Does weight lifting prevent weight loss?

Options
Hi, I'm hoping someone can reassure me on this, when I've lost weight before I've always found it easy on diet alone. I have a habit of lose a stone in a month and then gradually put it back on over a year and then lose it again. Honestly I'm happy with that set up.
But I've started weight training with my diet this time around - 3 times a week, 45 minutes at a gym with a proper instructor. My diet is 100% on point - low carb, healthy proteins, loads of veg, healthy fats, no proceessed food, no sugar, no alcohol keeping between 1200-1400 daily.
I've been doing this without missing a day or cheating at all for 3 weeks and I've not lost anything.
I'm used to being able to lose 2-3 lb a week on diet alone so this is really disheartening. However I do want to get stronger so I'm prepared to keep up the weight training. I just want to know if anyone else had this at the start because of weight training?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Weight training often causes water retention, which can mask fat loss on the scale. Furthermore, strength training will lessen the likelihood of losing muscle (fat is the stuff you want to lose).

Just have some more patience, and find other ways to measure your progress (measurements, the way clothes fit).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It can take 2-4 weeks depending on the intensity of the workouts for the body to acclimate to regular exercise. During this time water retention isn't uncommon and weight may even actually GO UP for many. Patience. It will resolve itself if you keep consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I find it weight loss slower when I weight lift and just expect it.
    To expand on above, I believe it's supposed to be the idea that with dieting alone, you'd expect to lose 50% fat and 50% muscle as part of each pound. Lifting helps to stop the loss of muscle, so in theory that's weight loss at half the rate (I'm not being literal here, just an analogy). So you might lose one pound instead of two (hopefully keeping the muscle mass) and then not be able to see that loss anyway because your body is holding onto water to help it repair your muscles. Does that make sense? Just weigh less often and trust (that parts hard!)
    I'm absolutely not a serious weightlifter, but it's enough of a pattern for me that I'm not bothered by it now and don't expect the scale to move as quickly.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oh, its worth remembering that while it might be slower weight loss, it might also help prevent regain after losing weight:
    there's suggestion that one of the reasons people regain weight is because they've lost muscle mass as they drop pounds, or as they age, which makes their overall energy needs smaller, so it's easier to overeat. Keep your muscle mass (hopefully) = more calories to live on afterwards 🤣 so don't get discouraged!
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements, My Fitness Pal has a check-in for this. I think you will be surprised how your body composition changes over the next several months. I'm lifting weights and my weight loss is slow as I only have 12-15 pounds to lose, but I am noticing the inches drop and noticing that my clothes are fitting better.