbride
    Options
    You definitely need to let your body rest.
  • HealthyWayorNoWay
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week and I eat the same amount of calories as i would on the days i workout and I eat around the same time. When i workout i either do my workout first thing in the morning or at night so on rest days i either sleep in or go to bed early, hope that makes since
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    ive been doing C25k as well, i had been going to the gym 6 x per week doing mixture of C25k and strength as well as 30DS everynight at home....had a rest day (from gym) on sunday and my muscles have never felt so stiff and sore. I think they may have been given the chance to realise the trauma they are being put through...is it easier just not to stop??
  • HealthyWayorNoWay
    Options
    Oh and when you rest it helps for you muscles to develop
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My rest day consists of walking at least 2-4 miles. (Sun)

Otherwise im walking and doing circuit and strength training! (M- Sat)

I love to exercise and I alternate exercises which helps the muscles heal. :happy:
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    I take 1 rest day a week, and workout the other 6 consecutively. I workout hard so know that my body needs to recover in order to get results! Nice to enjoy a day off...I usually try to have it on the weekend:)
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Especially when you first start getting into a program like running, rest days are every bit as important as working out. Your lungs may be able and willing to keep going every day, but your joints, ligaments and bones need to adapt to the stress.

If you feel you need to do something on a rest day, then make it different from running. Swim, cycle or row etc...
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I take Thursday and Sundays off. I work 2 body parts every other day.

If part of my body is still sore, I'll swap that day with my day off, and get the same # of workouts in (5)

If I'm off work, I'll do 2 routines in a day, That gets me 1 day AHEAD a week.

I'm so bad.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Only do one workout a day and I rest on the Sunday. I'm planning on adding an evening work out (30DS!) in coming weeks, then I'll take a rest day or two from that on a different day.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi,

You need some rest days as this is when your body will repair and recover, you seem to be doing great keep it up,

Add me if you like

Scott
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    I usually do 1-2 rest days per week depending on how many heavy weight days I had, sometimes you just have to listen to your body. Now that I've gotten more advanced in my training, I usually do whats considered "active rest days" which is light yoga, walking, low impact barre style workouts and find that has helped a lot with keeping my joints loose, getting lactic acid out of my sore muscles, I always make my real lazy rest day the day after a heavy weight day of whichever body part is lagging in strength/definition more and let them rest up a full 24 to repair or a endurance day to let my heart/joints rest too.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sometimes on a rest day I train, but I dont train the same part of my body for more than three days in a row... If that makes sense...

Example, I went for a 9.9k walk yesterday, lunged most of it! That was my rest day xx

I have been known to do an amazon total body workout, (like combat training) Tae Kwon Do then a gym session on a cross trainer!! xx LOL love it..

But I have had days when I just totally chill, that is they only time I can rest totally... Like going to a spa LOL xx
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I rest for one day a week, and rearly train more then four days in a row, always for one hour. Im doing 6 week 6 pack combined with Ripped and Killer buns.
  • deex18
    deex18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    also feel free to add me if anyone wants to!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In this journey, I have learned that rest days are vital to your body's well being. It's great to be so motivated that you want to workout everyday - but honestly, our bodies NEED the rest. When we rest - they recover from what we've put them through and they are able to repair themselves. Some people say that working different areas of the body means you can go ahead and workout every single day, but for me... that didn't work. My body NEEDS the rest days. You don't want to end up with an injury from overtraining.
  • chicainthesd
    chicainthesd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i wish i worked out more :( i only work out like 2 to 3 days a week, my husband works and i have to watch my kids all day, i have no time for the gym or for myself.... But i always make sure that im always under my cals for the day... am i doing wrong by resting too much?
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    chicainthesd:
    I don't think you're doing it wrong unless you're gaining or stagnating.
    I'm saying this as someone who's only learnt this recently (Mum of 2 pre-schoolers who works outside of home and isn't home from 7.30 - 5.00) but you need to make time for yourself. I don't have the time or money to go to a gym, so I set my alarm for 5am and duck out before the kids wake up and take a run around the neighbourhood.. not only does it help with exercising etc, but.. oh lord, it's so great to be out of the house without a 2 year old asking me for milk or whatever and a 5 year old not whining every 3 seconds about the latest complex problem in his life.
    In fact i don't need to think about them! When I run, I just think about breathing and think about the music on my iPod.. I get home before 6, just as they wake up, then get ready for the day. :)

As a mum we NEED to look after ourselves and put ourselves first - even if it is at 5am as the sun rises.