decrease in daily calorie allowance

Options
Does anyone know why the daily calorie allowance doesn't decrease with weight loss? I have lost 41lbs but the numbers don't change.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It's a glitch. If you change your activity level and/or weight loss rate and then change them back to what you want them to be, you'll have an updated calorie goal.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, about a decade ago at a 10 lbs loss one would get asked if they would like to adjust their calorie goal.
    I can’t remember it ever adjusting automatically, and don’t think it should.

Some people like to adjust for themselves as the rate of loss may need adjusting as well. Others prefer to stay on the initial calories knowing that they will coast down to s slower loss as they get closer to goal.

It basically give you-one the decision to make the changes you would like to make instead of dictating the change you should make.

Cheers, h.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    If I remember correctly, about a decade ago at a 10 lbs loss one would get asked if they would like to adjust their calorie goal.
    I can’t remember it ever adjusting automatically, and don’t think it should.

Some people like to adjust for themselves as the rate of loss may need adjusting as well. Others prefer to stay on the initial calories knowing that they will coast down to s slower loss as they get closer to goal.

It basically give you-one the decision to make the changes you would like to make instead of dictating the change you should make.

Cheers, h.

It never asked me anything when I lost weight. To me that's a glitch: if you lose weight and your goal rate and activity level stay the same, your body will burn fewer calories so eating at the same goal will eventually lead to lack of weight-loss and frustration. I had a drop of 150 calories a day in one go, I hadn't realised that my goal should have gone down with my weight loss.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agee. No longer asking at the 10 lbs loss is a glitch.

I don’t think an automatic adjustment is the way to go though.

Cheers, h.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Well, arguments about glitches aside (and there are many) -

The difference for a four pound loss is so insignificant - like what, 2 calories per day?

I would adjust at 10 pound increments. So when you lose 10 pounds, go back into "Goals" and check your current weight, then "Save." It will update your calorie goal when you "Save" at any time.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,646 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Many people become more active when they lose weight so for those, lowering calories will be different than someone that loses but isn’t more active.

The decrease is usually around 50-100 calories a day per 10 lbs of loss
  • Lietchi
    edited July 2023
    Options

The difference for a four pound loss is so insignificant - like what, 2 calories per day?

I would adjust at 10 pound increments. So when you lose 10 pounds, go back into "Goals" and check your current weight, then "Save." It will update your calorie goal when you "Save" at any time.

It's around 10 calories per 2lbs lost.
    And she has lost 41 lbs, not 4, so that's definitely worth updating 🙂
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

It's around 10 calories per 2lbs lost.
    And she has lost 41 lbs, not 4, so that's definitely worth updating 🙂

Oh, thanks! This:
    41lbs
    still looks like "4" to me. :lol: