Exercise recommendations for POTS

Options
Hello, I have POTS and currently taking a beta blocker. I was bed ridden for a month then barely active for another month. During that time i put on 20lbs. Not until recently I've gotten the strength to move around again. I've been walking for 2 hours a day within a calorie deficit but I'm not seeing any results. My diet is pretty clean. I'd like to do more but I'm scared of doing high impact exercises. Never been on beta blockers before and just lifting my arms causes my heart rate to spike a bit. I'm definitely scared but if any other potsies work out, I'd love to hear what you do and what's your heart rate during it, and do you take any beta blockers?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, sorry you are dealing with POTS. My wife has been dealing with it for 11 years. Second, there is a lot of variability in POTS patience. I will cover a lot because it's not simply just exercise.

Nutrition:
    First, to support exercise, you need to ensure your diet is very high in sodium. Like salt bacon levels 😂. Im general, you should be over 5000mg. Also consume high amounts of potassium. Second, do not consume a lot of plain water. My wife's electrophysiologist recommends only 1 -8oz glass daily with all other fluids to be electrolyte drinks. I highly recommend Gatorade Zero or what is even better, is Kaged Muscle Hydra Charge. Both are 5 calories and one of the better electrolyte drinks. Make sure you consume one of these pre-workout (~30 minutes prior).

Exercise:
    This is anecdotal but I will not that my wife's electrophysiologist is amazed by her progress. My wife lifts, particularly, she powerlifts. Now, I do train her, and we have some limitations. She does not do any exercises that require her to lay flat. She wears a HRM and waits longer between sets (3-5 mins) and listen to her body. Some days we get thru one move and stop. Others, we get a full workout.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/muscle-and-strength-womens-workout

This is what she is doing but slightly modified.

Now, saying that, I generally recommend focusing on machines to start because of safety. I would also recommend a friend if possible so they can watch you. Also, start slow.

Why I recommend/we have seen the best results with legs? Because it pushes the blood volume. I believe this is what has improved my wife's condition the most. She does still struggle with DL but is slowly improving. Those take extra long breaks (5-7 minutes) in between.

What you can do is things like incline dumbbell bench, DB row, Hip thrust, DB RDL, leg press, and cable and/or machines. Depends on what your gym has.

And in general, if you can adf walking, that would be great.

There is some benefits to compression stockings but my wife can't due to texture issues.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have additional questions.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    bloochu wrote: »
    Hello, I have POTS and currently taking a beta blocker. I was bed ridden for a month then barely active for another month. During that time i put on 20lbs. Not until recently I've gotten the strength to move around again. I've been walking for 2 hours a day within a calorie deficit but I'm not seeing any results. My diet is pretty clean. I'd like to do more but I'm scared of doing high impact exercises. Never been on beta blockers before and just lifting my arms causes my heart rate to spike a bit. I'm definitely scared but if any other potsies work out, I'd love to hear what you do and what's your heart rate during it, and do you take any beta blockers?

When did you start walking 2 hours per day? That's plenty of cardio. Are you sore?

High impact is not necessary for weight loss. I haven't done high impact since I got out of the military and no one could force me to run anymore. :lol:

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg