Out of luck

Options
I keep getting stuck 206 207 there's 4 days straight that 206 I can't even get past to 205
I do exercise water
Keep up with my calorie deficit
Help
I times I want to give seeing 206 4 times in a row

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Me too. My weight has been LOCKED with one pound for about three months!

When I finally make it to goal weight I sure now how to keep it steady, right?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    May I suggest not focusing on the daily weight. Log it you want, but only look at a weekly average. If it hasn't budged in a few weeks, time to reassess then, not after four days. Anything could impact that in such a short time span: more water retention from working out, from more carbs or salt, stress, your period if applicable, etc.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is already pretty aggressive in terms of loss rate.

Give it more time. Don’t quit.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You are too hyper focused on your daily weight. It’s no big deal to weigh the same thing for 4 days, perhaps even 2 weeks, even if the “math” in your counting suggests it should be otherwise. I weigh myself twice a month.
  • flower3326
    flower3326 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    May I suggest not focusing on the daily weight. Log it you want, but only look at a weekly average. If it hasn't budged in a few weeks, time to reassess then, not after four days. Anything could impact that in such a short time span: more water retention from working out, from more carbs or salt, stress, your period if applicable, etc.

Yeah your right i thing sometimes it's is salt or stress
    If it's the same number daily do I just play around with food and see if that's the problem

A month ago I would eat the same thing for a month it worked. This time I wanted to try New taste.
  • ehelmsnc
    ehelmsnc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had plateaus for weeks at a time then a “ flush” of loss occurs all at once. Like a 2 pound difference overnight. Some have said this is water that is retained and then released. A trick I’ve heard helps with plateaus is to invert meals. So, eat what you would normally eat for dinner at breakfast time and eat your breakfast at dinner time( reduced calories of course). After a few days this seems to jumpstart or reset something. Good luck!
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It might be salt or stress, but even more likely it’s not anything at all. We don’t lose at a programmed rate of 4 ounces per day or anything like that. It’s a natural process.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    flower3326 wrote: »

Yeah your right i thing sometimes it's is salt or stress
    If it's the same number daily do I just play around with food and see if that's the problem

A month ago I would eat the same thing for a month it worked. This time I wanted to try New taste.

It can be salt, stress, or any of dozens of other things.

This is a good read, especially the article linked in the first post of the thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

There's a sense in which our brains and bodies resist change (a.k.a. seek homeostasis). "I want to give seeing 206 4 times in a row" is one of those brain/body tricks that resists change.

Fat loss is a slow thing, even at a fast rate. Losing a couple of pounds a week consistently is around 4.5 ounces of fat loss daily on average. Water weight fluctuates by up to several pounds a day for various reasons (read the article!).

On different days we have different amounts of undigested food in our digestive tract that will eventually become waste. An apple that weighs 150 grams in my hand weighs 150 grams in my stomach until digested/metabolized, even though it can only turn into about two one-hundredths (0,02) of a pound of fat (and that only if I'm eating in a calorie surplus). A glass of water has zero calories, but weighs around half a pound until we sweat or urinate or breath it out.

Realistically, in that context, fat loss will show up on the body weight scale in weight trends over more like 4-6 weeks. A few days is just a random mind F*.

You don't need to "play around with food". One day's weight isn't really a reflection of what you ate or exercised the day (or few) before. It's a sort of a moving biological average of everything you did for maybe a week or so beforehand, including random stuff like having a respiratory allergy flare (water weight) or working out so needing muscle repair (water weight), etc.

Better idea: Adopt a regimen of eating, exercise, and calorie logging that's realistic. Follow that closely for 4-6 weeks. At the end of that time, calculate your average weight change. Use that to adjust your calorie goal going forward, with the assumption that 500 calories daily is a pound a week (do arithmetic for fractions). If you're female and of relevant age, compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two different monthly cycles.

Anything else, IME, is just over-reacting to random fluctuations.

Take a deep breath. You can do this. I'm cheering for you.

P.S. You don't have to eat the same foods all the time. For weight loss, it's the calories in the foods that matter directly. Food choice may affect the water weight. Food choice may affect appetite (making it hard or easy to stick to a calorie goal). Food choice can affect energy level (so trigger fatigue that reduces daily life calorie burn because we rest more). The direct mechanism for fat loss is still calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Try changing the battery in your scale. Mine reads the same for days in a row when the battery is failing. Even just pulling the existing battery out and putting it back in will reset the scale.