Does anything work when you’re ove 60?

Options
Hi all, I’m new to this discussion but I’ve been using my fitness pal for years. Since April I’ve been sticking to 1300 calories, I start eating at 10:30/11:00 am and stop any eating by 7:00pm. I drink tons of water, no sweets, no processed foods try to get in 10,000 steps a day and I’ve lost a total of 5 lbs. one of which I keep gaining and losing the same pound! I don’t want to go on any of the popular drugs but I want to lose more for all this effort! I’ve heard so many glowing testimonials about intermittent fasting but I wonder if it’s helping at all. I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Replies

• OldLadySoul
    OldLadySoul Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm over 60 (considerably). I wouldn't say I've been a yo-yo dieter, but I have needed to diet several times over the years when I went off the wagon and weight creeped up. I've counted calories for over 20 years.

I try to not allow myself to get more than 10 pounds over my goal because then it takes me a long time to lose it because I'm not willing to cut calories down to ridiculously low.

My current weightloss diet on myfitnesspal started the same time as yours. April. I had a good start because I became ill on March 30 and wasn't able to eat much for 2-3 days. That got me motivated.

I'm eating about 1300 calories a day (like you). I don't exercise much, but I walk actively for 30-40 minutes on fields which burns about 83 calories (according to fitness pal). So my 'net' calories is about 1217. Frankly, I'm very hunger and unsatisfied at 1300 calories. I have lost about 7 pounds in those 3 months. The first few came off rather quickly, but I've now been sitting at the same number for about a month. I'd say that is pretty similar to your situation?

As you know, every person is different. I don't care about carbs or processed foods. I track calories,
    sodium (to keep down blood pressure), saturated fats (my heart) and iron (I'm almost anemic). I also eat pretty much the same foods over and over again, and that doesn't bother me.

You seem to be doing everything right. Maybe you just need to be more patient? Also, make sure that you are really counting the calories correctly. Weighing, measuring, etc. As you may know, the food list on this program really varies insofar as calories go, so you have to be careful about that.
  • gmuccari
    gmuccari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. You are right, we sound like we are in the same boat so to speak lol. I’m frustrated because I feel like I’m not losing as I should for all of the effort that I’m putting in. I gave up desserts which I really miss, I rarely eat out which I enjoy and I track every bite! You are right that the calorie counts listed vary quite a bit , I try to gauge which one is closest to what I actually ate. I know that you can eat anything as long as you stay within your calorie range but sweets are addictive for me so it’s easier for now to refrain than to awaken the cravings. I wish I could hear if anyone has had luck with intermittent fasting, it helps me stay within my calorie range but it’s definitely hard to stick to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure your food correctly? Because many times, the small things like that can make a difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I don't think age 60 is magically evil, though I admit I started losing weight at 59 (didn't finish until 60). I'm now 67, at a healthy weight since that loss back then.

I just counted calories carefully and tried to get overall good nutrition on average: No special carb restrictions, eating hours, rules about processed foods, etc. I ate the same range of foods as before, just in different portion sizes, proportions on the plate, and frequencies. I did eat a lot of so-called "whole foods", but that's how I'd eaten when I got and stayed obese, too. I also didn't much change exercise while losing weight, but I admit I was already pretty active.

The things that tend to change as we age are that we lose muscle mass (if we don't take action to keep/increase it), and our daily life routine tends to become less active. Those are both things that we can counter intentionally. Also, getting adequate protein is increasingly important as we age.

Strength exercise of some type can help on the muscle mass side of things. When it comes to daily life activity, many MFP-ers share their strategies in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Different tactics work for different people. Just calorie counting, and remodeling my eating to stay sated and get nutrition on reduced calories, worked fine for me.
  • Latitude27N
    Latitude27N Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same spot at 65 and, after I left a very active job (12,000 to 14,000 steps) for a desk job, I put on 7 pounds. I have tried intermittent fasting and my doctor said it damaged my metabolism. She advised switching to more protein and a weight lifting regimen. I’ve only just begun so it’s early days and I don’t know if it’s helping yet.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You have not mentioned your height and your weight, so I don't know if you are close to your target goal or not. I have 10-12 pounds to lose, so a half a pound loss a week is about right. Keep doing what you are doing and let us know how how it's going in another few months.